Best of the Backcountry Expedition - 2016

Great photos, I can't wait to get out there. Only 10 more days!

Imogene is the toughest pass we did and they found they didn't have the skill/stamina I guess. They took pavement to meet us at camp.

Good nights sleep last night finally. It rained briefly but not much.

We set out for I don't know where today.

Our progress so far today is an average 35 mph.

Pitkin for a short stop then on to a hot spring!

IMG_7415.JPG

Celebratory dinner here in Buena Vista

IMG_7429.JPG

Jesper dinged his front rim (BMW GSA) bad on a rock and it blew coming down the twisties on Cottonwood pass. Lucky for him he didn't wreck.

Jesper dinged his front rim (BMW GSA) bad on a rock and it blew coming down the twisties on Cottonwood pass. Lucky for him he didn't wreck.

Tubed tires rule...

It's tubed now!

Quick day back to Cortez. All highway but fun twisties. Just stopped in Rico for lunch

IMG_7436.JPG

Big dam!

IMG_7434.JPG

Fly fisherman below

IMG_7433.JPG

Nice dinner last night in Cortez at the Loungin Lizzard. On the road back home today.

Stopped here for coffee

IMG_7461.JPG

I got 29 gb of video just from Wiel, never mind my own to go through. The video will be epic for sure.

Can't believe I missed this thread, I guess the title threw me off. I would have rode down and at least met up somewhere along the way for one or two of those passes.. I want in on the next trip!

REALLY funny story here about this video

https://instagram.com/p/BI7-i_sjGxI/

So Tomas let us shoot his .45-70 bear gun but poor Franco was off (to the side) in the woods washing himself in a creek. When he heard the shot go off he thought that we might be shooting for real at a bear! He got so scared he dropped a deuce right there in the creek!

This second to last day when we stopped in Pitkin to rest... we went onto lunch at Tin Cup (Frenchy's) then on up to Cottonwood pass and then down to the hot springs resort we were staying at.

Well Jesper had dinged his front rim pretty bad on the dirt road before Tin Cup and then on the twisty pavement down from Cottonwood pass in a corner the front tire lost pressure suddenly and luckily for him, he slowed down and stopped.  The front tire just gave way due to that ding.  We put a tube in it and he was fine.  He said he bought wheel/rim insurance at the dealer so apparently they'll take care of it.  Just glad he wasn't injured.

This second to last day when we stopped in Pitkin to rest... we went onto lunch at Tin Cup (Frenchy's) then on up to Cottonwood pass and then down to the hot springs resort we were staying at.

Well Jesper had dinged his front rim pretty bad on the dirt road before Tin Cup and then on the twisty pavement down from Cottonwood pass in a corner the front tire lost pressure suddenly and luckily for him, he slowed down and stopped.  The front tire just gave way due to that ding.  We put a tube in it and he was fine.  He said he bought wheel/rim insurance at the dealer so apparently they'll take care of it.  Just glad he wasn't injured.

Just wait one freaking minute, RIM INSURANCE?? Man, I guess I am new to this stuff!!!

It came with a free espresso maker  :lol:

I uploaded all my short videos I got on the phone to Vimeo...

San Juan river quite full at Mexican Hat after the recent rains

Riding Valley of the Gods

Pools of water at Muley Point

Walking along the edge at Muley Point

Wiel with the best seat in the house

The sound of rain on a tin roof

Stream and waterfall at Telluride campground

Ilio shoots the .45-70.  Note that we were shooting at a target on the hillside.  We suggested he wear eye and ear protection so don't have a cow

Corkscrew Pass

And the video...

I pulled together video from my Sena 10C helmet cam, Sena Prism, my iPhone 6 and Wiel's Contour!

And the video...

I pulled together video from my Sena 10C helmet cam, Sena Prism, my iPhone 6 and Wiel's Contour!

The video theme is "GS's are very sleepy"

Thanks, Eric! You really helped make this ride a great success and got a great full body workout lifting those BMWs. For the rest of you, Eric was gracious enough to ride sweep for most of the trip and worked hard to coach some of the riders who faced their fears on the passes. Thank you for doing the video and being such a fine representative for the ADV community.

Great video, Eric. Really enjoyed riding with and second what JJ said, that you were a great help to all of us on the ride. Enjoyed riding the 990 project bike. gotta get me some of that Konflict Suspension. Awesome trip again by the GoodAdv Co. I will be talking to Jesper real soon to figure out when we can come down and you can give us the BAJA tour.

Some choice shots by Wiel

IMG_1966.jpg

IMG_2672.jpg

IMG_2685.jpg

IMG_2703.jpg

IMG_2732.jpg

IMG_2743-2.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

IMG 2852

IMG 2882

IMG 2172

IMG 2942

IMG 2963

IMG 3029

IMG 3028

IMG 2271

IMG 3117

IMG 2345 2

IMG 2344

IMG 2291

Looks like a trip that you'll talk about forever... I love "Remember when..." stuff.  :thumbsup:

Picked up this antique cut nail in my rear tire. Must have been near one of those old mines we passed

IMG_7663.JPG