Death Valley Prep

I don't have a fancy big adventure bike. But my buddy and I are planning to go the week after the big rally. We will truly be the odd couple. He has never been there. I've been there a number of times. While the GPS is cool, I laid out everything on a map including distance between fuel. As I'm sure a lot of you are aware, many of the roads are closed due to storm damage. 

He will be on a Gilroy Indian and me on my Beta. Kind of a bummer we won't be able to see the Racetrack. I opted to not do it because his Indian would be a pain to pick up after a fall or change a flat on the trail. Not to mention the dirt road to the Racetrack is really a rough dirt road. We are still going to have a blast! I have both a 300 mile day or optional 225 mile 1st day laid out in the park. 2nd day will be a little over 200 miles. We will play it by ear and see how it pans out. No big plans other than just enjoying the ride!

Here is my machine ready to go. I have about a 200 mile range as you see it here. I carry a MSR dromedary bag with over a gallon of spare fuel just in case. Speaking of fuel there are plenty of gas stations in and around the park. You have 9 fuel stops to choose from. To be safe I suggest to stop at each one you come to. Some of them can be over 100 miles apart if one is closed or out of fuel. A good optional fuel stop on the East side of the park is the Shell station at Lathrop Wells. If Furnace Creek/Stovepipe Wells or Shoshone has no gas then this is always a good option.

IMG_2243.JPG

I really like my map holder. My gps is cool but IMO maps are the best. 

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2324.jpgIMG_2325.JPGHope you all have fun at your DV rally. Please post up any strange stuff after your rally that I may need to know before we head out.

IMG_2244.JPG

IMG_2241.JPG

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 556baller said:

I live in Ridgecrest, I have truck and trailer parking if you need it. I broke my wrist on a ride out that way once, I'm glad I didn't have to ride back to Oceanside one handed. I left my truck and trailer at my brothers house in Ridgecrest. 

Thank you for the offer! Lets hope that doesn't happen on our ride. Riding with broken bones is miserable. 

• Administrators
On 2/14/2017 at 7:16 AM, 556baller said:

I live in Ridgecrest, I have truck and trailer parking if you need it. I broke my wrist on a ride out that way once, I'm glad I didn't have to ride back to Oceanside one handed. I left my truck and trailer at my brothers house in Ridgecrest. 

I busted my left wrist as well out there on Saline Valley road in April but was able to ride home thanks to Rekluse! ;)

BTW, I mentioned Gold Point but my key situation still hasn't been solved and there's a boat load of rain heading our way.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

I busted my left wrist as well out there on Saline Valley road in April but was able to ride home thanks to Rekluse! ;)

BTW, I mentioned Gold Point but my key situation still hasn't been solved and there's a boat load of rain heading our way.

It's all good then!! I have a Rekluse!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...