Stop reading about & watching videos on new bikes!

• Administrators

If you're like me, you love to read about and watch videos on new bikes. It's interesting, cool, and fun! And, after doing this last night, I started feeling like I need a better, more capable bike (mostly in the off-road area). Maybe a KTM 990, 1190R, or even an 2016 Africa Twin.

Today, I reminded myself that my 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC has great power, is fun to ride, and has goes where I ask it to take me without any real issues. So, what I need is simply to be satisfied with the great bike that I have and spend the delta between its current value and a "better bike" on going on exciting, memorable riding trips and beer for my buddies. I'm a marketer by trade, but for at least a day, was suckered in by the bigger/better/faster message.  :wacko:

While some bikes are more capable in one area and others in another, overall, modern bikes are pretty damn good. A great rider can make a supposedly sucky bike look good while a sucky rider can make a great bike look just as sucky. No question that staying in shape and lots of saddle time will always increase the capability of your machine. Better for you and a whole lot cheaper! Often times, the weak link in the performance chain is skill and stamina, not the bike. So, adding "more" bike isn't the easy answer.

Not sure if anyone has gone through this mental exercise, but I did this weekend and decided to share my thoughts; to see where the discussion would go.

If you have a bike, get to ride it, and it puts a smile on your face, you might just gots a great bike! 👍

• Like 1

I get to ride all the new KTM bikes a couple times a year due to work but...

I'm cheap and rarely let new bike envy get me dreaming but...

My 89 Transalp and 04 950 are feeling dated and used but...

I rode them both today and both put a smile on my face.

The KTM has that raw mechanical power and feel while the Transalp purres like a kitten with an electric smooth motor. The 1190R is the combination of those times two, I'm weakening....

• Like 1

• Administrators

I guess for me, I'm questioning whether any of the new bikes I listed are going to be that MUCH better for the conditions I ride. I'm sure they could be, but to the tune of at least 4k, but as much as 8k in extra cost? I'm thinking it's more marketing excitement that translated performance in my hands. Maybe the 16 AF or 1190R are so much better than I know, I'm full of it. Unfortunately, none of those I ride with have these machines, so no way to trade off to confirm what I may or may not be missing. And, nobody rents these bikes in my area. I live in the land of cruisers and crotch rockets.

• Like 1

Your Triumph is a great bike, very capable. I however rode a Vstrom 650 for a year and recently rode a buddy of mines 990. Well the decision for we was quick and the purchase of a KTM was swift!!! I knew my Suzuki was lacking the performance I was after because I've been riding a CRF450R for years on tracks so my decision was easy after the test ride.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I think if lived when you do (used to), I'd have a 990. But, no mountains in my area and you couldn't find a rock if you needed one. So, the Tiger with TKC80s goes everywhere I ask it to. I'm going to come out next summer (Denver) and rent an 1190R or AF Twin for a couple of days. Cheaper for me to fly and rent bikes like this than to sell what I have, riding a bike that is overkill for most of my riding. I love your White/Orange 990. She's a looker! I still have a soft spot for them given that my last dirt bike was orange.

• Like 1

I think if lived when you do (used to), I'd have a 990. But, no mountains in my area and you couldn't find a rock if you needed one. So, the Tiger with TKC80s goes everywhere I ask it to. I'm going to come out next summer (Denver) and rent an 1190R or AF Twin for a couple of days. Cheaper for me to fly and rent bikes like this than to sell what I have, riding a bike that is overkill for most of my riding. I love your White/Orange 990. She's a looker! I still have a soft spot for them given that my last dirt bike was orange.

Look me up when you do, I'll buy you a cold beer. I have a lot of great spots now, but always open to some past local knowledge.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 8/7/2016 at 11:24 AM, Bryan Bosch said:

If you're like me, you love to read about and watch videos on new bikes. It's interesting, cool, and fun! And, after doing this last night, I started feeling like I need a better, more capable bike (mostly in the off-road area). Maybe a KTM 990, 1190R, or even an 2016 Africa Twin.

Today, I reminded myself that my 2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC has great power, is fun to ride, and has goes where I ask it to take me without any real issues. So, what I need is simply to be satisfied with the great bike that I have and spend the delta between its current value and a "better bike" on going on exciting, memorable riding trips and beer for my buddies. I'm a marketer by trade, but for at least a day, was suckered in by the bigger/better/faster message.  :wacko:

While some bikes are more capable in one area and others in another, overall, modern bikes are pretty damn good. A great rider can make a supposedly sucky bike look good while a sucky rider can make a great bike look just as sucky. No question that staying in shape and lots of saddle time will always increase the capability of your machine. Better for you and a whole lot cheaper! Often times, the weak link in the performance chain is skill and stamina, not the bike. So, adding "more" bike isn't the easy answer.

Not sure if anyone has gone through this mental exercise, but I did this weekend and decided to share my thoughts; to see where the discussion would go.

If you have a bike, get to ride it, and it puts a smile on your face, you might just gots a great bike! :thumbsup:

I agree. I have found riding my F800GSA to bays and beaches without names is a better way to spend my time than looking for a "better" bike. 

• Like 1