• Administrators

shinko804805_big_block_adventure_touringshinko804805_big_block_adventure_touring

What is the deal with this tire from Shinko?  I've been seeing more and more of it lately with lots of good reports.  I checked the reviews at Revzilla and it's rated 4.9/5.0 with 27 ratings!

I only heard one bad report from a guy whose name I can't recall down in San Diego who is a helicopter pilot; he said the rear tends to hop and skip around in gravel.  But then Brent Smith just ran them on his 990ADV up to Idaho and back to Park City and he loves them.

As to price, an 805 rear in 150/70/18 (my size) is just $141.76.

But what I found really interesting was last night on Instagram, whoever manages the Shinko account for Australia chimed in with this:

The continental is built in the same factory as the 805. They share the same carcass construction, same rubber compound and a slightly different tread pattern. Although there is usually a large differential in cost depending on where in the world you are

If you have tried them, please leave a review here

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

what's your experience?

I've had good dirt time with it and about 400 highway miles with it.

The tire is a solid choice.

Pros:

-Super great dirt hook up. That rear is practically a paddle tire compared to what I'm used to. New Years Day after the rain I putted around and almost got caught in some very loose dirt/grass, but with some throttle the bad boy hooked it up with a rain of traction and dirt flying. 

-Good braking traction descending in dirt.

-Excellent road manners. I'm no knee dragger but they give me confidence, are smooth at speed and planted...no vagueness.

Cons:

-Wearing somewhat quickly like an 80/20 would...so it's not really a con, but I'll just mention it here. I'd say it has another 2k on it I'm guessing.

-Slippery a bit on road reflectors at slow speeds....but it could be just me.

-Under 10mph they are bumpy...but I can't tell if it's the TKC80 up front which is just terrible for street IMO.

I could easily use this rear all the time...it shines in dirt and is very polite on the road.

Edited by ewxlt
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I want to try to get a better idea of mileage on the rear.  My benchmarks are the TKC-80 of which I'd get ~3200 miles on the GSA and 2600 on the 990.  Brent claims he's getting double the mileage of a TKC-80 on the rear so that's promising.  I hope to get a set soon and see for myself.  As I said above, they're on sale at Revzilla meaning you could get a set for under $200.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Curiosity got the best of me and I sensed a good story (what other topic generates more discussion?) so I got me a set of these to try on the #xladvproject990.

Dealer locator you can find here but got mine from BikeBandit for basically $200 ($75 front; $125 rear).

IMG_9764.JPG

• Like 1

• Administrators

The sticker on the rear tire says: "mount balancing dot on sidewall adjacent to valve stem.  The red dot is the lightest point of the tire"  But there's no red dot! :(

Also, the recommended pressure on the side of the tires says 33 psi rear and 41 front!  That surprised me a bit.  I usually go about 38 front, 34 rear on highway then about 28 front/rear off road.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

Was that a serious question or a dig at the fact I have to date still been unable to ride it?  :lol:

I'm reviewing these tires so I'm just going to go with what is on the side of the tires as the mfg's recommended pressure.  I will double check but I think the rear said 34 and the front 40.  When in the dirt I lower it to about 30/28 for a bit more traction but still to protect the rims.