Big Bikes at B A J A R A L L Y!

• Administrators

Brian busted his collar bone in two places

IMG_8496.JPG

Crazy start this morning on the beach as many had trouble with the dunes.

I thought I had video of Lawrence Hacking but the camera was off! Damn.

Got video passing Steve Hengeveld again on the highway parallel. Went and saw La lobera and now at Mama Espinosa's in El Rosario.

final.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

Yeah I'm sure it will be points lost but. It sure exactly.

Cataviña was the bivvy last night and we had great food. I lucked out and did not have to camp again

We are back at Mama Espinoza's manning the computer, radio and sat phone. They halted the rally back at Guayaquil for what reason I'm not sure. Might be a medic team not yet deployed to where they need to be.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Friends!

Today was another day filled with mechanical mishaps and extractions. But what surprised us most was the sheer drive that brought the competitors to the finish line north of Cataviña well before our estimated time of arrival. Before too long, the men and women of this race cooled off in the hotel pool and found sanctuary from the central peninsula’s blaring sun within the courtyard of a government-made “mission” hotel. Steve and Trent did not fail us with an impeccable battle along the sea line, into the mountains and all the way to the prehistoric rubble that hasn’t moved since Baja’s inception. Casey Hilliard, so far an outstanding contender not only in the new Adventure class, was forced to D & F due to a flat tire on his BMW H2. But altogether, Day Three ended with no major incidents!

“Today was very successful in that all the riders managed to come home unharmed and without injury. And that our team of safety and medical experts used our communication system to relay information about potential incidents like never before. In particular, relaying messages from the ground through radio aircraft to assess situations and determine that medical evacuation was not necessary. The key of today was to bring 70 riders and drivers into the ‘Valley of the Candles’ to share the magic of Baja’s National Protected Zone. I’m very proud of our team and all of the competitors for participating in this event!” -Scotty Bloom

The BAJA RALLY has reached its southern most point in the course and is preparing to make the long, hard haul back to Ensenada. Be warned, patrons and participants, that Special Stage Two may have given hope that could very well be taken away within the first few miles of Day Five. It’s the animal that is Rally Raid: unpredictable, indifferent and unforgiving. With two more stages left in 2016, the podium could be taken – not given – to anyone, and just as the favorites can lose favor and the underdogs can scrape their way to the top! The race has crested its schedule. And tomorrow’s day could be another one for the books. Will you be watching when rally history is made? Join us on Facebook, Instagram and the Baja Rally Live page on the website to witness North America’s first and only Dakar style navigational rally! If you miss the action in progress, look for our video recaps on Facebook and YouTube every day ‘til the finale.

If you would like to see more photos from the rally or have any questions, don't hesitate to contact us here. And please feel free to use the attached BAJA RALLY update, the unofficial race results, YouTube videos and photos as you like!

Thank you from the BAJA RALLY Team!

Inline image 1

--

Special Stage Two, Top Finishers:

1. Steve Hengeveld, #1

2. Trent Burgiss, #13

3. Mike Johnson, #83

4. Tony Gurule, #15

5. Gerardo Nino, #24

6. Francesco Checchini, #67

7. Carlos Gracida, #32

8. Petr Vlcek, #64

9. Nick Plumb, #49

10. James Mitchell, #9

YouTube Videos:

Day 3 - Special Stage 2: To Follow

Photos by:

Donni Reddington

Nishant Verma, and

Justin W. Coffey

Tetsuyasu Sato

--

Kyra Sacdalan & Justin W. Coffey

Media Coordinators: BAJA RALLY

PR & Marketing: WESTx1000

Adversity empowers us. Compassion unites us. Tragedy enlightens us. And courage defines us.

• Like 1