Kenda Desert 100

• 4 weeks later...

Matt, Pat and I will be back this year with a few newbies in tow.  Should be a good time.  Given last years drama, I'm a bit surprised the ADV class requirements weren't tweaked more than adding "from the factory" in front of the 652cc min for 2015.  It would have been nice to see it opened up to allow KLRs, V-Stroms or 650 (single) BMWs etc as well. I think the future of the class isn't 690/950/990 KTM or 800/1200GSs, it's with cheaper bikes. I think a lot more people could be enticed to enter if they could do it on a $5,000-$10,000 rather than a $15,000-$25,000 one.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Bump for 2016.  As I just said in my 2017 Baja Raly challenge, it's time for some Big Bike Hooligoons to put their money where their mouth is.  Let's race the Desert 100, 2APR16!  As soon as I find someone comfortable with chasing my kids for the  15-and-under category, I'm in on the 950SE.  

Who's coming with me?  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for 2016.  As I just said in my 2017 Baja Raly challenge, it's time for some Big Bike Hooligoons to put their money where their mouth is.  Let's race the Desert 100, 2APR16!  As soon as I find someone comfortable with chasing my kids for the  15-and-under category, I'm in on the 950SE.  

Who's coming with me?  

I don't know Brian. Just like the 24hr we cant seem to get traction and entice others to come play, sure we have more participants than the 24hr, but not the guys who really want to race for a win. Other than a few guys,Its has become more of a spectacle, you know like a participation trophy. 

.When I started this whole thing I thought others would pile on and we would show the club how fast Big bikes can be, and that we belong to be in the first wave. That's not going to happen. Not that the club would not be open to it, rather the fact that we would have even fewer racers.

Edited by Off Road Rider

First wave, as in the 100 instead of the 50? You know I'm in. Kinda sad that we have all these big bike guys out there and can only dig up a dozen or so who seriously want to race, and only in the 50. Lotsa talk...

I just wanna do big-bike hooligan shit with my big-bike hooligan friends! Have we taken an informal survey of the usual suspects for who's in this time?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-01-05 at 9:26 PM, brian.havoc1 said:

First wave, as in the 100 instead of the 50? You know I'm in. Kinda sad that we have all these big bike guys out there and can only dig up a dozen or so who seriously want to race, and only in the 50. Lotsa talk...

I just wanna do big-bike hooligan shit with my big-bike hooligan friends! Have we taken an informal survey of the usual suspects for who's in this time?

Matt, Adrian and I will be back. I think we have 3 or 4 "new to the D100" riders headed down with us. Luke said he was racing this year on this 701 as well. I'm trying to convince Pat to come down again.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Off Road Rider said:

Thats great Cory. Hopefully Wes will race the big bike again, But Ill make him ride the ADV and take the Se for myself. I need all the advantage I can get against the "kid"

I think he could be on a Ural and still stomp everyone so I doubt giving him the 950ADV with make much difference.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Signed up both myself and Wes.. I think it will be pretty cool to have a father and Son in the ADV class, Both on the podium would be the shindiggle :)  Hopefully we can keep the skid plates on and air in the tires.. Ill see you guys in a few weeks.

Edited by Off Road Rider
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Regardless of how it all turned out, I had an absolute blast at the D100 with you lunatics!  Seriously my favorite event of the year, and I'm super happy so many friends showed up.  From rev-limiter tests with the Canucks on Thursday night to watching my youngest cross the podium all on his own, it really was an incredible event.  Just bummed the Cyclops clan had fuel issues.  I just did the math, and with a 4gal tank on the 950SE (it's stretched a bit.  I filled it from purged-empty), I hit reserve at 36 miles.  That's under 15mpg.  Holy shit!

ALso, have parts on the way or on order, but it would appear that I have a radiator leak somewhere and that explains the extreme heat I experienced and why the fan would turn off so early despite a flashing 7-bar warning.  I dropped almost a half gal of distilled water into the radiator despite the overflow tank being withing specs.  Bike ran fantastic and wouldn't go above 4 bars while hammering it in the garage (screw you, neighbor prius lady!), but the steady drip-drip tells me I have a problem.  Couldn't get into it before I had to pack up and leave on this trip, but will check when I get home.  Hopefully it's a bad crush washer on one of the two bolts or a leaky clamp.  If not, Lee sent me his spare rad and I'll slam that sucker in.  

Edited by brian.havoc1
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I don't suppose the date for the 2018 event has been announced yet has it?  I have to plan my time off quite a ways in advance if it doesn't fall on my regular time off.  I'm really really looking to start beating the piss out of my AT on rides like this.