RANT…. Who hates the wave?

Off Road Rider - Yes , I do agree , you'll have " squids" riding all manner of two wheels and yes , just because someone rides and enjoys Harley's doesn't mean they refuse to embrace or recognize ADV riding. As a two wheeled motorcycling community we all need to be as one group to be respected on the road. I also have ridden and enjoyed company with all manner of motorcyclists and just enjoy having two wheels and an open road to ride. As I see it we're fighting to be recognized on the road because of all the distractions the car driver has now , so the wave should be used as a common bond. Ride on

• Like 1

I find this funny and sad at the same time,

As a life long rider of anything on two wheels with the ability to have many bikes,I get to experience things others might not.

I love my Harleys as much as my ADV bikes and dirt bikes, often Ill ride all in one day.. I see far more Dip shts and squids on ADV bikes then ever on harleys, 

There are jokers in every crowd. We are all riders doing what we love, what you ride should not have an impact on the "wave" subject. But here are my observations.

I hate the wave, but do it so I am not a jerk. If Im on My adv bike, Haleys generally wave back,In fact I have converted many into ADV riders. (A few of these guys can run circles around most others in the dirt or on the road). I usually have them come up and ask about my KTM 990.. whats that? it sounds bad ass, Is that a v twin ect ect..

Now, if Im on my Harley, ADV riders look surprised when I wave. If I am on my Harley I go out of my way to make the ADV squid think twice about his pompous attitude. They run and hide, if I pull up next to them, they snivel and wont look you in the eye, They are afraid the boogey man might get them :)  once I make the effort to talk to them, I soon see their jaw drop because they realize I might know more about their bikes then they do..

Talk to that other rider, you might find out you have a lot in common. regardless of what bike they may be riding.

Please dont judge a book by its cover, Riders for the most part are all great people, Particularly Harley riders will give you the shirt of their back, No other user group has done more for others than the HD crowd.  

I also hate the wave in my Jeep and vette, just because we drive the same rig doesn't mean I want to wave at every other damn rig on the road.  How can I hold my beer??  Just joking :)

It's great to hear different opinions, good or bad. I would have a conversation or a beer with anyone that is on 2 wheels of any kind if they are willing and also help anyone that was in need. I get the reason behind the wave is because we all have the same passion for climbing on our iron horses and riding nowhere in particular for hundreds of miles. Everyone ride safe and keep your hands on your grips!!

To me "the wave" is actually more about not getting nailed by overzealous cops writing tickets for minor infractions, and anticipating unseen hazards, than it is about "good vibes" (thought I guess that's cool too).

When I give someone "the wave" and they do not respond with anything, I don't get offended, I just have no indication of what's ahead, out of my view. If they give me the helmet pat, I know there is a cop, accident, or other hazard in my near future. If they simply give me a wave back, then that's usually a fair indication that all is good ahead. That doesn't mean I let my guard down, or assume there is nothing to worry about, it's just a little extra help, and maybe I can ride with a little extra gusto on that next turn.

Also, I'm surprised to hear everyone using Harley riders as the example of people constantly waving. Whether I'm on my GS or Triumph Bonneville, those Sons of Anarchy wannabees are usually the LAST guys waving in my direction because they are SO TOUGH!

• Like 1

You see, down here, Harley riders aren't seen in a very positive way.

Don't get me wrong, I know a couple and all are good guys, cheerful, etc...the problem is related to what they ride.
Alright let's start from the beginning.
Down here there are VERY strict laws regarding noise emissions, and tuning in general. For example: If I should mount an aftermarket exhaust, I'm pretty much getting a ticket the moment the cops stop me.
Harley riders, on the other hand, get away for free because (and that's what a friend of mine, who's a cop, told me): "at least they're not going fast, they just make noise".

Noise uh? Too bad it's almost DOUBLE the noise a "normal" motorcycle makes.
Back when mom had a shop in the center of town, I often went there to help her out, and I remember those guys, passing by on they Harleys: I swear to god the glasses on the shop were SHAKING.

I'm sorry, I went offtopic...

Alright, back into topic...down here, rarely, VERY rarely, Harley (or custom) riders wave or give the salute to other kinds of bikes/riders.

