Beta 520RS for Adventure Bike

Not sure if this is the right place. I figure this might be of help to someone looking to downsize. This may not be the best bike, but for those of you on a budget like me or just don't have the dough for a big daddy, here is a decent option:

I bought this bike new in 2012 and have no regrets whatsoever. It has proven to be the most versatile bike I have ever owned.

I have used it for hard core single track:

100_4606.JPG

My first attempt at adventure setup. NOT GOOD!! Not balanced and the smooth tires about killed me!!

IMG_20140226_132115.jpg100_4093.JPG

I even got my Iron Butt on it!

Just don't overfill the oil or you will have no rear brake! LOL

IMG_0189.jpg

Even rode it on the track

100_3590.JPG

These are the king of tires right now, They go just about anywhere!

IMG_0343.JPG

This brought on a whole new meaning to "butt hurt"!

IMG_0225.JPG

And yes I even slapped on a 10 paddle and hit the dunes!!

IMG_0534.JPG

Edited by Ballisticexchris
  • Like 2

So right now I have it pretty dialed in for adventure rides. The Giant Loop and Kriega bags really help. The trickiest part of the whole setup is suspension tuning. It's really hard to get the perfect balance between proper sag, comfort, and able to flog it. I settled on heavy springs and set the sag for light off road travel bagged up. Keep in mind this is a dirt bike with a plate. It holds only 800cc's of oil in each side of motor/trans. I can pretty much peel off over 1000 miles and not worry about a oil change.

I have a fancy preload adjuster that really helps. 8mm socket and drill to adjust sag quickly.100_3357.JPG

For what I'm using it for this is the perfect setup:

P2250275.JPG

This kind of bike is not for everyone. After 300-500 miles of pavement it losses the comfort factor. In reality it's good for about 300 miles a day before you are looking to stop and rest. If you like to do 600-700 miles a day then this is probably not the bike for you.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 556baller said:

So I read a substantial amount of content on Thumper talk, a lot of 500rr-s stuff. 

Ballistic, some questions;

-factory wheels sets, any good? 

-plastic oil pump gears, any issues?

-what do you think of the dual oil reservoirs?

-are you running the 4 gal tank, whats your range?

I like the idea of light weight adv bike for when your slab sections are shorter than the dirt sections. 

What you see on my bike are the factory wheels. I also have a extra set of RAD wheels with Tubliss and real knobbies. I'm not running a cush hub and does not seem to be a problem.

Plastic oil pump gears are a big issue on this bike. If you have any kind of overheating (running 300+ degrees for extended period) they need to be changed. My next change I will be getting the steel ones. Problem solved.

I personally really like the dual oil system. The engine side does not get contaminated with clutch material. Something to note is not to overfill the oil. Beta recommends 1000cc of gearbox oil under harsh conditions or extended high speed running. Not good! The vent tube ends up blowing out the excess. 800cc each side works really good. 

My fuel range varies from about 35-50 mpg depending on gearing and riding conditions. For the DV trip I averaged 52mpg. That's with 15/45 gearing. When I run 13/48 gearing and a 10 paddle in the dunes I get less than 30. 14/48 gearing is the sweet spot for everyday dual sport riding and I normally get around 40-45mpg with an even mixture of slab and dirt.

Other things  of importance:

The chain tension recommended in the manual is way off. It's too tight. I run minimum of 40mm freeplay and closer to 45mm. I have seen 2 motors torn down that the owner overtightened chain and ruined the countershaft splines.

Valve adjustments are pretty simple for a shim design. I personally wait until the motor is hard to start then do an adjustment. In 250 hrs I have only needed one. Mine is a 2012 and I got the upgraded decompression device installed when doing first valve adjustment.

The wiring harness is a rats nest from the factory. I rerouted most of mine and put some slack where the subframe meets the main frame. This way it's easy to swing subframe up and out of the way for suspension servicing.

Suspension is very subjective and lots of guys argue on what the best setup is. I try to get my sag close to 105mm when standing. I'm a "C" rider. I have the 45mm Marzocchi forks and Sachs shock (piston style like the KTM's). Both ends work really well for any type of riding. I had mine valved for desert. Rocks, sand and whoops. As stated I have a big challenge trying to get the suspension set up for adventure riding. I'm going to stick with the 6.0 rear spring and go up a rate to .52 in the front. I weigh around 200lbs in street clothes.

