GS Giants High Sierras - Sep 3-6 2015

• Administrators

Here's a nugget for those riding up from the SoCal area...  for an extra dirt treat, when you get to Bishop, instead of riding up hwy 395 to Benton Crossing Road and turning right, look for Casa Diablo road in Bishop and take that north to Benton Crossing road (then left to camp).  It's roughly 32 miles of really fast easy dirt but also scenic.

When 395 bends west in Bishop you want to instead stay straight which takes you on hwy 6 north.  And then in a mile or so before hwy 6 starts to bend east you'll see a road that continues north called Bridges Road.  Take that north about a mile where it dead ends at a T intersection at Jean Blanc Road.  Go left and then that quickly becomes Casa Diablo road.  You can thank me later.

Don't do it in the dark though :)

• Administrators

if anyone's curious what to bring to camp, here's what I'm bringing or would normally bring:

• Camping gear
    • tent
    • pad
    • air pillow (plus ear plugs; I sleep like a baby)
    • sleeping bag (temps down the 40's probably at night)
    • headlamp
    • camping chair (not a must)
    • jet boil (I like my coffee)
    • a few bars/jerky for trailside snacks
    • Starbucks Via coffee packs
    • $ for raffle, lunch on the trail.  Raffle tix are $10 each.  Shower tokens are like $2 I think
    • beer cup.  I bring one of those silipints or silicone pint cups.  We'll have red cups too
    • toiletry bag:  toothpaste, soap, shampoo, deoderant, toothbrush
    • camping towel:  I use one of those microfiber towels from REI
    • trunks for the hot springs, flip flops for walking around
  • Riding gear
    • Helmet
    • jacket/pants
    • Leatt neck brace
    • gloves
    • hydration pack (3 liters or more)
    • knee/shin guards
    • boots (good dirt bike boots, not hiking boots)
    • sunglasses
  • Other
    • camera, video camera
    • charging battery (Antigravity battery), cords
    • sunscreen
    • camping ax:  good for splitting wood and hammering tent stakes
    • GPS loaded with tracks and basemap background
    • tools, tubes, tire irons, etc.. for basic trailside maintenance
  • Like 1

Hello All!  

I'm Jonathan and I live in Santa Monica.  My friend who also signed up for the ride had to back out.  Anyone else coming from Los Angeles, Orange, or Ventura Counties?

If so, I'd like to see if anyone wants to meet up and take the scoot up there together.

Reply here, email bruinjon at gmail dot com, or hit me up on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/bruinjon

See y'all soon!

Jonathan 

• Like 1

• Administrators

The campsite wants us to maximize space since they anticipate being more booked than they were last year (or the 5 years before that) and are expecting us to be 4 to a site.

Last year, I shared a site with Rich and Robert and Rich had his jeep and trailer; Robert and I on bikes, and we had plenty of space.

I'm sure we'll have a few cases of someone pulling an RV or larger vehicle and we'll just have to work with what we have.  I just want everyone's expectations set that if they want to "spread out" with their vehicle, tents, etc.... you might be asked to scrunch it up a bit and share the site with at least two other riders.

A reminder on food... we are providing dinners Friday and Saturday night and you'll be on your own for breakfast and lunch. Lunch we typically will have in a town on our riding route. There is a general store at camp and then the closest restaurant is Tom's Place which is one exit south of Benton Crossing Rd off hwy 395. The fun way to get there is take a right out of camp and go down Benton Crossing Road then turn right at Owens Gorge road (easy dirt) into town there. Good lunch places are up and down hwy 395 like Lee Vining, June Lake, Mammoth Lakes, etc...

• Like 1

• Administrators

Beer updated: Mammoth Brewing is having more production issues and can't get us any IPA now. Instead, we will get Stone IPA, which is one of the best out there (in my opinion). Stone is 6.9% AVB, 77 IBU's. Keep that in mind at 6800' in elevation. We want you able to ride the next day smile emoticon

• Administrators

Few more camp updates:

Unfortunately it's too dry to have campfires. That is their call as the camp, not a State or national forest thing. Jetboils or cooking stoves are okay but no campfires.

Shower tokens are $2 and you need to get them before the store closes at 5:00 pm. They will leave the shower keys out late for us but #1 is always open. 1 token gets you 7 min of hot water and is always enough for me. I will get some extra tokens because I bet there will be a few folks who couldn't buy one in time. $15 each from me :D   (kidding)

Quiet hours are 10 pm to 8 am. This means no generators between that time too.

Please watch your speed in camp. They don't want any burnouts, wheelies, hot-dogging in camp.

The hill on the south side of camp is off-limits. It's tempting to want to go ride up it but they want it free of any vehicles. Hike up it if you want some great photos.