High Sierra 2017

On 8/11/2017 at 2:26 PM, greedyg said:

Just don't follow @bruinjon up the lower Dunderberg rd.  At least not if I'm sweeping!

The OHV area north of Mammoth and west of 395 is spectacular and very doable on a big bike.  @Cam McConnelland I spent hours over there just racing each other around up and down the hills and thru the trees.

https://a.rever.co/rides/203533

Do you have this as GPX?  I don't pay for Rever.  Also, Cam probably knows I'll take my GSA where I shouldn't so he might want to point me somewhere and follow with a GoPro for entertainment value :lol:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, WildTurkey said:

Do you have this as GPX?  I don't pay for Rever.  Also, Cam probably knows I'll take my GSA where I shouldn't so he might want to point me somewhere and follow with a GoPro for entertainment value :lol:

I think Greg and I are going to put together some GPX files... Greg?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, motochefarwi said:

No roosting! My headlight got shattered at TOD.

Crap!  You just reminded me that Drew Smith threw a rock at me on Titus Cyn Rd and broke my headlight lens.  It's been duct taped for months and I forgot.  Time to order up a million dollar replacement I guess.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 3:31 PM, justin73 said:

Hi All,

Anyone riding up from L.A. area?  Is this truly a big bike friendly event?  Sounds awesome and I am interested, just want to know what I am getting myself into :ride:  I would be on a GS if I decide to go.

Justin, did you manage to sign up?  Still going?

On 3/27/2017 at 3:02 PM, Jason R said:

With all the snow melt this summer, I wonder if there will be some water crossings?  

Yes please, wash away all the uphill silt, sandy whoops.  

Or expedite the process of turning the dust cake into cement... Looking forward to seeing you Jason.

• Like 3

I've got some stuff. Still up riding in British Columbia tho. Check out my Rever.

Just had a look at the tracks in the google drive @jasonr Gosh so many pretty colors. I have no idea what they mean lol! I remember Eric had some tracks from a few years back, but I can't find them in my Garmin. Ohh well I guess this year it will be all about making new friends, seeing some old ones and tearing it up on some new tracks! [mention=500]bruinjon[/mention] I'm not going to use the tracks we rode on! Ha!

Where is this hill climb folks are talking about? The one I see all the photos of?

54 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

You can find last year's tracks in last year's thread. They are on REVER too. Just friend me and you can see them. I think I created a group ride there called High Sierra

found them. "High Sierra White Mountain 9/4/16", "High Sierra Saturday ride 9/3/16","High Sierra Scouting 9/1/16" for those of ya'll on Rever.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, motochefarwi said:

found them. "High Sierra White Mountain 9/4/16", "High Sierra Saturday ride 9/3/16","High Sierra Scouting 9/1/16" for those of ya'll on Rever.

all set, just "copied to my ride" feature.  I intend to continue to test Rever app while out in the field and use the "ride it" features and follow the blue line.  I have been testing it out on local rides and it works pretty good.  however there is not turn by turn.  I will however use my spot tracking device to bread crumb too.  

• Like 1

ohh boy woke up to some Kenda Big Blocks at the front door this morning!  Going to do some spooning this weekend! :D I use these on the F 650 GS Dakar as well.  dig it.  Will be taking the R1100 GS 1996 out for her first adventure! still lots to do, more armor, Transmission guard reinforcement plate came in and hope the Acerbis Pro Rally Handguards make it on time! 

IMG_4812.JPG

• Like 4

11 hours ago, motochefarwi said:

Just had a look at the tracks in the google drive @jasonr Gosh so many pretty colors. I have no idea what they mean lol! I remember Eric had some tracks from a few years back, but I can't find them in my Garmin. Ohh well I guess this year it will be all about making new friends, seeing some old ones and tearing it up on some new tracks! [mention=500]bruinjon[/mention] I'm not going to use the tracks we rode on! Ha!

Where is this hill climb folks are talking about? The one I see all the photos of?

I think the colors are how advanced the route is, but I am not sure.  I load them in Locus Pro on a older HTC M8 phone and navigate that way.  

• Like 2

• Administrators

I usually used REVER just to record my tracks but used it to track pre-saved tracks at the Honda CRF250L Rally launch and it worked great!  But then I upgraded the app to I think 3.0 and used it in Utah and it kept crashing.  They've fixed that now though.

• Like 2

• Administrators

Don't be "that guy." Now's the time to make sure your bike is in good working order, you have fresh knobbies (if you're riding dirt), tools, tubes, plugs, pump, GPS, etc... If you have a question, please post it up. No such thing as a stupid question, especially if you are new to adventure riding. Just want to make sure you have a good time.

