2012 - 990 oil level

This bike is new to my garage, help me out.... Why is it every time I check the oil level in the tank it's a half stick down every time after I top it and ride? If I leave it alone it stays at half, facepalm!!!

Edited by Rooster72

Not having this issue on my R. Are you checking level when oil is hot and adding also when oil is hot as stated in manual? Unnoticed leak? Any ' blow by' in the airbox? If it's staying at half on your stick and not going routinely lower maybe there's no worries if you don't find anything? Don't have a phd in lc8's myself. My .02 Should be read on dipstick after fully seated/threaded into tank not with dipstick unthreaded resting on top. Overfilling?

Edited by PeteMoto
  • Like 1

Always check it warmed up to 4 bars, not cold. This gives the pumps time to level out the tank and crank to proper levels. A scavenger pump will circulate oil to the tank and a check valve is supposed to hold it there until it's pulled back in to the motor. If that check valve is leaking, the tank will show low when cold (I think they all leak a little). I typically pull the screen in the tank every three oil changes (unless I find something odd in the filter or oil pump pickup screen) and check the valve at that time.

Remember, it's a dry sump motor so the tank level isn't quite as critical if it were a wet sump and the level could drop below the pickup.

• Like 3

Way faster! Much messier too. The next day I swept the garage of dust and dirt road debris from the autos. Then worked on my 350XCF. Hopped on and BAM!!!! I ducked and glass showered down around me. As it quieted down, I peeked up in time to see half of a 8' florescent light fall from the ceiling.

I thought I had kicked the plastic ball that hangs from the light which I used indicate my wife's car is encroaching on my territory when it touches her windshield, and it hit the light. It wasn't moving.

So, I go to move the bike to clean up the mess when I notice the side stand won't stay up. The spring, connecting link and the screw were missing, wth????? Come to find out, the screw was on it's last thread, let loose and took out the light. I found all the parts, but I'm still finding glass.

The next night, I avoided the garage!!

• Like 2

The garage is 30x35± basically 2 wide, 2 deep (jeeps and compacts) so she gets the house minus 1/3 of the basement (work shop) and 1/4 of the garage.

Home owners would probably laugh at me or cringe pending the claim. My motorcycle insurance carrier says I may need a dealers license if I buy another bike. 3 of the project bikes are uninsured.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 12/5/2018 at 11:16 PM, Builder Mike said:

My 990 manual says run till 6 bars when hot and check it while on the center stand. The oil expands a lot when hot, and if you forget the bit about the center stand you can overfill it by at least a half quart.

6 bars?  That's a bar below boiling over!  My fan would come on at 5 bars so I changed the thermo switch to one from I believe a DRZ400, now it comes on just before it hits 5.

1 hour ago, MGorman said:

6 bars?  That's a bar below boiling over!  My fan would come on at 5 bars so I changed the thermo switch to one from I believe a DRZ400, now it comes on just before it hits 5.

That might a 2010 thing. The manual says 6 bars, which on the 2010 is about half way on the temp gauge. The manual also says operating temp. Basically, get it hot.