Tiger lovin'

Since my Tiger has a bit of a wart problem from a couple weeks ago, it's in the bay getting some love.image.jpeg

But thanks to my friends at Bikebandit who don't need a VIN for every darned thing I have these:image.jpeg

So that's my night's project while working at training my replacement. Hopefully I'll be working weekdays instead of nights like a ghoul. I'm getting tired of working a 12 hour shift, off at 0800 and then having to leave hours late from when I like to leave for my weekly constitutionals. Makes for too darned many 24+ hour days and I don't enjoy riding as much then plus I make more mistakes leading to more costly plastic replacements from BB.

Thank God my Wife realizes how important my weekly ride is to me and doesn't try to curtail me at all, including my never-ending parts shopping for replacement parts due to my little "adventures".

Edited by Flappy613
  • Like 1

Yeah Flappy , keep that up and you'll have enough replaced parts to put together a " Frankenbike " lol! Is that a Mitas e-07 front ? Do you have on the back also? Like them? I have a rear yet to be installed. Never tried them yet. I've got a Pirelli Scorpion Rally to go up front but don't know if it's a wise combo. Ride on

Edited by PeteMoto

So sorry, asleep at forum.

Nope, Heidenau K60. Soon to be gone. They whir quite a bit, even more than the Karoo 3s they replaced but they track OK on or off to a degree. They're pretty predictable right until they aren't if you take my meaning.....in other words until the edges then they fold giving a noticeable bit of wobble when cornering at extremes leaving one a "bit" dis satisfied.  A good tire for getting miles out of a heavy 500+ bike though, 6 thousand a set.  But unless you need a tire to wear like Iron more than any other quality maybe not the best choice. So I'm looking at tires before the Winter hits here and makes the Heidis scare me more than they already do.

• Like 1

Well Kitty's in the shop. Busted Gear Change shaft and blown fork seals. T should pony up for the selector shaft under Warranty and I already told them to leave the seals and forks alone. (I do my own, mostly). I might actually job it out though thanks to Eric's timely post about Racetech. I've had more than a few 'Crossers set up by them and they are very well thought of for that. Might be interesting to send them to them for a re-valve and spring change. Saves the coin of Ohlins which although the defacto standard for ADV are quite pricy.

• Like 1

And it's back again!

Latus Harley Davidson/Triumph has accomplished the impossible.....fixed my bike under warranty correctly before time and for no charge! Had a 50.00 diagnostic that Triumph wouldn't pony up for that they ate and for that and not treating me like scum for beating on their precious English boutique bike they have earned what little work I am willing to farm out to a shop. Had a great chat with the service writer about what had happened and he turned me on to another service guy who's on a T800 as well so hopefully we can develop a working relationship that appears lacking at the Triumph only place.

Figures that the split dealership is superior to the other, no wonder the Triumph racing team of America is sponsored by them. Saw the Rocket 3 land speed attempt bike there last Fall and I know that George Latus is almost single-handedly funding what effort IS being expended to race here in the States so I guess there is that as well. All I know is that for the first time since I've owned it it went to the shop and came back actually better and not broken somewhere else or leaking oil with me feeling "not quite worthy" enough to be priveleged to ride it. They didn't threaten to call Hinckley, they didn't yell at me about tire pressures or whether or not the rediculous little chocks in the rear wheel were oriented correctly they just did what I told them to, left the leaky fork and sent me on my way.

Simply brilliant!

So at any rate Kitty's in her den ready to be a "Flying Tiger" as the parts are already ordered to fix the seals and I've got new tires so now I'll be calling Racetech for springing and valving before October runs out.

• Like 2

• 10 months later...

And I'll necro this as appropriate.

So in this current year (2017) my long-suffering Tiger has finally hit 25000 US miles and so is overdue for the 24k service. As I've been through a slightly less burdensome version of this at 12k this will be familiar territory.

One final shot before the changes, this will be her last shot like this:

Then it's off to the garage:

I wonder what what else could be going on?

IMG_0865.JPG

IMG_0032.JPG

IMG_0033.JPG

IMG_0867.JPG

IMG_0868.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

IMG_0870.JPG

And work continues.......

Oil and filter change, rear bearings still in order at 25k(!), front and headstock bearing check and change as necessary, new chain rub strip, chain and sprockets. Performed all systems tests and changed fluid and bled brakes. Gave her a thorough cleaning and checked into the starter relay under the battery which is known to trap water and corrode.  Everything is in surprisingly good condition given it's age and mileage, I've not had to replace any of the bearings yet which I'm putting down to my excessive maintenance schedule and good treatment. Additionally all the electrical and self-diagnostic tests were well within spec and the throttles were still balanced.

She'll be off for valve timing on the 18th, they'll check and adjust valves and install spark plugs at that time which will complete the 24k service.

Keep an eye on this space for developments.............

IMG_0874.JPG

• Like 1