Brett - KLR650 around the world

Hi all! I am Brett (@asphalt.and.beyond) and I have been on the road solo for nearly a year now finishing up 27,000 miles in North and South America as I prepare for Europe to Asia. I look for hardship, which is evident by my 15 day Darien Gap crossing.

I keep my own blog running with good, ad-free, details of how to travel, but I am always happy to answer questions directly. My goal is to travel, I love it. I want to help make it easier for others without the gimmick of making money. More travelers, less ignorance. 

Hope to see y'all on the road! 

fitz.JPG

About.JPG

• Like 2

• Administrators

Welcome!  Thanks for posting up.  I enjoy following you on IG.

So you crossed the famed Darien Gap?  That's pretty amazing.  There's some British group doing it claiming they're the first but I know Helge Pedersen did it as well as a guy I met in Mexico.  Still, that's a huge deal.

Thanks Eric! It was an amazing experience, 15 days, deadly animals, an angry turtle, and possible imprisonment. My write-up is too long for the forum, but if you are curious its HERE

Not sure where the British group are coming from, many people have crossed it, nowadays most go around it. It's getting safer to drive in the gap now, but without roads you do need a team to do it and a long time. Light bikes are best. I plan on going back someday and doing it. I was going to on this trip, but going solo with a large bike is asking for trouble. 

Still, all of it was awesome! My next trip is going to be more intense though for sure.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I met this guy in San Carlos, Mexico who is a US ex-pat retiree living with his Mexican wife.  We pulled up to the OXXO for gas and to get some breakfast (usually yogurt) and he came over to look at the bikes and ask us where we were from and where we were going.  He said he did a trip once on an XR650 and crossed the Gap.  I looked at my buddies as if to say "um... not sure about that" but he told us just about every detail of it.  It was some time in the 80's.  He never wrote about it on any forums; he just did it.  Pretty amazing.