New Yamaha Concept: T7

• Administrators

new video out from Yamaha today

With a date (2021 model) and details!!!!

Suspension / Front: 43mm inverted fork, fully-adjustable; 8.3-in travel
Suspension / Rear: Single shock, adjustable preload (w/remote adjuster) and rebound damping; 7.9-in travel
Brakes / Front: Dual 282mm hydraulic disc; selectable ABS
Brakes / Rear: 245mm hydraulic disc; selectable ABS
Tires / Front: 90/90R21 Pirelli® Scorpion® Rally STR
Tires / Rear: 150/70R18 Pirelli® Scorpion® Rally STR

L x W x H: TBD
Seat Height: 34.6 in
Wheelbase: 62.6 in
Rake (Caster Angle): TBD
Trail: TBD
Maximum Ground Clearance: 9.5 in
Fuel Capacity: 4.2 gal

Estimated Range: 215 miles/346 km
Fuel Economy: **TBD

Dry weight (unofficial): 452 lbs/205 kg
Wet Weight: ***TBD

Price: Available early 2020

Ground clearance: 9.5"

Rear travel: 7.9"/200mm

Front travel: 8.3"/211 mm

Fuel capacity: 4.2 gallons /15.9 liters

Switchable ABS

• Administrators

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 12.42.55 PM.pngInteresting problem I see here at the 0:50 mark as it appears this rider is making permanent designs in the desert landscape.  I know it's just an ad and all but anti-OHV groups see this and freak out.  "Riding off trail!!!!"  "Permanently scarring the land!!!"

Well, I must say Im a little disappointed. The 205kg wet is ok with me, but 210/200mm suspension travel is too short, 16L fuel is not enough and its 10mm longer wheelbase than my 1190. I feel like it is quite a big bike. 2019 release here in Australia, so I'll probably go test one if I dont own a 790 by then.

• Like 3

You beat me to it Nerb.  Same exact concerns that I had -  The problem is, this thing has been so long in the making that the hype may have exceeded the final product.  It's always riding a fine line when trying to implement a perfectly timed marketing plan.  The T7 is way overdue...

I may be biased since I ride the best off-road focused adv bike ever made;  2005.5 KTM 950 Adventure. :ride:

• Like 1

• Administrators

@onewheelwheatley yeah I think that's why Yamaha did all these videos recently; it's to keep share of mind knowing the 790 is coming out.  Their hope maybe is people will be more likely to take a wait and see approach on the 790 and perhaps wait for the T700 in '21.

Other negs I've been hearing are how high that fuel sits.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm not a big Orange fan except for good old classic such as 990 is, but last models look really cool I must say and this new 790 is beating the ground away from below the wheels of other brands for sure.  What is pissing me off is the fact that KTM put so much in adventure market doing literally every year something new with their bikes while Yamaha's XT660Z was on the market from 2008 and for the last three years, they have only one big adv bike in adv segment giving zero f@#k. Playing this stupid game with different concepts which will make them pay for badly, in my opinion, they have lost all the hype around the bike and not many people really interested in it anymore. I truly believe that new Tenere 700 will be a gravestone on the whole Yamaha's ADV segment since that bike has nothing to do with all those smart and sexy yet simple lines we saw on the first T7 concept. It still looks OKish but that's definitely not enough to become a crazy top seller or something especially after we've seen that first concept. It is clear that for those who value high specs, KTM will be a no-brainer for sure. Another thing is that the bike has nothing to do with long-distance adventures. Small tank, tiny seat. It is quite boring to visit gas station having 22 liters tank with around 5l per 100km, but 16 liters is something totally ridiculous. So it is going to be a toy for those willing to have some fun and ok with that final design, but Yamaha should pray it will be a damn good and quality toy coz otherwise... Oh boy. I believe that every brand should have their awesome and solid big and medium size adv bikes. Just like BMW has. I mean, no matter if it is a big 1200 GS or 800GS they are both fantastic machines with great specs and awesome look. Same with Triumph and few other brands. But this new T700 doesn't look like the right bike in Yamaha's middle class. It looks like a Rally bike wannabe with 200 plus kilos of weight when you don't need it. Maybe it is just me, but this is how I see it.

Edited by VISORHEAD
  • Like 1

• Administrators

@VISORHEAD  Well said.  I certainly don't hope it turns out that way but you may be right.  I'm concerned about the small tank, high center of gravity, small seat.  We shall see!

I think the biggest reason this is what it is is because it's a Japanese factory (risk averse), although I have a lot of props for Honda for what they did with AT.

Well, Eric. I keep my best hopes too that everything is going to be alright for Yamaha. And I do that because I started dreaming of motorcycle adventures watching Stephane Peterhansel winning Paris-Dakar rally on his different type of YZE during his golden 90s. That look of an old Super Tenere 750 is still the most iconic in the history of Paris-Dakar yet one of the best ever created in the adventure bike world. So seeing those rare these days bikes on the streets brings a wave of nostalgy and deep in my heart I believe that the great Yamaha's adventure heritage deserves much more than that new Tenere 700.
I'm not sure about the Japanese factory, to be honest as they previously told us that European departments do pretty much all the work on Tenere. They are obviously targeting the European and American market as pretty much all the Asian market is based on bikes under 400cc due to restrictions, but they are not listening for their customers and people who really know everything about adventure. What is pissing me off most is that every advertisement is positioning adventure bikes as a hardcore enduro while their frames get broken during the easiest rides with limited offroad.
Anyway, those are my own thoughts and I don't see a great future for Yamaha with bikes like Honda AT and especially all new KTM 790 around.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

Launch date of mid July in the UK at least

2019_yam_xtz700_eu_bwcm_stu_001_03-63696

It will be interesting to hear what people say about it over there. July isnt far away.

I still have hopes for this bike. Im just thinking about changing the suspension and if someone like safari tanks will make a bigger tank for it.... theres AU$5k worth of upgrades.... so it would have to be cheap.... please be cheap!

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators

@Camel ADV got their hands on a T700 and imported it from Canada and had it at the ADVRally this past weekend.  Didn't get to ride it but did sit on it and heard a lot from @Spencer Hill.  From what I recall it has great low end power, can tractor well.  Suspension could use some help.  Plenty of power thanks to the lower weight.

On 11/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, Eric Hall said:

@Camel ADV got their hands on a T700 and imported it from Canada and had it at the ADVRally this past weekend.  Didn't get to ride it but did sit on it and heard a lot from @Spencer Hill.  From what I recall it has great low end power, can tractor well.  Suspension could use some help.  Plenty of power thanks to the lower weight.

It's a rock solid bike. The ergonomics are excellent for a taller rider, the gearing is spot on and the motor has gobs of low end power. The suspension is a but soft but I'm bigger than the average bear so that's to be expected. Lots of people are saying it's top heavy, it isn't. There's very little difference between the feel of it and the 790 in that regard. If you buy one, you won't be disappointed!

• Like 2