Please prepare for the temps! Plenty of riders came last year with either no sleeping bag or a summer or spring bag that was just not warm enough. Daytime temps are in the high 80's/low 90's and by bedtime it's in the 50's but because it's in a low point in the valley, the cold air descends and right before sunrise it very often will freeze. I thought about 29 was the lowest but last year someone actually said their thermometer said 18 degrees! It warms up very quickly once the sun comes up but you will sleep cold if you do not have an adequate bag, or even an insulated mattress for that matter.

Tracks will be posted soon and are identical to last year. Pick a group based on an honest assessment of your ability. Rides are self-organized and there are really no designated ride leaders as of yet unless they self-identify (kind of like Taste of Dakar). We had 14 come with us on an advanced ride last year and just three stuck with us the whole time. That tells me 11 either changed their mind (fine) or didn't understand what advanced meant. Actually, I found it a lot more fun to simply ride an area and explore whatever trails we found. It was way more interesting and fun. Keep in mind that conditions change so what was easy one year might be intermediate this year (I found Casa Diablo a bit more tricky two months ago than it was the year before) or vice versa (have a feeling Glass Mountain road won't be as loose). Jonathan reports Dunderberg is NOT easy; something I'll repeat at the event each morning.

We'll assemble at like 7:45 and self-organize based on what you want to ride that day and go over trail etiquette, the most important seems to be posting up at turns so you don't leave people behind (happens every time). I prefer to be leaving by 8:30 am but you do whatever you like.

You can certainly follow someone but consider using your GPS, especially if you haven't before. It's a great skill to acquire and will keep you out of trouble if you lose your group and need to find your way out (or if the leader doesn't know how to use gps and goes the wrong way). We got split up last year (happens every time) but everyone knew where we were meeting for lunch so it actually worked out fine. Please try not to get upset and just go with the flow; make it your own adventure.

Dinner Fri and Sat is provided but not breakfast or lunch so plan accordingly. Lunch spots are typically like Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Tom's Place and Bishop. You'll find gas all those places and ranges aren't too bad (watch it carefully if you're on a dirt bike).

There are hot springs close by and are wonderful to go to but tend to get crowded Fri and Sat nights. Clothing is optional so don't be surprised if you see nekkid people. Don't stare ;)

Showers and real bathrooms are at camp but you'll need to purchase shower tokens at the general store during their hours (close at 6?). I think they're like $2 for 5 min. I can get a shower in on one token.

Sunday morning most people pack up and leave and some will ride up Silver Canyon road up to WMRC at 12,400' to see that. I've done it a lot so I may skip that this year. The road up used to be upper level beginner but is more intermediate unless they've improved the road. There's one section that's a bit steep and loose but I saw two noobs do it fine before. Lots of tight switchbacks too. You can also get up there from the highway on a paved road but you have to go down to Big Pine to do that. Many come back down the mountain that way (south).

Let's please do one large fire pit this time. Many complained it wasn't as social when there's 10 different fires going.

Dinner will be amazing, trust me. Craft beer too from June Lake Brewing.

We'll have raffle tix for sale at the event as well ($10) so consider buying a few if you haven't or buy a few more. We got some good stuff to give away!

This event has always had a special vibe and I think that's due to the quality of people who attend. Please be open, patient, calm and just experience it for all it has to offer. If you like to drink a lot, this may not be the time to do that. With riding all day, the dry air and the elevation, you're probably not going to want to have more than a beer or two (at least that's me). If you're a Debbie Downer or too loud and obnoxious then I will ask you politely to leave. Let's leave the politics at home too. I really don't want to hear about how "right" you are about politics de jour. This is to unite us as riders. Not everyone agrees with your politics.

Quiet hours are 10 pm to 7 am. We're not the only ones there. There are many RV's with families and older people who will get really pissy if you're loud after 10 or start your bike (or generator) before 7 and it will get us booted for next year. Speed limit is 5 mph. No wheelies or roosting. Stay off large hill to the south on your bike (Jesse Kimball). You can hike it if you like. Ride on the road only and not footpaths to the bathroom.

There are MANY cattle around the area and they are very dark in color and are nearly invisible in the dark. Watch your speed and don't hit a cow. You'll have to buy the cow and will end up in the hospital.

Did I leave anything out?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

Don't be "that guy." Now's the time to make sure your bike is in good working order, you have fresh knobbies (if you're riding dirt), tools, tubes, plugs, pump, GPS, etc... If you have a question, please post it up. No such thing as a stupid question, especially if you are new to adventure riding. Just want to make sure you have a good time.

