It’s Only Sex and Dollar Bills, Ya’ll: A 45,000-mile Motorcycle Odyssey

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm currently in Uganda and it's the 28th country on our adventure ride. Last year we have been riding in Western part of US too and what I have noticed is that so many Americans love riding their bikes and traveling in general (in their giant RVs mostly), but they are afraid to leave their own country because of so many fears they have. The media in US pictures all the world as a terribly dangerous place (except US and maybe Canada, right?). 

The truth is, there are wonderful people living in every corner of the world. And MOST of the people around the world are friendly and have no wish to harm anyone. Surely there are places which don't get much tourism and don't have the comfortable infrastructure for travelers or sadly there are countries where people die every day because of wars and conflicts going on (almost never without at least a little help from US too... ), but I can assure you, world is much more safe, friendly and interesting place than you think it is ;)

The Americans are so curious, well educated and lovely people, I wish more of you guys would actually travel further and see the real world. It's not expensive (if you try a little), it's not as dangerous as you think it is and it's life-changing when you do it :) 

• Like 2

• Administrators

Yup.  Been to Mexico over 30 times on a bike and maybe 15 or so other times in a car or by plane and always had a good time.  Bolivia too.  On the other hand though, people in other countries seem to be equally misinformed about the US which I guess we can blame media for.  I once asked @michnus which country surprised him the most and he said the US!  I've met Japanese tourists who are afraid to drive on our freeways because they think they'll be shot.

Uganda is absolute amazing!!!! One of our top 5 countries ever travelled. We planned a week there and nearly stayed two months. The USA was really our biggest surprise. I swear I was more scared to ride the USA than Sudan or Turkana route. People and friends really told me not to speak to cops and have Elsebie talk to them as they will throw my ass in jail for doing or saying something stupid. And it is true the fu((ing media is the worst a$$holes in the world doing the most damage to the image of countries. I have zero time for them and will keep on writing articles to tell people to go to places. 

I ask many overlanders why they do not go through Africa and all are too chicken shit scared. Africa is not a walk in the park but it is a wonderful adventure travel destination and one of the last proper RAW experiences. South America - Ushaia is a holiday. 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1