Sign in to follow this  

wheelies I want to know who can ride wheelies on their ADV bike.

Who here can ride wheelies on their ADV bike? I can not, I live in  with wheelie envy. I see people doing it like its nothing, what ever...

If you have a wheelie philosophy I'd like to here it also. 

Pics are rad too. 

That's cool!

My clutch master cylinder went out on a trip while I was fully loaded 2 up. I was coming into a stop light, trying not to stall, light turned green at the last second, sweet wheelie through the intersection. My girl asked if I meant to do it, of course I did...

• Like 3

On purpose wheelies? Without the lighter bike not much. Some on my YZ (I'm old), few on my XR and none at all (deliberate) on the Tiger. I too have wheelie envy. And stoppie envy. And basically envy for anyone who is young enough to be able to "bond" to the bike in that way without fear. But as my bones break rather than bend now, I'm generally way too timid to be flicking a 500+ lb. bike around like that. Under controlled circumstances such as a class or some such event with others around to help and encourage that might be different but since I'm lone wolf 99% of my riding time I'm conservative.

• Like 2

Not reliably.  I did a Chris Birch course on my 990 last year.  We all asked Chris to show us wheelies on the big bike.  He said it is one of the hardest things he does.  Given the long wheelbase and massive power you end up spinning more than wheelie-ing. 

He then hopped on a students 1190R, did two passes to get the feel, and then kept popping it up to a high angle, low speed wheelie.  It did take him 2 attempts, but then he got the feel and could pop it up at will.

He stressed you need to put a lot of energy own into the forks (like surge your body down), pull in the clutch, add some revs, and then time everything to give it that tug up as you release the clutch and get the front to come up.

Bottom line, easier said than done and I never rely on being able to wheelie on the big bike.  Take things slow.

One of the learnings was "Speed gets you into trouble.  Acceleration gets you through trouble."  Don't go rushing into things on big bikes!

• Like 3

My quasi step son, is pretty rad on motorcycle. He's been racing desert since he could almost walk. With that being said, he rides wheelies on everything. I finally said, ride my 990 and do wheelie. 

He tried, a few times. Result; "man your bike is ridiculous, not sure how you do it. I need to practice more with it." 

He later told me, as soon as he went around the corner, the first thing he did was hit 90 mph on street by our house. I guess I'll never know the secretes to unlocking the wheelie on my 990 because he will never ride my bike again...

I've been to Jimmy Lewis's class twice and he kind of frowns on the wheelie thing even though he likes to do them himself.  It's because he knows the danger.

One of the exercises you'll do in his class he calls "wheel lofting" and is an essential skill for those times you have to cross a log, ledge, a ditch or avoid an obstacle.

At one of the Taste of Dakar's in Pahrump they were doing training on the lakebed on the Friday (first day) of the event and this guy I met at the GS Trophy in '12 in Moab (Marco?) from Vancouver or something lofted his 1100 GS a bit too high and then perhaps because he didn't have his rear brake covered properly (?) the bike came down on the left side and snapped his femur!  Helo evac, trip to the hospital, multiple surgeries.  If I can find him, I'll try to get him to comment on what he thinks about doing wheelies on a big bike.

Certainly an increased danger, I broke my ankle looping one once, but they are just sooo fun to do. I do mostly leave the balance point wheelies to my grom or whatever small dual sport I have now a days. The little bikes also seem to handle falls much better.

• Like 1