Sitting on the bench...again. Looking for advice

Morning all, this is a general question to all who ride all terrain and have crash tested your kit.

Quick backstory on me and why I'm looking for advice:

Riding for almost 10 years since I moved from Montreal to Phoenix.

Jumped into ADV about 6 years ago from street riding.

Jumped into Enduro about 2 years ago and remained in ADV albeit viewing road as a means to a trail-head.

Took part in the Jimmy Lewis school 3 years back (stellar experience) atop my Tiger 800xc.

Attended AltRiders TOD for the past 2 years, firstly on the Tiger and last year on the 500exc.

Raced (Novice) Enduro last season on my 250xcw smoker in the AMRA...damn this stuffs tough.

Love trail riding with mates and we're usually "that group" who are out before the sun rises to beat the Arizona heat and rowdy in the parking lot giving each other grief over a beer in the car park at the end of the day (2nd best part to a days riding).

Sufficed to say I feel pretty comfortable on 2 wheels but am by NO MEANS expert at anything...just passionate about it all as you'll know if you ever meet me.

So back to the reason for this posting. I'm benched, again, for at least the next 2 months, encroaching prime bloody riding season and kick off to race season. All due to yet another accident. This ones a doozy too.

I need two things:

Step up my riding game

Step up my armor/protection

The latter is what I'm interested in asking you lot for advice on (the former too if you're so inclined).

For ADV on my Tiger or my new to me 950SE I always sport:

RST Adventure Jacket &Trousers

Arai XD3

Alpine Stars Toucan boots

Klim Dakar gloves or Triumph Adventure gloves. Another set with me in "winter" are waterproof gauntlet type for cold/wet.

For Enduro/MX/Rally I wear:

Klim XC jersey/pants (several depending on venting needed or not)

Fox v1 MX helmet

Enduro goggles with yellow lens

Klim XC or Klim Dakar gloves

Alpine Stars Tech 7 Enduro boots

Fox Titan Sport armor shirt/rig

Fox Titan knee/shin guards

I've had 3 decent offs,all on dirt bikes and (knocks on wood) none serious on an ADV big girl.

This is likely as I consider myself a pretty conservative rider, albeit I've bee talked into certain rides that looking back were pretty gnarly.

My first off was 2 years back on the 250xcw smoker...hit a trail rut and launched over the bars. Damage was a bruised rib and fractured elbow.

Second off was pre running the TOD last year with mates. Rear wheel hooked up on a petrified tree root and the 500exc launched dragging me along for the ride. The damage was a pain-killer fueled A route day the following day and an evening spent wearing a icy-hot patch on the shoulder/back.

This last one was a result of summer fitness training every Saturday AM at one of the local MC parks. I know the veterans track well and was on my forth Moto trying to nail a challenging scooped out jump. Damage is 2 spinal fractures and a broken collarbone.

So, with all this being said, and as I sit at home in recovery, I'm looking into "better" armor.

What are you lot sporting when ADV'ing and if any of you are also small bike riders, can you recommend any kit that works for both, comfortably?

Wifey has found me a setup but I'm reluctant to pull the trigger without shopping around first:

(Not me photographed)

Cheers ~ PeterIMG_0464.JPG

• Like 6

• Administrators

I also have the Fox Titan armor vest & knee/shin guards.  Also do the Leatt neck brace.  Your boots seem solid.

I'm thinking you focus more on what's inside your helmet.  I don't do this nearly enough but instead of just blasting out on the trails, I like to spend time doing some slow speed drills to wake up my balance and control senses.  I'm 49 now and really just want to get back home in one piece so I tend not to ride like I used to.  50 miles from the nearest highway is not the place to ride at 100%.

I also like to focus on the slow and tricky balance stuff or seeing how slow I can get through a patch of sand.  I've been riding sweep more lately and that lets me focus on other parts of my riding.

I had a 500 EXC a few years ago but got rid of it because I had no truck or trailer and I just wasn't riding it enough to justify the $ parked there.  But it was also part fear given the capabilities of that bike put me in increasingly more gnarly situations.  I thought getting rid of it was probably a good thing.

In about 100k miles of adv riding now I've been fortunate to only have two injuries.  One was a crushed achilles tendon in Baja and busted my left wrist in April in Death Valley.  So I guess my riding philosophy now is one part chill and another part skill-focus.

Make sense?

