RANT…. Who hates the wave?

I have been anti-wave for a while now to other motorcyclists other than the occasional ADV, dual sport rider or someone that's out in the same shitty weather as me and that's only when I'm not rolling around a corner at 20 mph above the speed limit or holding on for dear life in a rock mine. There's nothing more I hate when I'm on my way to the hills than 20,000 Harley Davidson wanna be MC club, bar hopping dress up clowns waving at every Tom, Dick or Harry they meet on the road. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike Harley's as a matter of fact I'm a fan of all motorcycles in general and have put many miles on an Ultra Classic and a Soft Tail. I just hate the NEVER ENDING WAVES by helmet-less morons!!! Sorry if I offended anyone, but I come from the off-road world of MX and trail riding where we don't have to wave to be cool, Rant Over.

Edited by Rooster72
  • Like 2

• Administrators

I like the wave. It's good vibes in a world that seems to suck hairy donkey thingies... 👍 I wave when I can, but don't worry about it I miss a few. But, I'll admit, I don't wave to the custom chopper guys. They rarely wave back. I guess I typically wave more to riders that are a bit more similar (dualsport, ADV, touring).

Just don't buy a Jeep too. You'll get wave-lash quickly! I have a TJ and wave, but less at JK owners. Too many damn soccer moms that don't get it. :P

12778_Black.jpg

• Like 4

I like the wave. It's good vibes in a world that seems to suck hairy donkey thingies... 👍 I wave when I can, but don't worry about it I miss a few. But, I'll admit, I don't wave to the custom chopper guys. They rarely wave back. I guess I typically wave more to riders that are a bit more similar (dualsport, ADV, touring).

Just don't buy a Jeep too. You'll get wave-lash quickly! I have a TJ and wave, but less at JK owners. Too many damn soccer moms that don't get it. :P

12778_Black.jpg

I figured I might catch some grief from you on this. You'll have to excuse me for a while as I might fly off the handle from time to time, I'm still a little hung-over from the mayhem over at TT and sincerely trying to move forward into a more adult community of riders. 

• Administrators

I figured I might catch some grief from you on this. You'll have to excuse me for a while as I might fly off the handle from time to time, I'm still a little hung-over from the mayhem over at TT and sincerely trying to move forward into a more adult community of riders. 

No grief. It's all good! But, you're correct; the vibe over here is def more "mature". But, hopefully not stuffy or boring! Definitely trying to attract people that love to ride, love to share their experiences, and are good to one another. So, with a few hundred members, I think we've maxed out. ;)

I think (hope it will grow), there's just a lot fewer ADV enthusiasts out there compared to the TT crowd for sure. Yeah, I obviously enjoy messing with people, its all in good fun. As far as XLADV I'm a huge fan of the reviews and articles, I've learned a lot from them being an ADV newbie and I use the term "newbie" lightly. Keep it up!!

• Administrators

I don't mind waving but I do admit I don't wave to the Can Am Spyder people  :lol:

I was surprised back in March when I was in Death Valley at the same time as a huge ADV rally when I saw countless dual sport and ADV bikes and barely one of them waved back at me.  Im not the Ned Flanders type who has to be super positive and wave at everyone but I was a bit disappointed.  I was like "but these are my people!"

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I don't mind waving but I do admit I don't wave to the Can Am Spyder people  :lol:

I was surprised back in March when I was in Death Valley at the same time as a huge ADV rally when I saw countless dual sport and ADV bikes and barely one of them waved back at me.  Im not the Ned Flanders type who has to be super positive and wave at everyone but I was a bit disappointed.  I was like "but these are my people!"

I think that's a good thing, we should have our own secret XLADV signal anyway! Maybe we just stand up every-time we cross paths? LOL…. The Wave was originated by the Harley crowd I believe, and they can have it.

• Haha 1

I'll wave if I'm into it. Typically everybody, well, not three wheelers, people in shorts and tank tops, definitely nobody sporting a Mohawk, or freak shows of any denomination.   Always to the guys and gals on the way to work,see them a lot. Kids in the back of mom's car staring with their mouths open, big wave. People on cell phones, or those who don't stay in their lane at the right turn light and tailgaters, get a wave, but with one finger.

• Like 2

• Contributor

+1 for the wave...for now...

