KTM 800 Adventure confirmed as a future model (2018?)

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2016/june/stefan-pierer-exclusive-interview-part-one/

The new mid class is on the way, with the 800, and we will see a naked model first, the Duke – but this will be closely followed by an adventure bike, so the Africa Twin should be aware that a serious competitor is coming! 
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I have soft spot for KTMs. An 8hunny would tempt me big time! I've been thinking about the 690 as I'm a dirt guy at heart. The AT is cool, but I don't think I'd sell my Tiger for it. Watching this one closely! I hope they can make something under 450lbs! Probably dreamin'.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The AT parallel twin is already generating huge interest/desirability. Seems KTM will be looking for crumbs on this one unless the machine is really something special. With their V-twin following, why can't they come up with a 500cc/700cc design paired to a 7 speed gear box? Give it a single fuel tank that's easy to remove, single front disc,twin wide spread headlight windscreen assembly,without any lower bodywork like the SE. 2-1 exhaust that's integrated under the tail using heat shielding materials. Long maintenance intervals would be nice. I'll keep dreaming till then!

• Like 2

As long as KTM keeps the dirt heritage in the bike, they should do well. There are already two African Twins for sale in Ohio. I spoke with an AT owner Saturday at vintage days and asked his opinion of it. He shrugged and basically said it's a great bike but I don't think it excited him. His buddy has a 990R that they said out ran the AT. I'd take the AT over the Triumph or BMW 800's knowing Honda's reputation (I have a 600 Transalp I bought new in 89)

I'm hoping for a 690 version due to my style of riding but if the 800 is good enough, I'd buy that if it works well 2 up.

My 950 works well but I miss my 640 for tight trees and mud.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Thought this was best to carry on the discussion and I'm surprised the first spy shots weren't published here before http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/august/new-ktm-adventure-bike-800cc-rival-triumph-tiger-honda-africa-twin/

I almost want to say the shots are a little blurry on purpose to get some better ones later on.

Fast forward to today and voila new spy shots of a more refined 790 prototype undergoing testing http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/december/ktm-790-adventure-spy-pictures/

Still a lot of test equipment tacked on but it's taking shape.

Edited by good dog
  • Like 1

I'm hoping for a 690 version due to my style of riding but if the 800 is good enough, I'd buy that if it works well 2 up.

My 950 works well but I miss my 640 for tight trees and mud.

Guess what I bought back?

There was some thought that there would be a 690 Adventure based on the photo here http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/spy-photos-ktm-690-adventure/ you'd know better than I if there are any visible changes between 690 models or if this may have just been a test that any future KTM Adventure bike be able to compete against another benchmark the BMW. Me thinks the future 790 would be close in handling of the current 690 enduro if this was the basis for the test, but again a 690 Adventure bike might strip sales from the 790 and that's not good business practice when you are just introducing a new similar model.

Rumors also has it the current 690 Duke model is being retired once the 790 twin cylinder Duke is introduced. First seen here http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2015/august/ktm-parallel-twin-800-spied/

More refined here http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new-bikes/2016/july/new-ktm-800-duke-spied/ but like every prototype it may not look like the production model when it's released, similar but different.

Looks like the 790 might be capable https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=azVXkrbPtbo&ebc=ANyPxKqNuXHvjokpj8frTk05BCBsPLE19ylBEpjl1hMg5HJZ5XRvWfWeQ1ua31lt4OghF2SCMF_ENBXh7e4AJ9aKFstri1Wm_Q

Edited by good dog

I'm by far no expert on the 690 but the obvious is the exhaust change where there appears no similarity at all to the original. The subframe can be aluminum now, back to carbon for production.

If they make it an Adventure model, it would probably be too small physically for two up like my 640 is. My wife and I are in good shape but we barely fit on it. Her and the little one only rode once, both preferring the 950.

We were blindsided at the dealer meeting when they announced they dropped the XCF-W line and replacing them with EXC-F's.

• Like 2

And if Canadians are to be trusted. Since KTM/Husqvarna are one. Word has it Husqvarna will debut their version of the Adventure bike first, around the same time as KTM debuts their 790 Duke, followed eventually by KTM's version of the Adventure.

We may actually be looking at the Husky version. ?????

• Like 1

For you no, but for KTM dealers who continually lose customers to white KTM's, yes. Thankfully, they didn't give PDS to Husky or we'd lost more.

I'm a long time Husky fan and raced their bikes, Swedish and Italian. I have nothing against Husky but I wonder if it will become a house divided against itself.

