New member - Toronto, Canada

KTMs for any riding conditions,excellent! You've got a full orange blood transfusion, lol ! When the Super Enduro first showed up in the bike mags, I thought who the hell is crazy enough to ride that beast off-road ? At the time I was fully committed to BMWs so never looked into them. Now , as an ADV-R owner, I wish I had bought one ! Welcome to the forum! Yeah , 3 KTMs = gnarly!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Well, the 990 SMR has now been sold so I'm down to the other two. The 530 is my dedicated day ride / rally bike and the 950SE is for everything else from day rides to multi-day tours. For day rides, I have a few favourite spots and rides with either bike; the Orangeville to Creemore and back ride (about a total of 6 hours of mixed riding length), the Bethany ride that includes portions of the Ganaraska forest area, bobcaygeon trails and portions of the TCAT (for multi-day gravel and off road riding). Right now, I'm on my third week following a big crash just outside of the Peterborough area on day one of a three day off road tour. Front tire locked up on a short section of Tarmac connecting trails and it washed out, crashing me down on the left and the left foot peg crushed my left ankle. Broken bone, torn ligament, first surgery one week ago (with a second six months from now) and lots of slow therapy is what I get to look forward to so my season is over.

What do you ride and what kind of riding do you like to do? I manage a good sized group of local riders of varying skills and interests on a whatsapp thread on our mobile phones - everything from bike related BS to ride planning and ad-hoc rides is what we post on it. Let me know if you're interested in joining the group - we get together for beers and pub fair regularly over the winter months.

Edited by Alon
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

From one Orange "bleeder" to another, sorry to read about your get-off and ankle injury. I too have suffered from a motorcycle vs. deer broken/hurt ankle. Not good as there's so much force needed while up on the pegs off-road. In my case the ortho. felt that the nature of my fractures and lack of tendon/ligament rupture was best left to heal in a cast since I really didn't like the idea if metal in my body. Give yourself plenty of time and any extra time to heal up. Don't kid yourself about being ready to get back at it prematurely. I've been healed up for 4 years now but my 7 day a week construction work is now aggravating my ankle. My fear is not being able to ride off-road etc. in the future. Do all you can to rehab and eventually ride! :)

Yeah - I didn't have a choice in terms of the screws, I need them to hold the tibia and fibula together at a specific distance for the ligament to repair. Had my post-surgery follow up and found out that the bones are healing nicely but the ligament is worse than they had initially thought so now I'm stuck in this air-cast and crutches with zero weight on that leg u tail end of March. Yes - 3.5 more months of this agony...I think by the time I take my first step on that leg, it will collapse given all the atrophy from not being used.

Hey Alon, I'm in Toronto as well. Where do you ride those babies! I've spent most of my seat time on long adventures mostly in the US. More recently I've gotten the off-road bug. Where do you go from TO for a good day in the dirt?

And for anyone else in Ontario or any country http://www.motowhere.com/listpaths/country/43/region/37/city/16371 is a website that you can put in any city/town any country and if somebody's posted a ride it'll show up.

@Alon you mentioned Orangeville, one of my favourite regions, if you ride with a GPS you can take many of the dirt roads that intersect the paved parts, twists and turns and some beautiful scenery to boot. I've been riding about 36 years (feeling like the old guy) many of them up around there, and just last year I went up with someone who explores regularly, found two roads that I'd been driving past for years, now part of a modified loop.

Another resource for us Ontarioans is http://www.backroadmapbooks.com/backcountry-maps/backroad-mapbooks/ontario-backroad-maps also available in GPS mapping. I do like the books, fits in a wolfman tail bag and you can explore roads less taken when sitting in some little cafe you stumbled upon.

There's a guy on GTA Motorcycle (GTAM) that posts more adventurous GPS routes for download (been safe so far) that Adventure bikes can manoeuvre through. He does indicate if it's not possible so no real risk except for weather. I'll see if I can find his threads and post some links.

Cheers

Doug

Edited by good dog

@Alon - just out of curiosity , were you wearing full motocross boots or non armored? In my case I was riding directly from work with heavy leather Chippewas on and had I been wearing my ADV boots I may have gotten off easier. Shit happens when we ride , hopefully you'll get back at it in due course.

I was in full armour head to toe. My boots were Sidi Crossfire TA2 and I didn't sustain a single scratch apart from my ankle injury. I think that what caused it was two-fold: the entire weight of the bike coming down was focused onto the inside of my ankle when the footpeg crashed onto it and once down and sliding, that same footpeg had my foot hooked and twisted it around. I am quite confident that if I were wearing lesser boots, I would have torn my foot off and if I weren't wearing my knee braces, the twisting would have destroyed my left knee. It's just one of those things...now I feel like crap sitting on my house unable to do anything while my poor wife is outside shovelling the snow.

Edited by Alon
  • Like 1

Yeah, in the moment it sucks for sure but hopefully in the future with rehab and being mindful of your injury you'll regain your mobility etc. Like you said it could've been much worse. I for one know I've used up several of my moto "lives" over my years but hope to continue as my body allows. Props to the wife for helping out. Cheers , Pete