Could be that I've been a Jeep owner for many years, and until recently it was a "club" of folks that understood the same pain...the pain and cost of owning a CJ/YJ/TJ. Now that we have more of the 4-door JK crowd, using their offroad vehicles as space-limited, convertible, grocery-getters on the road...they don't get it, and most likely never will. Here's my 1981 CJ-7: (Doesn't my wife look happy?)

jeep-estes-med.jpg

• Like 1

I try to wave at basically any motorcycle rider. It's just natural now after so many years of riding, but I HATE!!! when people in California, especially Harley riders, wave at EVERY single car that moves over when they're lane splitting! Keep your hands on the freak'n handle bars when your filtering traffic, or get out of my way!! Sorry for the rant, but it's been getting to me :)

• Administrators

I try to wave at basically any motorcycle rider. It's just natural now after so many years of riding, but I HATE!!! when people in California, especially Harley riders, wave at EVERY single car that moves over when they're lane splitting! Keep your hands on the freak'n handle bars when your filtering traffic, or get out of my way!! Sorry for the rant, but it's been getting to me :)

I'd just settle for being able to split. :( I love that when I lived there. :ride:

• Like 1

• Administrators

I think that's a good thing, we should have our own secret XLADV signal anyway! Maybe we just stand up every-time we cross paths? LOL…. The Wave was originated by the Harley crowd I believe, and they can have it.

Someone has to be a leader. Start the ADV'r trend my boy! :ride:

• Like 1

Seems like every cruiser/ Harley rider expects every passing motorcyclist to throw out an obligatory hand as if paying a toll to ride the same road as them. It's tiring at times and I find myself less and less inclined to do so. If it's a fellow adventurer type , instead of the low , waving at the ground signal , I'll give a more unique hand up above the bars wave that I'll usually have returned in the same manner. That confuses the leather chaps crowd.

• Like 1

Seems like every cruiser/ Harley rider expects every passing motorcyclist to throw out an obligatory hand as if paying a toll to ride the same road as them. It's tiring at times and I find myself less and less inclined to do so. If it's a fellow adventurer type , instead of the low , waving at the ground signal , I'll give a more unique hand up above the bars wave that I'll usually have returned in the same manner. That confuses the leather chaps crowd.

I'm glad to see some riders feel the same way. I will do some crazy stuff just screwing with people sometimes when I'm about to fall asleep bored and tired on the pavement to try to keep myself awake from being off-road all day and making my way home (you know how it is). I will throw a crazy wave up high (wrong hand) and out of control or my new favorite is a double thumbs up pointed there direction with both feet off the pegs!! I think my next new one will be the "patent pending" Ape Hanger double pistol? Edited by Rooster72
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Aaaaah, the wave... love/hate relationship, going on here.

First, we don't actually "wave" in Italy, we do some sort of a victory sign, but horizontal. It's kinda hard to put into words, we just call it the "salute".

Anyway, back when I started riding on the road, I did that thing to literally EVERYBODY I'd see on two wheels sitting on an engine. Yup, I said it.

Nowadays...meh. I'm getting tired of all this. So yeah, I may sound like a douche, but I only wave when somebody waves first. Look, I know it's a nice thing, positive vibes, really, it's cool. But some of the "wavers" are damn maniacs. You'll see them on sportbikes, almost kneedragging, and they still do the thing. I mean damnit, c'mon.

Sorry about the rant, guys.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find this funny and sad at the same time,

As a life long rider of anything on two wheels with the ability to have many bikes,I get to experience things others might not.

I love my Harleys as much as my ADV bikes and dirt bikes, often Ill ride all in one day.. I see far more Dip shts and squids on ADV bikes then ever on harleys, 

There are jokers in every crowd. We are all riders doing what we love, what you ride should not have an impact on the "wave" subject. But here are my observations.

I hate the wave, but do it so I am not a jerk. If Im on My adv bike, Haleys generally wave back,In fact I have converted many into ADV riders. (A few of these guys can run circles around most others in the dirt or on the road). I usually have them come up and ask about my KTM 990.. whats that? it sounds bad ass, Is that a v twin ect ect..

Now, if Im on my Harley, ADV riders look surprised when I wave. If I am on my Harley I go out of my way to make the ADV squid think twice about his pompous attitude. They run and hide, if I pull up next to them, they snivel and wont look you in the eye, They are afraid the boogey man might get them :)  once I make the effort to talk to them, I soon see their jaw drop because they realize I might know more about their bikes then they do..

Talk to that other rider, you might find out you have a lot in common. regardless of what bike they may be riding.

Please dont judge a book by its cover, Riders for the most part are all great people, Particularly Harley riders will give you the shirt of their back, No other user group has done more for others than the HD crowd.  

I also hate the wave in my Jeep and vette, just because we drive the same rig doesn't mean I want to wave at every other damn rig on the road.  How can I hold my beer??  Just joking :)

• Like 3