• Like 4

• Administrators

You mentioned you took a Jimmy Lewis class and that reminded me of something he has a said quite a few times; that this type of riding isn't (or shouldn't be) dangerous.  Our friends who mountain bike or road bike (bicycles) or even play softball for that matter, tend to get injured a lot more than we do.  The first thing  he'll talk about when you take his class is that it's not an off road class but a safety class.  When you know how to properly ride your bike off road then much of the danger is removed.  That's certainly been the case for me.  I used to get filled with so much anxiety and have so many close calls because I wasn't riding properly.  Once I got a lot of that (not 100% yet obviously) figured out then riding became much more enjoyable.

• Like 3

Thanks for the feedback. You're spot on and I can get behind your riding philosophy. I've also found that it can depend on the "who" you ride with that can lead to ride anxiety and have also adopted the "sweep" role...I blame the fact that I like to run video but the reality is is like to see everyone's line and ride my own ride at my own pace...this way riding's always enjoyable :).

I've a coupe of mates who've purchased neck braces, mainly for the Enduro riding but figure that would be the next logical "step up" for me re protection. Looking to it briefly yesterday, there's more options than there's limp-wristed flavours at Starbucks...what did you buy and why?

As for riding changes, the practice makes perfect mantra is singing loudly in my ears...just have to work on the balance between confidence and ability as there's nothing more humbling than an off.

After the Jimmy Lewis course me and Rob setup our own clinic for the AZDirtyAces (local triumph club I co-founded) and we set about in a desert stretch with cones and drills showing the rest of the group want we'd learnt. Tigers and KLRs as far as the eye could see.

By the end of the day we'd all mastered the front wheel skid (terrifying at first if you recall) for at least a meter in distance and we all came away feeling like rock stars.

I know I need more time on skills drills and less time trying to trying to get airborne on a big girl...mentality is what it's all about as you've rightly pointed out.

At 42 years I don't bounce as well as I used to. ;)

Thanks again for the replies and I'm dead gutted to be missing the upcoming ride as is wifey. You lot seem like a great bunch and we're looking forward to a future ride.

Cheers ~ Peter

• Like 2

That's a pretty fast progression from having no motorcycle experience to riding " all in ". In my own experience at 54y.o., I try to way the good w/the bad of ADV riding. I've ridden bikes since a teenager but just for recreation , no competition so not on the same level as you. I've accepted no matter how well I'm geared up , there's a chance of injury every time I hit the starter. I try to be honest about my skill and ability,I'm not ashamed to turn back on a route that's beyond my skills. I ride only for the pure joy of it and so what if I can't match others skill. I stretch out and clear my mind before I swing a leg over the seat and try to ride safely within my abilities and always know the grandkids want to see me above ground , lol!

• Like 2

Pete, thanks for the candor. Your remarks are precisely on point and another reason I'd initially asked this group for advice. With an 18 and 20 year old set of fridge magnets myself, I can't imagine having done worse through bad calculations in riding.

Am curious though to what neck brace to buy if you've any thoughts on this matter?

I've time to ponder better riding while benched and must admit, I've walked into the garage and inspected the fleet several times already ;)

Cheers ~ Peter

• Like 1

I've not adopted a neck brace into my safety attire yet but I know it's a worthwhile addition that would absorb a bad helmet deflection. I need to get one and make it a habit just like using all the other gear. I've already checked off enough " man , that could've been worse boxes " to know better. Hey , there's inherent risk in anything that involves the need for motorized excitement and hopefully the gear we use can minimize any unplanned accidents. My loved ones know motorcycling is forever part of my life and have accepted that so the least I can do is go about it with safety through proper riding gear at all times. Good luck w/recovering :) While you've got the time, that full bubble wrap suit might be a good invention. A full riding suit that instantaneously inflates upon a get off! Like the StayPuffed Marshmallow Man, lol

Edited by PeteMoto
  • Like 2

First, let me say this.  When riding off road on my ADV bike (Stelvio) I only go as fast as I'm willing to fall. Period.  I don't think of ADV riding as a " got to finish first" or "must do XXXX miles today" type of riding.  I'm usually alone and quite often nowhere near civilization so I tend to think of the "what if's"

Now the enduro riding, your matching the clock, not others.  The other three that left on your minute are the gauge.  If your always waiting for your "minute" men, think down a little. Get your "game" out of your head and into play.  I've ridden district 36 so we get cool things like trees and mud to hour out on. In fact, I have never set foot on a motocross track.  In all the enduros I have done I don't think I have ever gotten into high gear except on a transition and the only time both wheels are off the ground (with any height) is on a drop or a log crossing. 

For gear, EVS for everything. EVS is very big into braces for injury protection and recovery. I also tend to run simple, IE I don't like the "suits".  I HIGHLY recommend a neck roll/brace. Leatte, EVS, there are many options available. Again, I like the EVS equipment.