Edited by Ballisticexchris

9 minutes ago, 556baller said:

I asked about the wheels because it never fails that you get a "great bike" and then you get the by the way, nearly everything stock has to be replaced to make it legit. 

However, after looking at a few Betas and doing some reading I've read that a lot of the OEM components are pretty good, with the exception of the seat. 

I was pretty butt hurt to find out that you drop $16K on a bike to find out you need to throw down another $5k to get it up to snuff. For example, the 990 needs a second cooling fan, a seat, wind screen, tires are terrible, wheels are soft, suspension is sprung for a horse jockey, skid plate, side stand relocater, and the list goes on...

You know how it is. We have this addiction to getting our bikes setup just right. If you look closely at my Beta you will see a beat up bike with close to 20k dumped into it! I was looking at the BMW GS's. And WOW!! 22K for the base model. After getting it all dialed in you have 30K into your ride. But man what a nice bike!

OTOH, the KTM 950/990 adventure bikes can go just about anywhere. IMO they are the gold standard for the big daddies. The new 1190/1290's are way too much. I rode a few of them on demo days. 150hp on a dirt bike is insane! 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really torn on what to do. Currently I have a 05 KTM300EXC for hard core trails and my plated Beta 520RS for everything else. As much as I'd love to have a big bore adventure bike, it's just not in my budget. I might be able to swing it in a few years but at 56 years old I have to ask myself do I really need one for the type of riding I do.

I recently got back from a 850+ mile ride to Death Valley and the Beta did just fine. Fully loaded it weighed in at 360 lbs and was actually manageable. Not as comfortable as the bigger bikes but more than sufficient for my needs.  A typical day ride for me is about 200-300 miles. I'm not into camping off the bike. OTOH I do understand the motor is not designed to for long miles between oil changes and it does not have a cush hub. 

I'm kind of sorry I sold my Ninja 650R. That bike could do a easy 5000 mile trip without a hickup.

• Like 2

Arrrr, I like this thread!  I'm torn on the next ride.  i'm a small dude with a passion for big bore!  however I love the agility of a smaller displacement.  thinking of a 690...  I like the frame, chassis and strength.  some good deals out there.  however if a 990 comes up :)  you never no, but it may be too much bike for me.  My heart says go big, but my skills and ability say stay in your size range.  still  torn on the next ride.  I plan to keep my current BMW F 650 GS 2003 as a commuter, and the new ride more "dirt oriented" .  more to come I guess.  They can get very pricey once you add everything you need.  (or think you need) Hopefully there is a "garage Queen" out there with my name on it.  Certainly don't want to take a risk on getting a lemon or a beater.  Brand new from the dealer is out of my price bracket for now.  I don't mind buying used at all.  

The 690/701 looks like a really interesting platform. It's turning out to be one of those bike that you can build in any direction. Funny thing is, seeing it next to my 990; I consider it a small dual sporty bike. 
I think I got to hung up on finding a bike that I thought could everything. Come to find out, I would have been happy just ridding. 
701 with a wind screen, soft luggage, and two sets of wheels. That could be a fun bike!

I met a fella riding the new 701 at TOD. He "loved it". MDADV?

10 minutes ago, 556baller said:

Holy cow!! 18000 bucks! Of course it's already decked out to the hilt. Yes the 690/700 is another bike to consider for sure. I'm pretty sure the motor is designed for long travel miles.

I will say it was really weird swapping from my Beta to my buddies Indian when we were in Death Valley. His 750lb beast turned very slow and you could really feel the weight. It was a very short lived swap. The first viewpoint we came to he plopped over on my bike because he could not get a foot down. 

I really am happy I started this thread here. It's making me rethink my choice of bikes. Not only by what you guys say but a few of my riding buddies as well. 

I don't get out and ride as much as I used to. A few times a month at most lately. For now I'm going to continue getting my Beta dialed in for more "short adventure rides" that are local here in CA, AZ, NV. I'm thinking my next big adventure might be the Grand Canyon in fall......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...