KTM 800 Adventure confirmed as a future model (2018?)

Indeed some comparisons might be made with the "Cruiser Crowd" but ADVers as a whole as represented by that other place or indeed even here are far more egalitarian. I may scoff at the beemer rider, but not his mount. Or a KTM or Husky or anybody else who's throwing their hat in the ring in this ever-expanding market for mid-sized large ADV bikes.

Whereas by and large, if you ain't on a Harley you ain't on ***t as far as the masses go. Sucks really as if the resuscitated Indian was actually not part of the Conglomo That Shall Not Be Named they'd be a worthy contender for the "all -American " crowd to go gaga over instead of Victory being by far the most American bike for that set.

But as for the ADV "set", well even as evidenced over at ADVR they are generally a whole lot more diverse. Even if they don't ride. And mostly pose. Oh, and commute to various countrified group watering hole/ camp grounds to pose.

But the bikes they pose with and the stuff they use/buy/glorify is by and large a LOT more diverse than what can be contained under any one roof like they have at the Harley place.

But back on track, good on Kato for bringing another middie to the Market. With the Husky 701 covering the big-bore dirt bike with a plate demographic I'm anxious to see something different out of KTM for this as there is a rather largish hole that could be filled.

I've seen the AT now in person and at least for me the Tiger is it as far as size/weight goes. The fit/finish on the AT was very poor comparatively, especially if factored against any of the European bikes and there were some troubling reports from EICMA about the ones there, although to be fair most guys who have them in the Wild seem to love them.

I just didn't dig on the crap welds and hastily applied vinyl of the specimen I saw which really made me scoff in comparison to my Tiger.

Overall, I'm glad I didn't wait as the bikes are close enough on paper performance-wise and I can actually wrestle my Kitty to upright by myself without tricks but I'd be sore tempted by a KTM/Husky of about that size at under 400.

maybe he meant the people who are on the advrider forum aren't much different from the harley crowd? I wasn't sure I understood it properly

I meant exactly what I wrote: most of the adv crowd is just about image, not actual adventure.

Just like other crowds are about accessorizing and showing off.

There's absolutely no difference between a lot of the guys on big bikes boasting about their crashbars and alu boxes and and GoreTex gear and the corresponding chrome and leather and accesorizing mania of the cruiser guys (or similar stuff in the sport crowd).

Edited by digitallysane
  • Like 1

You're right, KTM left a huge void that needs filled. It's sad they've had that 690 for nearly a decade and have the tank molds from the 690 Rally and never even tried. I sold my 640 to do a 530 Rally build but everyone with a 530 believes they are more valuable than a newer 500. After a year of looking, the owner of my old 640 texted me and offered it back. After a couple weeks I dropped my 950 on a grade by myself and struggled to lift it back up. After some negotiation I bought the 640 back to use in technical stuff by myself until I find or build something more suitable. And I'm going back to the gym!

I've slowly given up most forums except those I feel are informative and not full of asshats. I won't get into the whole cultural issues but people due tend to blossom fully into the cult associated with the machine unless they are multi brand owners which most of my good friends are. I still have a half dozen Honda's in my garage including an 98 1100 Aero and the 89 Transalp I bought brand new 27 years ago so I'm not a full blow KTM snob! I even ride the Honda's to work on occasion. Even my boss and shop owner owns a Honda Ace.

The Tiger is a nice bike but I never had the chance to ride the beast in the dirt

• Like 1