How to choose the best tent for adventure motorcycling

Hope this could be of value to some. It is an article I wrote on our blog page to choose the best tent for your adventure trips. 

http://www.pikipiki.co.za/how-to-pick-the-best-tent-for-motorcycle-travel/rsz_how_to_choose_a_tent_for_motorcycle_

How do you decide which tent will be the best for your trip?

Choosing the right motorcycle travel tent is a complex decision that’s influenced by where and when you camp, how many people, and also how you camp and how long. It does not matter whether most people spend less than two weeks per year camping or make it their home for months on end, it is worth while doing proper research when buying a tent that will be home on those epic expeditions.

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I would add that us motorcyclists should consider not purchasing from companies who donate to groups shutting down responsible vehicular access to our public lands. Probably more of an American thing, but still important to consider. A list of the ones to avoid: 

• Like 1

@Eric Hall is there information somewhere people can verify the stance of these companies? Meaning that we can make sure Camelback is for example definitely one company to avoid and not maybe have incorrect info on the company and then people avoid them in error? 

Edited by michnus
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Well the stance of these companies has been made clear by the organizations they've donated to and have been "verified" by people from dirt-friendly advocacy organizations listed in this link such as the AMA, CORVA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, etc...  Groups like The Conservation Alliance lists their donors on their site.

There's kind of a spectrum of environmental sanity where on the extreme left you have people who are explicitly for "human powered" exploration only and even against mountain bikes!  Then you have the anti-motorized vehicle people who hate dirt bikes, adventure bikes, side by sides, quads (MSR).  Near the center are a few companies that like to have it both ways; they both support these moto-hostile groups but also market to us moto people like Marmot, Yeti and a few others.  These are companies I like to call out on their Facebook posts with a comment of "you make some great kit but I prefer buying from companies who do not support groups shutting down responsible vehicular access to our public lands."  Then on the right side of the spectrum might be companies who are very much concerned about the environment and take steps to educate and mitigate our impact on it but choose NOT to support these more radical groups.  NEMO Equipment is one of those.

• Like 1