Baja Rally 9-14OCT 2017 - calling big bike hooligoons out--got what it takes?

This post is simple.  I'll be racing the 950 Super Enduro in the Baja Rally 5.0 in October of 2017.  I want you out there racing too.  

We proved in the 2016 BR that it is possible on a big bike, with 3 of 4 competitors finishing.  Yours truly...well, I crashed out and got hurt.  Got an appointment to clear that DNF next to my name!  

If you think you're a strong big bike rider, I hereby call you out.  If you think you've got what it takes to ride a big bike and rally, let's do this.  We need people to make the class worthwhile.  Four was a good proof of concept in 2016, so let's see if we can't get ten or more this time around.  Challenge yourself.  Challenge your friends!  Come out for the adventure of a lifetime and check Baja, Mexico, and a big-bike race off your bucket list!  I had an absolute blast and can't wait to go back and hit it harder, faster, and better in 2017.  

Put your money where your mouth is and come out for some good times in Baja!  It's not impossible--you just have to want it.  

Who's with me?

www.bajarallymoto.com

14543890_10154164227999220_7863040475597350529_o.jpg

• Like 3

VTwinner, not to be a dick (I am, but not on occasions like this), but this is one of those things where if you have more than moderate doubt, you're probably not ready.  But there's good news!  You've got 10 months to practice.  That's time to ride your ass off and get the rally practice and training you need.  

I'll let other people pass judgment on me and my riding skills, but the background is, I started riding adv bikes in January 2013.  I started riding hard offroad in January 2015.  I'm pretty good.  I'm not Chris Birch.  I have friends who are way faster with way more experience I'm competitive in spirit and I work at it.  To my mind, you just have to want it.  

Pulled from the entry page, don't register if you:

1) CONSIDER YOURSELF TO BE AN "INTERMEDIATE" LEVEL RIDER OR BELOW.  
2) HAVE NEVER COMPETED IN A TIMED MOTORCYCLE OR UTV COMPETITION.
3) HAVE NOT PARTICIPATED IN EITHER A ROADBOOK RALLY OR APPROVED RALLY TRAINING.

The logistics on the other hand...that's the challenge.  Spares, bro(s) to pit for you, a good stock of immodium, etc.   :D

• Like 1

Logistics was really my question.

I am from the midwest so my sand experience is lacking but that can be remedied.

I've started racing enduros here locally on small bikes. But it's a different type of racing.

Are there smaller shorter races in that part of the world where a person can go and get an idea of what to expect?

I'm not really toooooo concerned about actually being able to do it from a riding standpoint.

But preparing for logistics is really hard.

So my original post was probably misleading.

Intro to Rally school put together by the Baja Rally, 2 days of instruction & riding with real routes & road books (plus some fun extra curricular activities) hopefully planned for February. Great way to taste this & see whether it's for you.

Don't touch that dial.

Edited by philipbarrett
  • Like 2

I approve of this thread!

Training for next year at the local dirt bike meet up. Apparently I missed the memo about opening new single track so I was a little surprised when dudes started showing up on 250 and 300 smokers.

6b5e7b1c514edfa2abafc94b07231759.jpg

Sill searching for shade in December...

9bd5dc8a2f7ac8ab0ed12baff050fccd.jpg

The 640 took it all in stride.

Edited by Traffic
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

This is known to be a tough course that even a fair share of small bike guys complained about.  That being said, I know the guys who finished on big bikes were not Jimmy Lewis level riders and they did fine.  I think if you're at least an upper intermediate rider, have done difficult rides before, have a basic familiarity with navigation and roll charts then I think you'll have a blast.

This just in...  Baja Rally has added a rookie and senior class

• Like 1