KTM 1290 Super Adventure R?

I agree but I see the skid plate and hand guards as price point items. How many of say 50,000 built will ever go down anything rougher than a back ally or groomed township road?

You could put aluminum handguards with brush/wind deflectors but they​ weigh a bit more, plus, hardly any of the rally guys use aluminum hand guards. Some like them big for the wind, some thin just for falls, they'd need a compromise.

Skid plate? no matter what they designed, some company will say their guard is better and people will flock to buy it. Plus, that adds weight to the advertised specs and everyone wants a 180hp, 350lb full sized Adv and in reality, it won't happen if we keep adding beef. Meoni's Dakar winning 950 had a fairly skimpy carbon unit. KTM could do carbon but then the msrp goes up. The difference in weight between a stock 950/990 plate and a Black Dog is very significant. In fact when I looked at where to get rid of weight, that skid plate was top of the list bug it has to stay.

Just look at the 450SX-F, the lightest (even with e-start), most powerful production 450 and the price tag to go with it but no skid or guide plate. The mx guy will install a skimpy glide plate, the gncc guy will go full ballistic.

• Like 3

At times I wonder who they listen to.  Look at the number of MX shootouts there are and the next year the same bikes have the same issues.  KTM bad forks, Kawasaki no handling, Honda headshake, Suzuki running a near decade old design sans EFI.

But they did listen to one group.  Years ago the RC bikes were always given last place in the superbike shootouts.  Everyone loved the light weight, handling and the fun factor.  Reason for last?  No rider aides!  What do we have now? 7 computers on the Duke GT! More CPU's, ECU's and MCU's than the rockets that went to the moon!  Actually I believe there is more calculating power in my dated cell phone that the rocket ship had.

My original 950 skidder lasted quite a while though it does have a few small cracks in it.  However, If I hadn't had the Black Dog on when I did the Taste of Dakar ride a few years back, my bike would have been done in right then.  I was chasing 2 factory 690 Rally and 2 kitted 690 Rally and the BD plate took a real beating, it only had one small dent and some scarring from plowing into rocks and washouts at speed.  I got my feet wet in desert riding and my front wheel ended up with 8-10 smilies and one good sized crack that we fixed with a lead hammer to get me home. 

NCM_0768.jpg

I am happy they are putting better front wheels on!

NCM_0802.jpg

• Like 2