What did you do to your BMW today?

Eric Hall

• Administrators

Today I'm going to take my old and busted shocks off and replace with new ones!  Joy!

Seriously, this will take me probably more than a day and probably a six pack of beer for a friend to come help  :)

The rear shock is super easy but the front is tricky.  You have to take the lower crashbars off and then raise the bike either with like a bucket  under the skid plate or by lifting it from a cable/pulley from your garage ceiling.  The trick is to get the telelever to fall far enough down to get the front shock out.  Then reinstalling the crashbars is always fun :)

I promise to post pics, bloody knuckles and all.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Today we firmed up the schedule for some new rubber (tkc70's). Figured since she's gonna be in the shop, I'd put in for the last few bits of the 6k service to be done by the dealer... computer time, (health check, software updates...) and a brake system flush (6,000mile maintenance).

Now 'bout that brake flush, I'm just being lazy...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've bought a new softbag, in preparations of the two-weeks long trip in Sardenia I'll have at the start of September. I'm gonna keep the two alu panniers, and get rid (for the trip), of the topcase.

It's made by Amphibious (Italian brand), it has a capacity of 60 liters (HUGE improvement over the stock aluminium topcase by bmw/touratech) and... the pillion says it's cute, so that's obviously what matters the most.

I'm also considering buying a TomTom Rider 400 nav.

Amphibious 60litri.JPG

Edited by PierreADV
added infos
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

1ADED051-D3F8-4DF2-830F-09C0B65204C0.thumb.jpeg.d9f8fb91d03200e0a6f3fa50401330e2.jpeg

It was a few months ago but I forget to write it down for you, so I’m doing this now. :)

I bought the HPN a massive 8mm skidplate with a spacer in between for extra oil volume and therefor get rid of the BMW oil pan. I have around 2,3l oil volume so it’s not that much of a difference to 2l original. Many people are using the spacer AND the BMW oil pan to get 3 liters,I dont know what for, I’m not riding in the Sahara as slow as possible. It’s the biggest skidplate you can buy (at least in Germany) and the producer SWT Sports tested them on the MX track and on his journeys. So far, so good, it protected the bike pretty good already. :)

FB38D18D-1A22-47FB-8F97-164D4A30DD6E.jpeg

• Like 2

1ADED051-D3F8-4DF2-830F-09C0B65204C0.thumb.jpeg.d9f8fb91d03200e0a6f3fa50401330e2.jpeg
It was a few months ago but I forget to write it down for you, so I’m doing this now.
I bought the HPN a massive 8mm skidplate with a spacer in between for extra oil volume and therefor get rid of the BMW oil pan. I have around 2,3l oil volume so it’s not that much of a difference to 2l original. Many people are using the spacer AND the BMW oil pan to get 3 liters,I dont know what for, I’m not riding in the Sahara as slow as possible. It’s the biggest skidplate you can buy (at least in Germany) and the producer SWT Sports tested them on the MX track and on his journeys. So far, so good, it protected the bike pretty good already. 
FB38D18D-1A22-47FB-8F97-164D4A30DD6E.jpeg.96394d3ad422968442a8cd12997e9037.jpeg

Wow! Wonder if they make for the R1100GS??
I’m looking into have in custom one made from a fellow on the east coast. My Heed Crash Bars do not receive the OEM skid plate. Only the “inner” plate which not quite enough protection.
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I lost my Garmin 60Csx in Baja after Christmas and just picked up a used Garmin Montana 650t with the Touratech locking harness.  It looks like a good unit.  I liked the 60 because it was simple but I was also limited to just 20 tracks of 500 points or less.  This one has a much larger capacity so that shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 2