KTM ADVENTURE - NATIONAL MEDIA LAUNCH 2017

• Administrators
1 minute ago, 556baller said:

What do you think of all the new tech? That dash display looks really cool but I don't know if I'd want one.

Too much for me. I just don't need all that stuff. It ads cost and complexity that I don't value. For example, I have built in traction control with the clutch and throttle that has served me well for over 35 years. I don't need traction control, I don't need power modes (again, throttle control), etc... ABS has value for street riding, but outside of that, I'd don't want it.

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, 556baller said:

I'm with you, some of the tech is just over the top for my taste. I recently wondered why my bike even has a tach on it. I think all that stuff is gearing it for the rise of the Adventure/Goldwing hybrid. 

The creature comforts I do like are:

Hydro clutch, FI, and ABS that is EASILY turned off. They can have the rest. You're right,  I never needed a tach on a bike before and can't say I look at it much if at all. Probably like you, I know when to shift by how the bike feels.

I love the high tech stuff and would buy a new R in a heartbeat (If I had the dough). I posted a while back about trying the new Ducati 1200 Enduro and how fast and smooth it was with all the tech going it was not intrusive but I knew it was working. All that extra can really boost confidence but saying that, what if that new fancy screen goes BLIP and packs it in? Is the bike going to shut down or go into limp mode and leave you dealing with the KTM people trying to reprogram a new one for weeks on end? (Eric may know a thing or two about something like this). I love my 990 Baja and would sure like to have a new KTM ADV in my stable as well, one would have serious knobbies and the other something more street biased. I am sure you know what one would have the knobbies.

RPM

• Like 1

The 1090R would really appeal to me if they had narrowed its focus and design to approach the rally appearance instead of resembling the previous 1190R.

Perhaps a new interpretation of the Super Enduro ? 

No crashbars, single front brake, rear composite subframe-fuel tank, twin outboard radiators, tubeless spoked rims,no ABS, wide beam pattern twin headlight and a beneath the seat heat shielded exhaust.  

It's a distraction to fantasize about such a machine when I've already got enough enjoyment from my 990R

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
  • Administrators
On 2/28/2017 at 8:34 PM, Eric Hall said:

I got to visit KTM USA and spoke with their marketing guy about the US launch next month in St. George, UT.  He was bummed there are only 4 spots for US journalists and that means just the biggest.  Not even ADVMoto or ADVPulse or XLADV for that matter :(

Guess I spoke too soon.  The 1090 launch was last week and just about everyone except XLADV was there.  Not going to forget that one 

• 3 weeks later...