A new 1000cc GS?

Nope, Nope, Nope, That would be robbing sales of the new GS1200's at that point and BMW is not going to allow that close of competition between models of their own. The Africa Twin is too often in comparison to the GS1200 to pilfer sales between the two if made as a 1000. Tough times call for action especially if BMW have stopped reporting bike sales in their annual reports due to floundering sales and the competition making inroads into BMW's market share. From the original Italian article translated here https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=http://www.motociclismo.it/foto-spia-bmw-nuova-gs-col-bicilindrico-parallelo-anche-1000-cc-africa-twin-trema-66711&prev=search Some of the translations point to the spy shots being the new 700 or 800's, potentially undergoing development and testing. There's reference to the new 310 made by Indian manufacturer TVS for BMW and as the potential maker of these bikes undergoing testing as BMW has invested quite a lot in TVS recently to gain an edge in profitability. BMW needs to take a competitive stance as they did when the S1000RR came out and show them who's back on top of the game.

If you believe the rumours that Yamaha should have their 700 twin Adventure bike out in 2018 or sooner and KTM/Husqvarna will have their 800 twins out in various genres including Adventure models, it makes sense for BMW to pull out the stops and enter the class they created with a new and much improved 800 twin. I'd also suspect we'll see a new suspension supplier for the 800GS since KTM owns WP, and you'd not likely pay the competition to use their suspension when there are so many manufacturers willing to make it your way (think current Sachs components), Yamaha already has a long standing arrangement with the KYB suspension maker and it figures in most of their concept and production bikes.

Another rumour or premonition is the return of the triple black models (black storm metallic for the 800GS) that have spelt the end of the line for existing models and being replaced with much improved versions or in some cases entirely new motors like the water-cooled GS.

My money's on these spy shots are they are the new 700-800's undergoing testing, bodywork can always change, consider them confusion.

***added translation to the original Italian article

Edited by good dog
  • Like 1

You noticed they're not reporting North American results too?  I made some enemies pointing that out  :lol:   But we call it like we see it here

I know the comment was made on another forum and/or website and I may have seen you or someone else here mention it. And that's as vague as I can be.

I happen to think this new prototype is boring and not inspirational of anything

With the proliferation of 3D printing (I imagine BMW has one or two of those) it's easy to print ill fitting panels and old design pieces to throw off the spy shot shooters and give the conspirators (us) something to discuss.

This one http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/yamaha-fz-09-adv-off-road-dual-sport/ looks closer to production than their T7 concept Could a FZ-09/MT-09 Dual-Sport be the contender of the Africa Twin? Bigger than 800 but less than a 1000. Or is meant for hunting Tigers?

• Like 1