Burro Schmidt Tunnel and McIver's Cabin

• Administrators

@556baller invited me up to Ridgecrest to ride this past weekend and I'm glad I did!  Got to meet his lovely companion Tiff and enjoy the time riding and visiting.

I showed up Friday evening at about 6:30 pm, a three hour ride from my place in Irvine.  This was my first ride of the project 990 so I was pretty excited.  I did a bit of dirt that parallels highway 395 north of Kramer Junction and right before Atolia.

Saturday morning we had coffee then hit the trail headed for Burro Schmidt tunnel.  There's a cool story about the guy who dug it here.  It's like 8 miles up a dirt road off highway 14.  We ran into some jeepers at Bickel camp and they offered us a beer.  It was 10:45 so naturally we obliged ;).

We also stopped at what I think is the Dutch Cleanser mine and we tested out some deep sand and I managed to drop Jerry's bike when we switched steeds.  Turns out I'm not used to clutching because of my Rekluse and I stalled it on a hill.  His fatty front from GoldenTyre and triple clamps/damper from Emig Racing are quite nice though.

Got to the Burro tunnel, walked through and back which was super cool.  Some ass hat pissed in the tunnel and then another decided it would be a good idea to bring his cigarette inside and the walk back reeked of smoke.  And we wonder why trails get closed?  This is why we can't have nice things!

It was too early to head back and because I'm a man (joke) we decided to go check out McIver's cabin.  I'd been there way back in May of '11 and it had been only my second time off road on the big GSA.  Can't believe I bit that much off!  It was technical for sure but a lot of fun this time.

IMG_0380.JPG18216759_791104104385346_6695149415892184065_o.jpg

May have some more photos on my phone...

And this sweet video

• Like 1