Merino Wool

• Administrators

We were talking about ADV Addicts new line of shirts that wick, provide spf and don't smell and merino wool was also mentioned.

A few people mentioned Icebreaker but they contribute to groups that shut down riding areas.

DigitallySane mentioned some other merino wool mfg's:

Knox

EDZ Layering

Brynje of Norway

Anyone have experience with merino wool under layers?

• Like 1

Hey, we're using the Knox merino base layers. In the interests of full disclosure, we were given them by Knox so feel free to allow this to modify your opinion of what I say!

We've been really impressed with them. We've lived in them through Europe, the Merino makes them soft and cosy and they need washing probably only once every few weeks (I think I've washed them only two or three times since we hit the road - if I wasn't on the road I might do it a little more often, but then I probably wouldn't be wearing them 24/7). I forget they're on under my gear and they're comfy enough to sleep in. They do also wick well, I've always been sceptical about the whole keep you warm when cold and cool when warm claim so was surprised by this. Whilst I wouldn't say they keep you noticeably cool, they definitely keep you more comfortable meaning the overall hot and bothered factor is much reduced. This is only effective up to a point though...we found we had to stop using them once temps hit the high 90's as the extra layer was just too much.

The only downside for me is the cost of merino, prior to getting the Knox ones I was a fan of buying cheap and cheerful synthetic and just replacing when they inevitably wore out after a few months. But so far the Knox ones have been wearing really well (I'd heard reports that Merino was lighter wearing than some synthetics but that's not been my experience), so it probably all evens out. On the whole I'd say I'm a merino convert and when I have to buy a pair of my own I'll probably invest a bit more in these Knox ones next time. Oh, Merino also takes a bit longer to dry than synthetics which might be a consideration when travelling but I've not found it too much of a problem, they still dry quick in the sun.

Good to know about Ice breaker, I've looked at them before and have thought about investing in their stuff. I'll avoid from now on.

Cheers!

K

Edited by trailstotheforgotten
  • Like 2

Really good topic. 

Since 2010 when we started travelling we really went out to try and find lightweight, hard wearing, good quality technical stuff to use on our trips. Weight is an issue and packing space is an issue, they must dry fast, wear well, feel good when wearing and be able in way to be used in cold and warm weather. Yes, it's a tall order to ask but we kept looking.

We have been using cotton t-shirts in the past and being on the road for months at a time we only use 3 t-shirts, 3 pairs of underwear, one soft shell jacket 1 long pair of pants and one short pair of pants each. Needless to say cotton last two months or so then they look old, stretch around the neck, colours fade, they pack heavier than merino wool 150gram t-shirts and take a long time to dry. 

Then after a while when synthetics came on the market we tried them. Even the brushed synthetic that has a softer cotton feel to them and they last at least better than cotton and are quick drying and also do not stink as fast as cotton after a few days of wearing in Sudan heat. But for us it still feels like wearing a plastic bag, it's not breathable enough and the sweat does not evaporate as easy. And even the 150grm-200grm t-shirts are liked that. I even bought a Kuhl technical shirt to try which was quite pricey but that shirt is being send back home. Between that synthetic shirt and the Merino the Merino wins hands down. In warm weather the Kuhl does not breath as well and feels like a plastic bag when wearing it. 

Merino was never a consideration as we knew they were stupidly expensive and not sold in South Africa. But we got onto a sale clearance of Icebreaker one day and bought a few t-shirts and light base layer jackets for travel. To say the least, we were damn happy! We will not wear cotton or synthetics again. Merino last truly well, they are lightweight for packing, dry super quick, keep the colours better and feel good wearing them. You can wear a tshirt for 5 days until it is white with sweat and it will not stink. And in colder weather they still do a good job with the cold. The underwear and base layers works pretty well in cold and in summer temperatures. 

We were in Cuba a month ago for 12 days and only took 2 shirts each, it was 35C with a 95% humidity each day and wearing the Merino wool shirts was so much better than we had with cotton or our synthetics. Easy to wash each night and they were dry in the morning. They keep their shape, they do not stretch around the neck and does not look like you are wearing that well worn suppose to be used in the garage when changing the car oil t shirt you kept from your school days.

We have bought Merino wool underwear, soft jackets, buffs and thin liner gloves to use in winter when riding under our winter gloves and can honestly say we will not use other fabrics when travelling again. They cover the important points, lightweight, hardwearing, easy drying, pack compact, better insulation as base layers and feel good to wear. 

Yes, they are expensive, but looking back 3 cotton shirts pay for 1 Merino wool shirt and the Merino wool will outlast them 10 to one. In the long run the Merino wool is the better cost effective option. For people that's not travelling full time the investment in to Merino might not make sense but that said, if they buy 1 or 2 Merino shirts and or a jacket and care for it, they will most probably last them a lifetime. 

I am disappointed what you mention about Icebreaker and I also did not knew there were so many other alternative Merino wool clothing options. We will for sure look into the other brands on offer. 

Also have to add that @Advaddics might not find it feasible to print on Merino due to the cost and the demand. But sure there might be a small market for it with customers that know Merino products. 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 2

I also have quite a bit of Icebreaker stuff, and on the point of getting some Knox and EDZ layers. Also have some nice high end synthetics (Stadler and SIXS).
Some observations:

• Merino feels better overall, more consistent no matter if you're moving or staying still;
  • Is packs bigger and is quite a bit heavier than synthetics; it dries a bit slower but can be worn damp;
  • Synthetics cool better when moving (if you have vents) but feel worse when still;
  • Merino doesn't stink; this can also be true for some synthetics;
  • Merino layers can also be used as casual clothing when off the bike;
  • They last more than synthetics.
  • Like 2