We don't click together

Well guys, here it goes: I'm thinking about selling my Yamaha ST.

Here's the thing. The bike goes well, doesn't have a single problem, or anything but... I can't click with it. I don't have a proper... feeling while riding it.

It's comfortable, it's fun offroad, the engine is punchy and responsive, but... I can't quite put my finger on it.

Granted, I know what I DON'T like, specifically, but it's the overall package that's leaving me a tad... "indifferent".

For example: I have an Akrapovic exhaust. Great news, on paper, right? Well, dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians, the sound of it probably is the shallowest I've ever heard, coming out from a 1.500 € exhaust.

Suspensions? They work, sure. But I don't know if it's my bike or all the SuperTeneres, they barely "feel" any regulations I do.

Engine? It works, but feels... "flat".

See that's the point.

I don't feel like this bike has any... "character".
It works perfectly, it does everything you ask it to do, and often brilliantly, and yet I'm left with this "unsatisfied" feeling.
I hope you guys understand what I mean.

I'm pretty sure *I* am the problem here, and that there's plenty of people out there having the time of their life on their SuperTens, but... :unsure:

Edited by PierreADV
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I think your bike is better suited for the pavement.  It's one of the heavier big bikes and doesn't have a great geometry for off road.  What's ironic is that I know three guys with that bike and they're all really good riders but I think it has too many things working against it.

• Like 1

I think your bike is better suited for the pavement.  It's one of the heavier big bikes and doesn't have a great geometry for off road.  What's ironic is that I know three guys with that bike and they're all really good riders but I think it has too many things working against it.

Well Eric, I was talking about the same subject with a buddy on Youtube just 5 minutes ago.

The thing is, I mainly use my big bikes for asphalt touring, and the OCCASIONAL sortie in the dirt. The S10 was used in the same way. And yet...I still feel..."unsatisfied".

I have too a couple buddies that wouldn't trade their SuperTen with anything else.

Oh well, guess this time I'm the odd one out.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, iSlander! Loved your video I saw in Instagram. That AT sure is a popular bike now! I hope to do another project bike with that one soon.

I'm with you on the " connection " with the particular bikes we ride. Everyone has a " feeling " they get from certain bikes. My most recent purchase was a KTM Adventure 990R having had intentions on buying a 1200GS. Something about that raw , aggressive stance and purposed design. Very spartan and visceral. My other bike is now just utilitarian in a ride. Maybe an 1190R is in your future? Ducati Enduro?

Yeah, as for the chocolate , dark is healthier than the regular variety if you're thinking nutritional value.

Too late to trade bikes with your father?

Edited by PeteMoto
  • Like 2

I'm with you on the " connection " with the particular bikes we ride. Everyone has a " feeling " they get from certain bikes. My most recent purchase was a KTM Adventure 990R having had intentions on buying a 1200GS. Something about that raw , aggressive stance and purposed design. Very spartan and visceral. My other bike is now just utilitarian in a ride. Maybe an 1190R is in your future? Ducati Enduro?

Yeah, as for the chocolate , dark is healthier than the regular variety if you're thinking nutritional value.

Too late to trade bikes with your father?

Hey Pete!

Well, about trading with my father, we often swap rides so that's not a problem at all.

The problem is, actually, that the other day he tried the S10, and he actually agreed with me, about the S10's lack of "a certain something".

He said "she brakes, turns, accelerate, she does everything, but she won't be remembered for something".

Pretty accurate, actually.

And about the potential substitute of the S10, well... I'm not gonna lie, I've been keeping under control various KTM 990 Adventure, lately, and maybe I've found a good one.

As you said, there's something in that bike that really... Y'know... Get your spider senses tingling, know what I mean?

Oh well. I gotta sell the Yam first...

• Like 1

Good luck with your bike "quest". Most important, it's great that you're getting to enjoy motorcycling with your father. Ride on

Hey Pete!

Well, about trading with my father, we often swap rides so that's not a problem at all.

The problem is, actually, that the other day he tried the S10, and he actually agreed with me, about the S10's lack of "a certain something".

He said "she brakes, turns, accelerate, she does everything, but she won't be remembered for something".

Pretty accurate, actually.

And about the potential substitute of the S10, well... I'm not gonna lie, I've been keeping under control various KTM 990 Adventure, lately, and maybe I've found a good one.

As you said, there's something in that bike that really... Y'know... Get your spider senses tingling, know what I mean?

Oh well. I gotta sell the Yam first...

• Like 1

I understand your feeling about the tenere, some suspension work really livened mine up, linear springs up front and an Elka shock out back.

However if the bike doesn't click for you then it's time to move on.  I had an old Vstrom 1000 that was this way for me and I rode it for years because I couldn't fault anything on it either.  Move on before you lose the urge to keep looking.

P9280412.jpg

• Like 1

I understand your feeling about the tenere, some suspension work really livened mine up, linear springs up front and an Elka shock out back.

However if the bike doesn't click for you then it's time to move on.  I had an old Vstrom 1000 that was this way for me and I rode it for years because I couldn't fault anything on it either.  Move on before you lose the urge to keep looking.

P9280412.jpg

You're right NavyNuke (also, hi!).

I don't have to sit on my butt.

Anyway, tomorrow afternoon, a guy should come here and see the S10. And that's not a bad thing, considering I haven't even put up the "on sale" thingies online, yet!