556baller

ADV Route/ Big Bike Friendly?

I recently attended the Dual Sports West, Death Valley Rally. Three day trip, Ridgecrest to Pahrump, Pahrump to Beatty, Beatty back to Ridgecrest. Nearly all dirt if you opt for dual sport routes. I came to the conclusion that there is place between dual sports and adv routes. Sadly to some, the ADV routes are nearly all pavement, with a few dirt fire roads. That hardly seems adventure like, but I guess the meaning is all based on the individuals out look. 

Point being, I get a sense that there are groups of riders that get stuck in what they call "positive feed back loops". For example, some one says something, some one agrees,and it just keeps getting repeated, and no one ever calls bull shit. In this situation, the word is, big bikes stay on pavement. I'm selective on the single track stuff, but larger bikes are just another bike to me. Anyone else experience this with in the riding community?

Edited by 556baller
  • Like 1

Definitely!  I like more challenging stuff but there's also some stuff that is kind of over the top for me and becomes a situation of "well I know I could do it but I don't don't if I'd really want to."

I did Goler/Mengel/Warm Springs on the 990 and managed but it was a workout for sure.  On the other hand, West Side road, Indian Ranch, etc... are way too boring for me.

I think Jerry's concern was that very few can handle a bigger bike well in technical stuff and he doesn't want his ride slowed down or have to rescue folks.

Dennis and I did a "big boy ride" one day at our High Sierra ride last year and about 14 started but only three of us finished together.  A big spectrum of what people like to do on a bigger bike.

• Like 1

Goler/Mengal, was a work out. The rocky sections left me zero room for mistakes. Day 2, I rode with a small group of 450/500's and it worked me and the bike. About the time I hit the 80 mile mark I was blowing bubbles. 

I guess the definition of ADV bike could be anything from a V-Strom to 1200 GSA, so "big bike" has become a catch all for anything other than a plated dirt bike. 

• Like 1

I personally have the mindset that they will go wherever you want but have to remember that it's a 500lb bike. I got my Beta all prepped for Big Bear Run hard ways in 2015. My strategy was to load it down fully self contained so I would not have to stop for fuel. Well at well over 325 lbs it beat the crap out of me. I made it over Redonda Ridge and had to call it. Just too heavy for rock crawling and my skill level.

I really think that's it's easy to get over your head quickly with these big bikes. We all know how it is. As long as you're up on 2 wheels you are king. When the bike is laying on it's side in a rut then reality sets in on how heavy these things really are. 

I do hear you on the adventure bike routes being wimpy. IMO, I think they should have them marked with level of difficulty with hard and easy ways with bailouts. Then at least a guy has a choice to get out if it gets too hard. 

I have no illusions that I am really using my Beta at the extreme end of a true adventure bike. For now it's all I have so I'm just making due until I can afford a real tour bike. At my skill level, my idea of a real adventure bike is something I can peel off thousands of miles and still explore the jeep trails and moderately difficult trails.

• Like 3

That's great insight. I was thinking there is this gray area where bikes in general are very capable with training, practice, and the right load out. But that "area" if you will can turn into a total situation before you know it. 

• Like 1

I spent years building, competing, and working in the rock crawler industry. Living in Apple Valley, my backyard was Johnson Valley. With that perspective, while running all the Hammer trails, it was a regular sight to see groups run trails in their own fashion. Crawling with a full tube framed buggy, stacking rocks to make trails passable was for some reason unthinkable. 

Moving forward, I realized it's all about enjoying what ever it is you do with friends. So I think about the differences in riding groups that apply that same mindset to ridding trails on a bike. Seeing big bikes on trail is cool, but I get the impression that the groups that ride smaller bikes look at the adv guys the same way I use to look at full bodied 4x4's running trails. It's really ironic for me, and humbling at the same time. 

I can remember running the Rubicon and seeing a group of brand new Jeeps and thinking, what a bunch of wankers. These days, I salute all those people that are out and about enjoying the outdoors in what ever fashion that suites them. 

Admittedly, I was a elitist wanker. I have since reformed myself...

• Like 2

Im planning the Taste of Dakar routes and running those (finally) this weekend.  Dennis and I are leaving tomorrow (Saturday) to head up to Beatty and stay for two nights and come back Mon or Tues probably.  I have a good advanced route already so I'm focussed on riding all my potential trails I've laid out via Google Earth and then coming up with an easy or scenic route and an intermediate route.  Intermediate means you better know what you're doing on a big bike if you want to finish in time (LAB2V).  Advanced is like small bike only.  Scenic is like big wide easy main dirt roads a noob with street tires could ride.

• Like 2

I've had a similar discussion... argument... nah, I'll stick with discussion with a couple buddies.  One of which just sold his GS and got a R1200RT (slab rider). 

By the end of the conversation and a few beers later, I'd decided that I just like dual sport routes and think that everybody on ADV bikes should be able to run around on them.  haha  In reality, the ADV bike world is a small chunk of bike sales as a whole.  It's only a very, very small chunk of those ADV sales that actually wear out their knobby tires on dirt and rocks opposed to slabbing them flat (dirty shame!). 

I just think that it's just such a small portion of the mototravel world that truly ride the big bikes in places that the majority think only dual sports and/or dirt bikes should go and the ones labeling the trails are unfortunately sometimes slabbers and don't know any better. 

• Like 3

Perhaps you should look into the Back Country Discovery routes?  I've done the CO, ID, AZ, and UT routes and while some are easier than others there will be days on all of them that will challenge you. All of these BDR's will have in excess of 700 miles off the pavement.  Adventure bikes in my opinion are just that, dual sports are smaller, lighter and more capable than a loaded "adventure" bike. But, a loaded adventure bike will run down the freeway at 80mph for two days to get to the start of a multi day off road excursion, do the ride, then run 80 mph all day long to get you home.  Both will put a grin on your face.

IMG_0527.JPG

• Like 3

On 11/14/2017 at 6:34 PM, Mooney78865 said:

Perhaps you should look into the Back Country Discovery routes?  I've done the CO, ID, AZ, and UT routes and while some are easier than others there will be days on all of them that will challenge you. All of these BDR's will have in excess of 700 miles off the pavement.  Adventure bikes in my opinion are just that, dual sports are smaller, lighter and more capable than a loaded "adventure" bike. But, a loaded adventure bike will run down the freeway at 80mph for two days to get to the start of a multi day off road excursion, do the ride, then run 80 mph all day long to get you home.  Both will put a grin on your face.

If it doesn't put a grin on your face you must be on the wrong bike or just not into it!!!!!

• Like 2