Re-calculating...

Decided to skip AltRiders ToD this year having attended the last 2 years...riding's good and people are always awesome, just felt a bit like been there done that. Already regretting it as I see the event planning underway but just stumbled across this: JLOR Pahrump to Dakar Rally Experience - http://jimmylewisoffroad.com/2017/03/04/2017-pahrump-to-dakar-registration-now-open/

Having zero Rally Navigation experience, this REALLY appeals to me and after a quick chat with "She who must be obeyed", I'm signed-up (giggedy).

Anyone else here planning to attend?

Cheers

Peter

Edited by GB.
  • Like 2

Rally the troops Eric, lets make it a group affair! (pun intended) ;)

Been toying with which bike to take since posting this...

500 EXE so I can learn the art with an easier bike and maybe tackle the "Hard" route option or

950 SE to take-on navigation basics on the bike I want to run in Baja eventually.

Best bets probably not to bite-off more than I can chew and take the 500 on the easy route..baby stepping my way into this format.

Anyone here have any experience with what basic Roadbook and Mount setup/CAP heading tool to spend money on?

Cheers

P

I could have sworn I talked to someone about this very recently on the bike selection question.  My suggestion, and take it for what it's worth because it's the opposite of what I did, would be to take the 500 and do it that way.  That's the perfect bike for the job.  The 950 is a sledgehammer in a world of fly-swatters, and to ride it well at speed generally requires even more concentration than the smaller bikes.  That's true for me anyway--your mileage and skillz will vary.  For the same reason that you turn down the radio in your car when you're lost in the city, I suggest starting with the 500.  Fight the roadbook first.  Then fight the roadbook on the big bike. 

For those looking at this event, it's the first in a while.  It's Jimmy Friggin' Lewis.  Probably some of the best instruction us mere mortals can hope to get.  The price is fantastic too.  Jump on it!  I doubt you'll see a better value any time soon.

• Like 2

Alright so now we've all agreed that the 950 is TITS and that to get the most out of this training the right tool needs to be selected so 500 it is!

Brian: what RB holder/mount/ICO stuff did you get pre-Baja? I've no idea what's good on a budget that is ideally universal and can mount to 500 and later the 9fiddy...any ideas/thoughts anyone?

I used the full-meal-deal package from RMS for pre-Baja and Baja.  The gear is expensive and it's almost single-purpose, so I elected to stick with what I had rather than the Rally Pro tower upgrade that I just now installed from Highway Dirtbikes. If you were to go whole-hog, I'd recommend the tower from HDB, the RB730 or RB750 and ICO (I prefer the RallyMaxG because there are no other wires to the front wheel to tear up, but it's an extra $100) from RMS and leave out the universal bar clamps.  However, this marries you to one platform.  If the intent is to switch, the universal clamps are a better idea. Ultimately, how pretty do you want it to be?  I never gave a rats ass about that (anyone who saw my 950 configured for Baja will confirm), and just wanted the capability.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, brian.havoc1 said:

I used the full-meal-deal package from RMS for pre-Baja and Baja.  The gear is expensive and it's almost single-purpose, so I elected to stick with what I had rather than the Rally Pro tower upgrade that I just now installed from Highway Dirtbikes. If you were to go whole-hog, I'd recommend the tower from HDB, the RB730 or RB750 and ICO (I prefer the RallyMaxG because there are no other wires to the front wheel to tear up, but it's an extra $100) from RMS and leave out the universal bar clamps.  However, this marries you to one platform.  If the intent is to switch, the universal clamps are a better idea. Ultimately, how pretty do you want it to be?  I never gave a rats ass about that (anyone who saw my 950 configured for Baja will confirm), and just wanted the capability.  

Thanks for pointing out HDB Brian. Appreciate your candid comments on your setup and what I've expressed as my needs....this reply was spot-on what I was after!

Cheers ~ Peter

Bahaah, I was going to reply that I may have blown a seal but my personal life has no bearing on my bike.  Your monkey-business was a bit funnier! 

Nah, nothing so dramatic.  New fork valving solution from Konflict for testing.  I blew the rear shock and it's getting a rebuild.  Picking it all up on Thursday and should have the beast road-worthy soon enough.

• Like 1