AltRider DualControl Brake System Offers Honda Africa Twin Riders Control Off the Pavement

• Administrators

SEATTLE, WA – October 18, 2016 – (Motor Sports Newswire) – Motorcycle accessory manufacturer AltRider is now stocking their DualControl Brake System for the 2016-17 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin. This innovative device offers riders better control over their rear brake lever in both seated and standing positions, making it an ideal upgrade for adventure riders looking to leave the pavement.

161018-altrider-altrider-dualcontrol-bra

AltRider’s DualControl Brake System provides quick access to the Africa Twin’s rear brake, no matter what position the rider is in.

“Most ADV riders change their foot position as they switch between standing and sitting,” explained AltRider Founder Jeremy LeBreton. “If your foot is not situated properly on the rear brake pedal, you’re potentially doubling reaction time and stopping distance, which can be especially hazardous when riding off-road. The DualControl Brake System aims to correct that problem so riders can maintain control over the rear brake at all times.”

AltRider’s patent-pending DualControl Brake System features two pieces to help enhance a rider’s control and reaction time: a riser and an enlarger plate. When a rider transitions from a seated position to a standing position, the change in angle tends to bring the front of the foot higher and further away from the rear brake lever. The riser was designed to provide quick access to the rear brake, no matter what position the rider is in.

161018-altrider-dualcontrol-brake-system

The enlarger plate was designed to combat the effects of off-road terrain on the rider’s footpeg position. This piece provides a greater surface area to minimize slips or misses in bumpy riding conditions. With both pieces installed, the DualControl Brake System helps Africa Twin riders improve reaction time and control over the rear brake lever.

Features Include:

• Patent pending design
  • 25.4mm tall riser is constructed of billet aluminum
  • Billet aluminum enlarger plate is precision fit to the Africa Twin
  • Replaceable grip pins provide traction in all conditions
  • Riser and enlarger available separately or as a kit
  • Installs easily with included stainless steel hardware
  • Available in silver or black finish
  • 100% designed and manufactured in the USA]

161018-altrider-dualcontrol-brake-system

The AltRider DualControl Brake System is 100% engineered and manufactured in the United States. The riser and enlarger are offered separately or as a kit, and are available in a silver or black finish. AltRider DualControl Brake Systems are available at www.AltRider.com and through authorized AltRider dealers.

About AltRider.com

From their vast catalog of American-made protection pieces and other accessories to their annual signature rides, AltRider is all about giving riders the freedom of adventure. The Seattle-based company designs, tests and manufactures its products to function well, look good on the bike, and stand up to brutal riding conditions. Learn more at www.altrider.com.

altrider-banner-2.jpg

• Like 1

• Administrators

A lot more time is spent standing when riding a big bike off road and trying to stab at a lower brake lever vs a higher one is tough.  Jimmy Lewis suggested the fold over spacer BMW uses on its GS (and HP2) bikes for that reason.  I think Jeremy from AltRider sensed an opportunity: why can't every bike have that option?  I haven't tested it but I did find two riders who did for him and they seemed to like it.

If he'd only make one for the 990!  :lol:

• 4 months later...

I have this fitted on my CRF1000L.

Due to having lowered pegs that stick out further than stock I really have to turn my foot in to tread on the higher section of this pedal.

The enlarged section is still useful though. Worth adding just for that.

• Like 1

I'm not sure I would like this. Over the years I have set my controls up to be most effective when standing. IMO, you should be able to get a good compromise by proper adjustment of the stock pedal. I think a oversize pedal would be a much better option. That raised pedal look like it could punch a hole in your cases if you were doing rock crawling.

1 hour ago, Eric Hall said:

Maybe but how much rock crawling is done on bigger adventure bikes?  But that's also why I have a case-saver

Good point! Now I'm starting to wonder how much trouble I would get myself into on one of these bikes! I'm willing to bet once or twice and then I would hopefully learn.....

Rocks crawling is one aspect of off-road riding on a XLADV bike that I really wouldn't want to do. 

Riders like C. Birch and A. Riemann have shown us in their amazing videos just what these bikes are capable of doing but there's limits...

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I have since used this on the 990 and love it!  It was in June I think with @556baller going up to McIver's Cabin that it became obvious.  The rear brake control when standing is just spot on.  Instead of having to stab my foot down to get any rear braking it's just already where it's supposed to be and really improves control.  The benefit is like rotating your controls down when you're in a standing position; trying to grab the clutch/front brake when standing and they're sticking straight out is pretty awkward.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

I have since used this on the 990 and love it!  It was in June I think with @556baller going up to McIver's Cabin that it became obvious.  The rear brake control when standing is just spot on.  Instead of having to stab my foot down to get any rear braking it's just already where it's supposed to be and really improves control.  The benefit is like rotating your controls down when you're in a standing position; trying to grab the clutch/front brake when standing and they're sticking straight out is pretty awkward.

I've been using LHRB's for years on both my off road bikes. It's the hot ticket when going down loose, steep stuff.

• Like 2