2nd gen.KLR650/ boring?

No , I'm not talking about increased bore dimensions. What I'm getting at is what is it about the 2nd gen. KLR that makes me want to sell/upgrade to something more exciting?image.jpg

Well, I did just that back in 2012 and bought this:image.jpg

So it's late 2016 and I still own , ride , the KLR regularly pretty much splitting time between the two bikes. It's my mundane ride it into work bike. I don't want my higher ups thinking they're overpaying me now do I. Everything about this bike doesn't seem sexy, inspiring , pulse quickening, so why can't I part with this lump? Every time I finish up a jaunt on the KTM pseudo rallye racer and gaze upon the KLR I just have to shake my head about the thing I still have for the KLR. Is this the most underrated,misunderstood, generic representation of just good old motorcycle riding out there or am I just suffering some sort of moto - partum syndrome?

• Like 2

There's a part of us as we grow older and wiser that longs for simplicity, ease, and basic functionality. My "large" adv bike is a used DR650 that I bought from a fellow going through a divorce(it was for sale right next to a tanning bed. I passed on that!). These big thumpers, including the BMWs, are fun and easy to ride and repair. They'll haul you around the world. I consider the KLR and DRs to be the plain vanilla Ford F150s of adv bikes. These basic affordable bikes remind me of the thrill I got the first time I rode a motorcycle in 1969. For me, adventure riding is about slowing down, decompressing, stopping for coffee,meeting people, wandering... I'm not slamming expensive high-end bikes but for me boring is fine!

Edited by kojack06
  • Like 2

The KLR - Will they keep producing this all purpose machine as a most simplistic option to the adventure riding community or will they re issue a 3rd generation version with all the electronic features now popular?

Will Kawasaki scrap the platform altogether and try to muscle into the territory ruled by the AT , GS , 1190R , Triumph 800,1200 with a dirt oriented large displacement mega ADV?

• Like 1

The KLR - Will they keep producing this all purpose machine as a most simplistic option to the adventure riding community or will they re issue a 3rd generation version with all the electronic features now popular?

Will Kawasaki scrap the platform altogether and try to muscle into the territory ruled by the AT , GS , 1190R , Triumph 800,1200 with a dirt oriented large displacement mega ADV?

I hope so. If anybody could produce a bike to rival the big dogs it's Kawasaki

• Like 1

What could a 3rd gen. of the KLR single look like? I might dream of it having a little higher compression and maybe fuel injection but with that added performance then a catalytic exhaust comes about. So for simplicity maybe they just tweak a little more with the carbed set up. Give it a six speed or even seven speed box, or does a seven speed become to wide/ impractical?A little beefier forks/ suspension would be nice also. How about an 18" rear also. Incorporate a center stand too. In it's current config it does what's asked of it for its price. Any big redesign will surely elevate its msrp. Chuff on!

• Like 1

Read recently that big thumpers days are numbered by emissions numbers.  I would believe it, and the profits off these aren't great enough to justify new motor designs to meet emissions.  however most of these bulletproof dogs will live on like an old chevy 350 for decades past their disappearance from showroom floors.

I hope to see more midweight poly-cyl offerings that are more offroad capable though.

source: http://canadamotoguide.com/2016/09/19/the-end-of-big-single-cylinder-thumpers/

• Like 2

@NavyNuke- have wondered myself when these basic , big displacement singles might have to become more emissions friendly. Maybe I am indeed riding the last example of the KLR to be produced , at least in its carbed version. The article you linked points out the trends of the market around the world , food for thought.