Doubletake Adventure Mirrors

• Administrators

Anyone running these? Love them? :wub:  Hate em'? :angry:

20160808_1632031.jpg

I've been running them for a couple of months and love em'! I wrote up a full review @ https://xladv.com/reviews/product/841-doubletake-mirror-adventure-mirrors/ for anyone that might be interested.

If you have any experience with Doubletake adventure mirrors, please add your star rating and review. 👍

• Like 1

I bought these for my DRZ which was my commuter and dirt bike for about 6 months, and I have to say, I got really frustrated with them. The ball that mounts to bars doesn't have any flats on it to really tighten it down so while the right mirror is self-tightening, the left is self-loosening. In addition, I found myself constantly tightening the knobs to keep the mirrors where I had positioned them. I will give them credit for being very good at moving the mirrors out of the way quickly, i.e. for easier lane-splitting (they seem to be right at SUV mirror height) and for tucking away when going to the dirt. But ya, I was very shocked after putting them on how much I really didn't like them, because everyone online seems to rave about them. I thought about trying them on my GS but I don't really have any complaints about the stock mirrors.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I bought these for my DRZ which was my commuter and dirt bike for about 6 months, and I have to say, I got really frustrated with them. The ball that mounts to bars doesn't have any flats on it to really tighten it down so while the right mirror is self-tightening, the left is self-loosening. In addition, I found myself constantly tightening the knobs to keep the mirrors where I had positioned them. I will give them credit for being very good at moving the mirrors out of the way quickly, i.e. for easier lane-splitting (they seem to be right at SUV mirror height) and for tucking away when going to the dirt. But ya, I was very shocked after putting them on how much I really didn't like them, because everyone online seems to rave about them. I thought about trying them on my GS but I don't really have any complaints about the stock mirrors.

I know what you mean about the standard ball. The ball with riser does have a flat spot for a box end wrench. Assuming you used blue Loctite and let it cure for at least 24 hours?

Assuming you used blue Loctite and let it cure for at least 24 hours?

No I didn't because I was worried I wasn't going to be able to remove them later, not having any place to put a wrench. But just did some research and there's a light strength purple Loctite that I might try.

• Like 1

• Administrators

No I didn't because I was worried I wasn't going to be able to remove them later, not having any place to put a wrench. But just did some research and there's a light strength purple Loctite that I might try.

Yeah, you pretty much have to. They will come out, but you'll gnarl up the aluminum flange pretty badly. I had to do this when I realize that the right ball wasn't tall enough to clear the brake master cyl when folding them over. The replacement ball is taller, so it has a flat spot for a wrench. I suppose you could just use two of the taller 1" balls.

20160808_1630041.jpg

I also just installed these mirrors with the small riser. Fantastic product, due to the dual ball adjustability I see better then the stick mirrors. So far no vibration and they have not moved a bit on or off road. (Unless I reposition them). If you ride off road this is a great solution.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I also just installed these mirrors with the small riser. Fantastic product, due to the dual ball adjustability I see better then the stick mirrors. So far no vibration and they have not moved a bit on or off road. (Unless I reposition them). If you ride off road this is a great solution.

A long time user told me that if they do move off-road when tight, lightly sand the balls to rough them up a bit. I can see that. But, no issues so far.