If you recall Husaberg (which KTM owned) was also PDS and before the Husky buyout from BMW KTM's plan was to do the same as they are doing with Husky, expanding the product range. So who knows we may have been talking about Husaberg right now and it still may have shared the PDS. Having two different suspensions now as well as two separate R&D facilities does allow them to continue development of both at the same pace, maybe one will eclipse the other or nothing will change.

Interesting comment from another recent interview that sales gains in general have steadily risen since Roger Decoster joined KTM supercross team.

From Jon-Erik Burleson KTM's US president : “It was a challenge! The first obstacle was to try and relate motocross sales to supercross racing; you’ll never see a good penny come out of that. It is a struggle. I can only really speak for the United States but supercross is the pinnacle of motorcycle racing, so for a brand to do well in supercross has a positive benefit on everything you do. We sell more spare parts because of supercross, we sell more Adventures because of supercross. Our biggest sales gains came in every segment except motocross when Roger joined our group. I live, sleep, eat and breathe the American market every day so we see supercross and we see the 60,000 fans every weekend. When you witness market share gains in other areas of your business then that’s where it all ‘clicks’. Maybe it can be hard to grasp by watching it from a vast distance. For my personal career I have two or three inflection points, and for our company and brand there are also these key ‘moments’ and I think one of those was the day that Roger decided to join the company and it is a move that has had far-reaching results.”

And with success of brands come brand loyalties, and as a dealer you have to accept potential customers still don't have to buy the KTM they could be buying another brand, be it a blue, red or green. Be thankful that both KTM and Husky are doing well in Supercross, it bodes well for the company's future.

Edited by good dog

KTM was always at the forefront off off-road long before Roger, but thankfully he put KTM in the motocross game. The off-road will be getting even better because of the trickle down which is great.

Before KTM bought them, Husaburg was still a great bike but never really the big player Husky was at one time. From what I understood, KTM bought Husaburg for their four stroke technology, I'm not sure why they bought Husky unless it was electronics developed by Speedbrain and BMW.

I agree people should have a choice, but the original issue is, KTM took riders away from their own small business dealers. Now say husky releases a new middleweight adventure months or a year before KTM, small business owners lose some of those customers as well because they cannot afford to keep buying franchises and we know how impatient people are to get the latest and greatest.

With a franchise for dirt and street for each, there are multiple levels of minimum orders for each of them. Pretty soon, you run out of money and or what ever doesn't sell, you pay interest on. Its not like we'd be able to order 3 KTM and 2 Husky to make our minimum 500cc order, we'd have to order 5 of each. Now I have 10 in a market where I'd be lucky to sell 5. I'm all about competition, but I'm also all about not being unemployed.

I was at KTM corporate in Amherst the last three days and the legendary John Penton stopped in for while. You ask KTM questions about the future and all you get are shrugs or smiles. All I got was Husky is going in a different direction, "KTM would be hardcore competition and Husky more "lifestyle" like in the new Vitpilon, Svartpilin". This past summer they told us Husqvarna was going tap into Triumphs share of the market.

I guess in some ways Adventure riding is more of a life style than a competition until it becomes a rich mans dick swinging contest to see who can afford the most gadgets!

Maybe Husky can take over the flagship bikes to ride to Starbucks and KTM can make an affordable 450, 690 and 790 Ready to Race Rally without all the fringe?

I guess we'll see what happens

• Like 2

I guess in some ways Adventure riding is more of a life style than a competition until it becomes a rich mans dick swinging contest to see who can afford the most gadgets!

This what it has been for a long time.

There's no difference between the Adv riders gang and the cruiser/Harley gang.

Just look at the Instagram feed of XLADV: mostly pictures with (accessorized) bikes. It's not like people are really interested in showing the places where they go.

Or have you noticed that in many forums posts, the lack of cruise control is considered by many to be a fatal flaw of a modern adv bike?

• Like 2

There's no difference between the Adv riders gang and the cruiser/Harley gang.

Careful, someone could get butt hurt, plus that's a good way to get excommunicated from the Adv community! Last time I did that, I got an earful :)

But you are right about some guys who are more about show than go. But Adventure is different to everyone, for some, leaving their county is an Adventure, other it must be a near death experience.

Through work, I've ridden every full sized KTM offered in the USA in the past four years and the Adv bikes of a number of others. Yes there's faster, smoother and prettier but I've been content to keep riding my 95hp 950 Adv knowing I don't need 150hp. The beast has 119,000 miles and it shows.

It's also cool that my 03 950 is not too different than Meoni's 950 he raced in Dakar. The racer in me looks at the off-road performance vs the highway gobbling standards set forth by BMW. Don't get me wrong, BMW makes great bikes and I considered one one before buying my 950.

Edited by MGorman