Hola from Baja and San Diego

Hey ya'll, I am working on my Spanish and hola is a good start! Split my time between San Diego and Baja where I have a house in a funky little neighborhood just south of Mulege off MEX 1. My KLR lives there as does my KTM 450 EXC (which I am upgrading now) for explorations between the Sea of Cortez and the Pacific. Looking forward to a first winter on that. Write the motorcycle column for Discover Baja, have written for lots of online bike mags and my own site CarlaKing.com and publish my books and others at MisadventuresMedia.com. Present and moderate at Horizons Unlimited CA and Overland Expo West - I don't get much east of the Rockies in the USA anymore but have traveled in Europe, Africa, India, China, on various unreliable indigenous motorcycles. Have done a lot of reviews for street "touring" models but am a dual-sport addict. Trailer the smaller bike to various areas. Am looking at eastern Sierras for next summer. Meantime, Baja calls. Maybe I'll see you there!

Carla-Indian-BumbleBee.jpeg

• Like 3

• Administrators

Welcome, Carla!  We're honored to have you a part of this big bike community.

I keep saying I'm going to get down to Mulege but unless I race down and back, it's hard to get there in a reasonable amount of time.  I almost took the ferry over from Topolobampo in February but was hard to convince my riding mates.  The southern tip of Baja Norte is as far as I've been down there on a bike so far.  I'd really like to come see those petroglyphs you were telling me about!

Hello Carla.

Will hopefully get to go to Baja again, what my Wife and I briefly saw with the Norte tour group we were with was interesting for sure. Plus I'm an old district 37 desert rat by nature so miles and miles of sand, rocks and lizards doesn't faze me, sounds like Paradise compared to what we're about to get here in Oregon.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Took me long enough to get back here on the site, right? 

Well, I'm in the SF Bay Area now and my KLR is stuck in Mulege until I get down there after covid restrictions. 

Aarg!

Have been busy writing but not as much riding as I'd like. Wanting that to even out more. I mean, motorcycling is the new safe sport, right? 

I wrote the moto adv column in Discover Baja, if you're looking for great places to explore. It's mostly about the border to the middle of Baja, Loreto-ish. It's about 4x4 and trailering your bike, too. 

I did a 4x4 trip across from Loreto to Scorpion Bay that was epic. Camped on the beach and learned to surf (sort of). Highly recommended. 

And here's the KTM 450 EXC rigged for Baja - lowered, stabilizer, Rekluse, etc. Seemed like most of the time I just hung on and let it do its thing. I'll try not to be a stranger!

spacer.png

• Like 4