The classic front tire blow out!

• Administrators

That crazy!  Sorry to hear that.  You weren't hurt were you?

How does one prevent a front blow out?  Good question.  I guess one thing might be to use ultra heavy duty or at least heavy duty tubes.  Another is to change the tube when you change out the tire.  A lot of us re-use tubes (I do) but after maybe two or three times, you should replace it.  I read a story about a guy down in New Zealand who had a front tire blow out on him and that was unfortunately his last ride ever.  They investigated his bike and found the front tire was new but the tube inside was worn and simply blew.  I wonder how many times that tube was re-used?

You could try the Tube-bliss product or one that Bryan listed here a while ago about some kind of inner layer that overlaps the rim and is supposed to prevent pinch flats.

I'd say about 95% of my flats are the rear tire, so the front is not one I'm thinking about that much.

I'm fine thanks for asking, just a little bruised and sore today. I made 2 mistakes and paid the price... #1 The tube was a used one like you said #2 I did not check my pressures before the ride, I always check my damn pressures!! I've had flat fronts on my dirt bike before and it was no big deal. You cannot believe how fast I was on the ground when that thing let loose, there was absolutely nothing I could have done. I hope everyone takes notice of your advice not to reuse their tubes, I know tires are expensive and we're probably all guilty of getting cheap on tubes but is just not worth the consequences.. I'll be replacing the front tire asap along with a brand spanking NEW UHD tube and the rear will be getting a new one as well.

• Like 2

I had the opportunity to meet the owner and creater of this lovely piece of engineering that Eric mentioned above. They sit between the wheel and the tube, and the theory is they'll help prevent pinch flats. I might get one for my new 21 inch woody wheel.

http://motocross.transworld.net/press-releases/squatch-racing-tube-guard/#PxzmiRbVyufos4ED.97

Edited by Rogers
  • Like 3

I had the opportunity to meet the owner and creater of this lovely piece of engineering that Eric mentioned above. They sit between the wheel and the tube, and the theory is they'll help prevent pinch flats. I might get one for my new 21 inch woody wheel.

http://motocross.transworld.net/press-releases/squatch-racing-tube-guard/#PxzmiRbVyufos4ED.97

Good info, I'll give it a shot.

@rooster72 - Your OK that's the main thing for sure. Thankfully your speed wasn't any faster! The 990's only bruised I hope. Just put new tubes and tires on mine. Metzeler premium heavy duty tubes / new rim strips. Tractionator Adv. front , Mitas e-07 Dakar rear. Both feature really stout sidewalls and have them aired substantially lower than KTM specs. Hoping to never go through a blowout as it's happened to me on past road bikes. NOT fun. Always new tubes of high quality for me. Glad it wasn't too serious ! Ride on

• Like 3

@rooster72 - Your OK that's the main thing for sure. Thankfully your speed wasn't any faster! The 990's only bruised I hope. Just put new tubes and tires on mine. Metzeler premium heavy duty tubes / new rim strips. Tractionator Adv. front , Mitas e-07 Dakar rear. Both feature really stout sidewalls and have them aired substantially lower than KTM specs. Hoping to never go through a blowout as it's happened to me on past road bikes. NOT fun. Always new tubes of high quality for me. Glad it wasn't too serious ! Ride on

It's all good, going to get redemption tomorrow!! I'll tell you what, that bike really surprised me how well it took a fall, hardly any damage at all. And yes, new tubes every time this this guy.

• Like 2

@ Rooster72 - yeah they're solid. Hit a deer ( smaller) with mine at around 45mph ( with oem crash bars, pannier racks) and slammed off pavement hard with no major structural damage other than bad cosmetic stuff. Crash bars , racks on one side were sacrificed but saved the bike in the end. Get her back to your standards and ride on to your next adventure!

• Like 1

@Rooster72- In my case , I think I had a less than positive hold on the bars because I was in " cruising down the road " mode and then in a split second that deer was in my front wheel. If I had a good solid grip on the bars I might have shrugged it off. Now I take nothing so nacholantly and really got a hold at all times.Older and wiser now , maybe lol:)

FullSizeRender7.jpg@Rooster72- In my case , I think I had a less than positive hold on the bars because I was in " cruising down the road " mode and then in a split second that deer was in my front wheel. If I had a good solid grip on the bars I might have shrugged it off. Now I take nothing so nacholantly and really got a hold at all times.Older and wiser now , maybe lol:)

Already on IT!!

Edited by Rooster72
  • Like 1

@ Rooster72 - yeah they're solid. Hit a deer ( smaller) with mine at around 45mph ( with oem crash bars, pannier racks) and slammed off pavement hard with no major structural damage other than bad cosmetic stuff. Crash bars , racks on one side were sacrificed but saved the bike in the end. Get her back to your standards and ride on to your next adventure!

It'll take a lot more than a couple bruises and a smashed crash bar to hold me down bro!! I'm just bummed that winter is rearing its ugly face out here. I ran into some snow and ice covered trails at elevation today, DAMMIT!!!

• Like 1

@Rooster72 - right back into battle! Cool ! At your location it sucks that your riding season can end faster than where I am in northern NY close to the Vermont border. I can generally ride past Halloween , sometimes close to Thanksgiving. The deer and bear hunters would be happier if they didn't have me braaaaping through the woods around here. Hope you've got some good riding left this season!

Yeah, but it's been an amazing summer. I can still ride in some of the lame lower areas and I'll probably load up the dirt bike more often than usual for some track riding. I do plan to take a quick trip to MOAB in a couple weeks for an end of the summer blast. I figure I deserve it!! 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...