First time commenter, long term lurker. First of all let me say how great the articles and reviews are on here. Great stuff, keep it up!

"The wave": Everyone is entitled to their opinion, so I guess do what makes you happy. On the other hand my wife and I often say "what a jackass" ( we use Sena comms and chat all the time) when somebody doesn't reciprocate. It's almost become kind of a running joke to make up ridiculous stories about why they wouldn't wave (troubled childhood, envy that they aren't on an ADV bike, etc). In my experience most of the non wavers seem to actually be Harley (cruiser) riders who appear to be trying to stay "in character". At a minimum you will get a head nod of acknowledgement from me ( except scooter riders. We try not to encourage them ).As for Spyders, we have family who own them, so they get a free pass from us. I like to mix things up, so I might give the "victory salute", the ADVRider salute, or a full high five spastic full arm swing. I've even been known to give an "air tittie squeeze" when I'm bored ( the looks are rather hilarious). Just depends on how I'm feeling at the time.

I think we are all out there to have a good time and enjoy ourselves. As social animals we tend to migrate to those who have similar interests, so it's natural for us to do things that might facilitate that interaction. while I don't look at the wave as being obligatory, I do actually like it because I know somebody else is out there having just as great of a day as I am.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 4

• Administrators

That's It! The super secret XLADV wave/sign ! The " air boobie squeeze "! Love it ! Maybe the lady members could give the "air butt cheek squeeze " ! Lol!

Where I ride (country bumpkinville), they'll only get it if I do the squeeze with my hands down around my hips. :blink:

• Like 2

That's It! The super secret XLADV wave/sign ! The " air boobie squeeze "! Love it ! Maybe the lady members could give the "air butt cheek squeeze " ! Lol!

Did the boob squeeze wave to a bunch of cruiser riders on Highway 20 once. The looks were pretty priceless. Reasonably sure they either thought I giving them some sort of hand signal they didn't know or I was propositioning them Either way I got a good laugh out of it.

Keep in mind there are many variations (these are the things running through my mind when I'm riding all the straight flatness that is central WA). There's also the "Centurion cross chest fist salute", "British soldier salute", " Techno dance club fist pump", "standing crotch grab"( like the ADVRider salute, might be considered offensive by some) "excited four year old kid". The possibilities are limited only to your imagination.

• Like 1

Well Rooster 72 sure did start a topic with a lot of diverse viewpoints! I think we can all agree that there's something about being in the wind on two wheels that the insulated , never been on a motorcycle, " cager " will never get. There fore as motorcyclists we should all work to ensure that we recognize one another no matter our brand/ type loyalties.Still having trouble with the whole Spyder same as a motorcyclist thought. IDK. What's next ? An on/off road , knobby tires Spyder? The ADV Spyder !

• Like 1

Well Rooster 72 sure did start a topic with a lot of diverse viewpoints! I think we can all agree that there's something about being in the wind on two wheels that the insulated , never been on a motorcycle, " cager " will never get. There fore as motorcyclists we should all work to ensure that we recognize one another no matter our brand/ type loyalties.Still having trouble with the whole Spyder same as a motorcyclist thought. IDK. What's next ? An on/off road , knobby tires Spyder? The ADV Spyder !

I frankly don't care one way or another anymore as it seems to piss off everyone when you wave while standing. Especially if your bike is as well-poised as some of our bigger bikes and has cruise. Just bugs 'em right out, I don't care who.

But I wave as a show of respect to a fellow two wheeler the way it was intended. I also own a ZR1 and wave to ALL Corvettes regardless of vintage or condition the way that is intended as well. I looked forward to owning one for many years and even although I've been blessed enough to be able to afford such a nice one I'm respectful to all who are not so.

Same with bikes..... I start wanting to pigeonhole cruiser riders for being squids just because we have so many here in the Metro area who are and then I catch a Harley guy 2 up on FS11/Quartzville which although mostly paved has some pretty rough stretches and is specifically NOT recommended by the Forestry Service for cruiser type bikes. He waved when they went by.

For me it's just more a show of respect as I say. There's certain crap you have to put up with as a Motorcyclist that others just don't see or experience at all. I've even gotten the wave back from LE out here as unlikely as that sounds what with our State Patrol's new propensity for kicking motorcyclists while holding a gun on them.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...