Please prepare for the temps! Plenty of riders came last year with either no sleeping bag or a summer or spring bag that was just not warm enough. Daytime temps are in the high 80's/low 90's and by bedtime it's in the 50's but because it's in a low point in the valley, the cold air descends and right before sunrise it very often will freeze. I thought about 29 was the lowest but last year someone actually said their thermometer said 18 degrees! It warms up very quickly once the sun comes up but you will sleep cold if you do not have an adequate bag, or even an insulated mattress for that matter.

Tracks will be posted soon and are identical to last year. Pick a group based on an honest assessment of your ability. Rides are self-organized and there are really no designated ride leaders as of yet unless they self-identify (kind of like Taste of Dakar). We had 14 come with us on an advanced ride last year and just three stuck with us the whole time. That tells me 11 either changed their mind (fine) or didn't understand what advanced meant. Actually, I found it a lot more fun to simply ride an area and explore whatever trails we found. It was way more interesting and fun. Keep in mind that conditions change so what was easy one year might be intermediate this year (I found Casa Diablo a bit more tricky two months ago than it was the year before) or vice versa (have a feeling Glass Mountain road won't be as loose). Jonathan reports Dunderberg is NOT easy; something I'll repeat at the event each morning.

We'll assemble at like 7:45 and self-organize based on what you want to ride that day and go over trail etiquette, the most important seems to be posting up at turns so you don't leave people behind (happens every time). I prefer to be leaving by 8:30 am but you do whatever you like.

You can certainly follow someone but consider using your GPS, especially if you haven't before. It's a great skill to acquire and will keep you out of trouble if you lose your group and need to find your way out (or if the leader doesn't know how to use gps and goes the wrong way). We got split up last year (happens every time) but everyone knew where we were meeting for lunch so it actually worked out fine. Please try not to get upset and just go with the flow; make it your own adventure.

Dinner Fri and Sat is provided but not breakfast or lunch so plan accordingly. Lunch spots are typically like Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, Tom's Place and Bishop. You'll find gas all those places and ranges aren't too bad (watch it carefully if you're on a dirt bike).

There are hot springs close by and are wonderful to go to but tend to get crowded Fri and Sat nights. Clothing is optional so don't be surprised if you see nekkid people. Don't stare ;)

Showers and real bathrooms are at camp but you'll need to purchase shower tokens at the general store during their hours (close at 6?). I think they're like $2 for 5 min. I can get a shower in on one token.

Sunday morning most people pack up and leave and some will ride up Silver Canyon road up to WMRC at 12,400' to see that. I've done it a lot so I may skip that this year. The road up used to be upper level beginner but is more intermediate unless they've improved the road. There's one section that's a bit steep and loose but I saw two noobs do it fine before. Lots of tight switchbacks too. You can also get up there from the highway on a paved road but you have to go down to Big Pine to do that. Many come back down the mountain that way (south).

Let's please do one large fire pit this time. Many complained it wasn't as social when there's 10 different fires going.

Dinner will be amazing, trust me. Craft beer too from June Lake Brewing.

We'll have raffle tix for sale at the event as well ($10) so consider buying a few if you haven't or buy a few more. We got some good stuff to give away!

This event has always had a special vibe and I think that's due to the quality of people who attend. Please be open, patient, calm and just experience it for all it has to offer. If you like to drink a lot, this may not be the time to do that. With riding all day, the dry air and the elevation, you're probably not going to want to have more than a beer or two (at least that's me). If you're a Debbie Downer or too loud and obnoxious then I will ask you politely to leave. Let's leave the politics at home too. I really don't want to hear about how "right" you are about politics de jour. This is to unite us as riders. Not everyone agrees with your politics.

Quiet hours are 10 pm to 7 am. We're not the only ones there. There are many RV's with families and older people who will get really pissy if you're loud after 10 or start your bike (or generator) before 7 and it will get us booted for next year. Speed limit is 5 mph. No wheelies or roosting. Stay off large hill to the south on your bike (Jesse Kimball). You can hike it if you like. Ride on the road only and not footpaths to the bathroom.

There are MANY cattle around the area and they are very dark in color and are nearly invisible in the dark. Watch your speed and don't hit a cow. You'll have to buy the cow and will end up in the hospital.

Did I leave anything out?

One section of Dunderberg wasn't very pleasant.  A spur off that goes along a pole line "road" to the north/east of the main road. I got through fine, but @greedyg had some fun picking up bikes about 30 times.  LOL. 

• Like 2