Bryan Bosch

How are you securing your bike in the shop for service?

10 posts in this topic

Ok, l o n g time dirt bike guy turned ADV n00b late last spring. My questions is, when you are doing major DIY service, suspension work, or tire changes, how are you securing your bike in an upright position in the shop/garage/man cave? I have my ideas, but I'd like to see how you guys are doing it.

I'd like to install some more aggressive tires and suspension mods (springs & valving) this spring. Bike is a 13 Tiger 800XC with no center stand. Since the big has a trellis frame (no lower frame rails), any issue resting the entire weight of the bike on the the oil pan? I ASS-U-ME not, but that's why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance for your help XLADV'rs!

1 person likes this

I use my center stand a lot and will sometimes strap the front tire to it so it doesn't accidentally fall.  I've also tied it to the ceiling of my garage off some hooks I screwed into a cross beam.  Other guys actually buy bike lifts but that seems a bit extravagant for most.

I do have a Team Hawg lift (scissor lift) but it's more for dirt bikes with lower frame rails. But it does have threaded  j hooks that pull the footpegs down toward the stand, so securing the bike. I've not tried it yet. I need a buddy to spot. I don't want 473lbs. of Tiger taking a nap on the concrete. :o

I've thought about some beefy hooks/eye in the garage ceiling w/ straps down to the triple. Harbor freight even has small, electric winch that would be slick.

Also, I've considered adding aluminum spools like these:

phpHAUzcN.jpg

phpaTf3qC.jpg

I use one of these with a tie down or two across the seats. 

ATV-Motorcycle-Lift.jpg

Edited by mikesbaron
1 person likes this

Today I picked up a pair of R&G swingarm spools for the pre-drilled/threaded holes on my swingarm.

RG.CR0011BK-sliders.jpg

Then I'm going to pick-up a simple rear spool stand to the get the rear tire off the ground.

2_c093bd894865f9745a6be9de5f609e32.jpg

For the front, they make either once that lift on the bottom of the forks or another type that lefts under the lower clamp. Not sure which is the hot ticket yet.

CY70-3021-00.jpg

I just hate to pay the dealer to unmount/mount tires for me when I can do it myself. More money for tires!

1 person likes this

I use the center stand, and for front end work I put a bottle jack under the skid plate to raise the front.  I've also used a strap to the roof beam through the bars as needed.

1 person likes this

I use the GSA's center stand, 99% of the time, when I have to tinker on Fleeing Dog.

And If I have to keep the front wheel up, I just take the bike where I work, and use a power loader to lift either the front, or the whole bike.
Yeah, I know, It's a bit overkill, but hey... the end justifies the means, they say.

Center stand with the AT, but do have a PowerStands Valentino Max for swing arms. Used this stand with the former Z1000 and 690ER. It's a one-person set-up as the handle faces forward with a bike. Then, the handle detaches to get out of the way if needed. 

powerstands-valentino-max-rear-lift-stand.jpg

There is also a TrackMaster stand that will prop-up the front wheel when placed at the bottom of fork legs--just need to see if it will work with the 21" front of the AT. If not, I will try the swing arm stand with a prop under the engine/skid-plate. That will be soon with tires sitting in the garage waiting to be installed.