KTM 1290 Super Adventure R?

Alright, here's my two cents.

I like it, but there's something that doesn't click.

1- Think about it. This is the KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE R. Super. Adventure. R. Like...the ultimate offroad vehicle, a deity with an engine, the definitive tool for dirtbiking. It has a Super and a R in the name...and they show it worldwide with road tires. :huh:

2- That headlight. What's that? A buttcrack? A Vag...you get it. I don't like it.

Other than those two points, though, I like it! 👍

• Like 2

Man that is cool! I agree though, "SUPER R" displayed in a tub of sand without a set of knobbies? Although it will have enough power to relocate the Sahara. The tank size is hard to

judge from the pics so I cannot comment on that except I hope it is bigger than the current R. Well I will be desperate to see a review on this bad boy and see if it can give the new

Ducati Enduro a run for the money.I am going to have to see that nose job a few more times before I can say &%$#@! though.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Here's some more info Gerd sent me from a German magazine, 1000ps

Pretty much what we already know from the 1190 R and 1290 Super Adventure (standard) but with a few more details:

• 220 mm of travel (front and rear I assume)
  • 160 hp
  • 23 liter tank (same as 1190R)
  • 217 kg dry (478 lbs) vs 210 (dry) for the 1190R
  • Ground clearance 250mm (same as 1190r)

Pierre, you will have to translate this for us ;)

This all of them!

Well, basically, they've "spread" the whole lineup even more.

Now the old 1190 engine isn't used anymore, anywhere.

Now there's the 1290 S which replaces the old 1190adv (and NOW has road rims),

the 1290 T which is literally the same bike as last year's 1290 SuperAdv,

and the 1290 R, which is the...R. Y'know, the one with the buttcrack on the front.

They changed the colors, they redesigned some of the overstructures, new dashboard, new lights, they redesigned the panniers for the S and T models...

One thing that kinda baffled me is that in the video they speak with the AD of KTM Italy, and he sounds like the most bored, "dafuq am I doing here" guy ever. Also, he said something about the 160hp of the R model "not having to be used all, in order to enjoy the bike".

Honestly it was all kinda sad. :huh:

Oh, almost forgot. They don't say ONE SINGLE WORD about the "small" bikes, namely the 1090/1090R.

Edited by PierreADV
  • Like 1

• Administrators

That 1050 they had in EU only seemed to be some kind of license thing; that it was easier to get a license to ride that bike than a larger one?  I heard it was heavier than the 1190 too (with the mag wheels).  Not sure if the 1090 is basically the same?

He may have been referring to the off road mode that limits the bike to 100 hp.

What would have been great is if they talked about the new 790/800 bike they're working on.

• Like 1

That 1050 they had in EU only seemed to be some kind of license thing; that it was easier to get a license to ride that bike than a larger one?  I heard it was heavier than the 1190 too (with the mag wheels).  Not sure if the 1090 is basically the same?

He may have been referring to the off road mode that limits the bike to 100 hp.

What would have been great is if they talked about the new 790/800 bike they're working on.

No no it wasn't a license thing. Down here, after you're 21 and you get the bike license, you can ride whatever you want, no limits.

And about the KTM AD, he didn't speak about the offroad mode, doesn't even mention it, he just says that "160hp shouldn't scare people away from this bike".

I wonder if the 1090R will actually be the better bike... Lighter, more ground clearance, cheaper, and still plenty of power.

And it's not like anyone ever said of the 1190: "I just wish it had more power..."

• Like 1

What's wrong with me ? KTM launches their latest Adventure weaponry and I'm supposed to at least be visually excited by the unveiling. NOT! Thankfully my 990R at least looks the part. Just not wowed by this new design approach. Maybe I'm just too " invested " in the old interpretation of the Adv. My outdated ride makes me think of Gal Gadot strutting around in a tight fitted uniform and combat boots. These new editions , not so much.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Rodeo.Cowboy (Nick) on Instagram says he's selling his 990R (4K miles) because he wants an f800 GS to be part of the GS "community."?

First of all I was like "only 4K miles?!" Second I was like "I'm. Im not sure the BMW community cares what your ride.

Turns out it was more an issue of KTM dealers near him not wanting to work on it but there are more BMW dealers to choose from. I guess that makes sense but I was like who would ever sell a 990R?!

• Like 1

Rodeo.Cowboy (Nick) on Instagram says he's selling his 990R (4K miles) because he wants an f800 GS to be part of the GS "community."?

First of all I was like "only 4K miles?!" Second I was like "I'm. Im not sure the BMW community cares what your ride.

Turns out it was more an issue of KTM dealers near him not wanting to work on it but there are more BMW dealers to choose from. I guess that makes sense but I was like who would ever sell a 990R?!

(check your email, pls, I need some info!)

Anyway, I can understand how Nick feels. Down here, around me, the only KTM dealer is so uncompetent, so unreliable, so obtuse and expensive, that I'd rather ride a tricicle (one with PEDALS, not a trike or whatever), than to buy something in that money-pit.

Truth be told, even the BMW dealer is some sort of street-shark, so...

Oh and btw...this is my second BMW, and I can assure you guys that BMW (at least BMW Italy) doesn't give a flying &%$#@! about what I ride. I've tried to get in touch with them countless times, in order to start a collab or something, and...well, nope.

• Like 2

If you guys feel bad about holding on to your 990's, don't, I'm still holding on to an 03 (rebadged 04) with a boat load of (s)miles. I get to ride the 1190 and 1290 models at the demos I work, then get on Shasha and ride home content. I like it enough to recently purchase a used 06 950S with only 4500 miles, and I'm the 3rd owner, "too fun not to ride" said the ad. 2nd owner, 140 miles in 17 months. I think he was too short for an S model.

My reasoning is I'm not interested in gimmicks, 160hp or 6 computers, I just want a 700-1000cc off-roader like the 950/990 that can be dropped without cracking fancy plastic. How long are these fancy lights going to last?

BMW? Bummer, but a good move if you aren't mechanicaly inclined and you have issues with a dealer. Some dirt only KTM dealers don't want anything to do with the street bikes. I tell customers who ask which bike to buy who don't want a KTM, buy from a good, close reliable dealer you can trust to get parts and service from. It's usually kids looking for used bikes and parents looking for beginner bikes like 50-200cc thumpers.

Edited by MGorman
  • Like 2