Rally Tracks Running Gong-Show

Took the 950 out with the girls to stretch as I've not ridden much big bike since my body broke itself hurling my 500 EXE off an MX track jump a la Ronnie Mac on meth. Took the Arizona Trail Riders Howling At The Moon Rally Route B tracks and set off for a day in the dirt....what ensued was a day of wicked soft, fine dirt, deep whooped-out sand jumps, tight trails and a few rutted hill climbs...in other words, an Epic Bloody Day.

Here's  one of the hill climbs that claimed victim to my mates Tony (640 ADV) and Mark (990 ADV). I had the good fortune of seeing both of them run, tip and get pushed out before this run that on video looks like a piece o piss but believe me (insert Trump here), it was no picnic:

The other stretch was in the easiest stretch we'd ridden all day. Hopping-off to open cattle gates, then gently winding through connecting trail...what could go wrong right? Well having a 990 rammed up your bottom was the last thing I'd expected but apparently Mark fell asleep at the wheel:

Guess I'm in the market for a tailtidy for the 950...anyone?

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

Looks like Mark has a map relief wrap on his bike similar to mine ;)

Yes, you were indeed part-inspiration for his design!

If I recall correctly it's part of the AZBDR that he found tough and being an art teacher, it's all had-drawn with sharpie if you can believe that!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eric Hall said:

And for the record, my inspiration was a jacket I bought from Icon Raiden a few years ago that had an opaque relief map pattern on it.  I've since seen the same thing done on AltRider 's BMW SX 1000R and another bike I can't recall.

Look at you setting creative trends...you go girl ;)

P.S. Your bike's wrap is TITS

• Administrators

Thanks! Story on that is I had a company that does motorcycle wraps and had done other bikes for our ThumperTalk site design this with my creative brief.  They did a good job and the material is first rate but they were the only "partner" of the project bike not to give any kind of discount.  I think in retrospect that was probably a mistake on their part and why I refuse to give them credit for their work when people ask "who did the wrap?"  To date there are 397 posts with the hashtag #xladvproject990 on Instagram alone.  I've actually considered removing the wrap and just riding it stock color.  It would look basically the same as 556Baller's 990.

I've been planning a new project bike, actually and am pretty excited.  Plan is to sell the 990 and a mfg has offered me a factory discount, so that will help.  I'm also going to kind of bid out the sponsorship contracts on it to raise half the cost of of the bike or around $6500.  I had about 13 or so sponsors so that's about $500/sponsor.  The free and discounted kit I got the first go around was really generous but in hindsight given the exposure the bike has gotten, it was a WAY better deal for them they'll have to pay extra for this time around.

What do you think?

#hindsightsanexactscience #whatdoesntkillyou #hashtag

I've spent far too long contemplating what to reply to you here hence the shallow attempts at humour above.

You're bloody lucky to have created what you have and be able to cherish the relationships that work, and learn from those that don't in an industry that we're all super bloody passionate about.

I look forward to what you create next

You sir have the life...apart from your neighbours..you have shyte neighbors

• Like 1