Redverz Hawk II 4 Season Mountaineering Tent

• Administrators

HawkII07__56152.1490116028.jpg?c=2

I had heard Redverz was up to something and it turns out I was right.  They've come out with a new tent which isn't their signature motorcycle garage tent, but a new two person "mountaineering" four season tent.  It packs to 16" x 6" and weighs about 6 lbs but it seems they really aren't marketing it to motorcyclists but more hikers, mountain bikers, backcountry campers.  The photos show a mountain bike, not a motorcycle.

This actually seems like smart marketing for Redverz as the tent market is REALLY BIG to focus solely on the motorcycle market.  They're already pretty well known by us motorcyclists so I'm sure they'll sell quite a few to those who know the quality and want something a little smaller.

I use my Atacama tent for the hub/spoke or single destination rides.

My only concern though is the price: $649.  That seems really high for a 2 person tent.  Perhaps they can enlighten us on exactly how it's positioned.

• Like 2

• Administrators

I can ask Kevin Muggleton, the owner, if he wants to have one of us test it out.  I had their Gen 1 garage tent and the upgraded to the Atacama and have had a really good experience with them.  I sold my Gen 1 tent to @Rogers and I think he still uses it.

There's an interesting story behind the company and their struggles in a competitive industry.  He was a National Geographic photographer traveling off a motorcycle in Africa and got his stuff stolen once so he came up with the idea of having your bike inside.  Then there was a competitor who Kevin says basically copied his tent stitch for stitch and has fought to try to protect his patent.  I'm all for competition but wouldn't go near that competitor with a ten foot tent pole ;)  Kevin also has done two Dakar's and won the sportsmanship award for his assistance of another rider.  He and his wife Christine are super people and they're the kind who deserve our respect and patronage.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I need this tent in my kit!  I heard of the copy cat and believe they eventually lost the lawsuit and need to pay a significant portion of every one of their sales to Redverz now.  Rightfully so.

I'm a bit of a tent whore I'm thinking.  I have three or four now.  I've gotten rid of a couple.  My current bomb shelter is a Hilleberg and it's a phenomenal shelter but it's my first non free standing tent that I've ever had.  Likely my last. 

This one checks all of the boxes of things that I've been shopping for.  I'm bummed that it was released shortly after I'd just bought the Hilleberg.

I have a Hubba Hubba, and a Hilleberg Anjan tent, anybody interested so I can snag one of these before I hit the TAT? haha 

• Like 1