Good luck with the injury, remember, the trick is to fill the cup of knowledge before the cup of luck runs out!

• Like 3

Hey Mooney, you're dead right, I've not had any major pucker moments whilst racing Enduro and you've cited several of the reasons why. I did have a rubbish race at elevation in the wood in Flagstaff after a rainstorm as I just couldn't keep the 250 upright and fell half a dozen times, but all were 2 gear slow offs with a minor bruise at best.

Appreciate the gear recommendation, I've seen EVS kit and will look into it further.

This cup I'm filling up with knowledge doubles as a beer stein too right? ;)

Cheers ~ Peter

• Like 1

Hey Mooney, you're dead right, I've not had any major pucker moments whilst racing Enduro and you've cited several of the reasons why. I did have a rubbish race at elevation in the wood in Flagstaff after a rainstorm as I just couldn't keep the 250 upright and fell half a dozen times, but all were 2 gear slow offs with a minor bruise at best.

Appreciate the gear recommendation, I've seen EVS kit and will look into it further.

This cup I'm filling up with knowledge doubles as a beer stein too right? ;)

Cheers ~ Peter

Only if your drinking Guinness.....we have to stay aloof!
  • Like 1

My Wife is a Saint for putting up with my shenanigans.

On the light YZ or sometimes even the XR I run full protective pieces to include an older Leatt like Eric was talking about, EVS knee braces ,moto boots and a RockGardn. On the Tiger I use gear that has at least ECE rating with protection at the knees, shoulder and elbows at a minimum. Strangely enough all my crashes have been on the big bike as it is the one I am on most of the time. I subscribe to Mooney's theory above though, all my crashes are low speed like Al and OJ's Bronco ride. Sort of a frame by frame catastrophe resulting in bruising from Kitty laying on me and money given to Bikebandit for the nice new Kitty parts to replace the broken ones. I currently have an entire front end including both rad shrouds (upper and lower) and a Phantom Black beak sitting in a box to replace the currently busted up stuff. I've got a wall O'Tiger parts that I've deformed and broken through various means over the months that I've owned it with no end in sight. I sort of apparently subscribe to the "if you're not wreckin' you're not ridin' " school of thought even when on the Tiger so it behooves me to dress for the crash as they say. I also make sure my SPOT is on me, not the bike. Haven't had to use it since I've had it but seeing some guys mount them to the bike invites the question......what happens when you go one way and the bike another?

• Like 4

Totally spaced on the SPOT.  Flappy 613 hit it on the head.  I've been carrying a SPOT locator for years.  I go back and forth on where to mount it, with a RAM mount on the bike, as well as carrying it in my jacket.  I can make an argument for either location, but usually leave it on the RAM mount on ADV rides. Oddly, I think of it more of a "broke bike" savior than a "personal" savior. Maybe flawed thinking on my part...

• Like 1

I'll admit I've been running with a SPOT since I learned about them a few years back.

But, have drank the Koolaid on the Delorme InReach since reading Pete Days blog here: https://moskomoto.com/blogs/mosko-moto-blog/broken-bones-the-inreach

I bought the InReach SE off an inmate on ADV and haven't yet had the opportunity to use it. Will post up a review for a prior SPOT users perspective when back in the saddle

• Like 2

Hey Eric, just saw this for sale. Is yours the v5.5 that you said you wish were lower profile or is the the model you want to get? Seems like a decent deal:

Leatt GPX 5.5 Neck brace NIB

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fadvrider%2Ecom%2Findex%2Ephp%3Fthreads%2F1170872%2F&share_tid=1170872&share_fid=14159&share_type=t

My problem is I'm too darned invested in Garmin now to go DeLorme. Garmin head unit in the truck, Nuvi in the car, 2 handhelds for the bikes and sundry maps and disks for the aforementioned. Might do Hughes or SPOT phone if I ever do get away on the big one.

Speaking of which, Hey Eric....what's the deal in Baja with SPOT and such? Does the Mexican phone company try to get a piece like the cell phones or what? It's my understanding that cell phone use is regulated by the government there hence my paying a hefty surcharge for my Wife to be able to Facebook in Ensenada. But what's the deal with the SPOT if you know?

Oh and about the mounting.....I run my SPOT attached to an extra RAM ball on my bars when I'm on 2 lane or better then attach to my Jacket for off road. But to each his own. I just think of how much good it's going to do me if I have to bail for a log truck ( a REAL hazard here) and I watch it go bounding down with the bike a couple hundred feet below while I lay there with broken ribs or whatever. I actually used to ride with a guy that had his fixed in an epaulet mount on his shoulder which I thought was pretty trick but I've been unable to find one like that.

Edited by Flappy613