Double tube your tyres

Has anyone done this?  Think it would cause problems at freeway speeds?  

7. Double tube your tyres

If your bike has inner tubes (rather than having a tubeless design), you can double tube your tyres. This is where you cut an old tube around the centre and wrap it around the outside of the inflated tube. This acts as an outer skin to protect your inner tube from punctures, something you don't want to be getting in the middle of the Sahara! You will also need to ensure the lock nut is screwed up against the valve cap to allow the tube to move inside the tyre.

I'm one lucky dog in the flat department. In over 30 years of riding, two flats! And, I've logged more miles than I can count of rock & cactus out west. Both times, pinch flats by running lower tire pressures. Since I don't run those crazy low pressures for ADV, not worried too much about pinchies and for puncture flats like a nail or plant spike, the Slime type stuff works quite well.

I think you're most likely better off running UHD tubes like those from Bridgestone (3mm). Heavy suckers, but pretty tough too.

I think I would just run UHD tubes.  I did this for my Southwest tour (incl COBDR)  and had no problems (ran about 20 psi on my KTM690E).  I also selected a firm walled tire with harder rubber compound to help preven flats.  in my last 10,000 never a problem.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Bryan Bosch
      SALT LAKE CITY, UT – January 27, 2015 – (Motor Sports Newswire) –  Warp 9 is pleased to announce its latest masterpiece. OEM sized KTM 950 and 990 Adventure wheel sets.

The Front wheel is running the OEM size 21” x 2.15” Rim and the Rear wheel is also OEM sized at 18” x 4.25”. the front rim we paid special attention to and made the rim out of our best 7050 grade aluminum and then rolled it 1mm thicker than stock to produce the best front Wheel possible for the Adventures. Warp 9 then topped it off with ABS ready 300mm Floating Rotors on the front and a 240mm Floating Rotor on the rear.    Built up with oversized stainless spokes and nipples these wheels are ready for the back country.
      About Warp 9 Racing
      Warp 9 Racing is a Global leader in aftermarket performance wheels. For more information please contact or give us a call at 801 699-7979

• By Eric Hall
      Woody's Wheels are legendary.
      Isaac shows here why you'd want a set for your bike

If you ride your big bike off road a lot and are tired of changing your tires from knobbies to road tires and back, it may be a good investment to get a second set of wheels.  Besides, they are lighter and stronger than your OEM rims and will stand up to the abuse.  I have run a set of them for about three years now.  No complaints
    • By Bryan Bosch
      Who's mixing what tire brands/models front and back? I know this is common for enduro dirt bike riders, but how about when you spend 50-60% of your time on the street? Any issues to consider there? What are your experiences in the quest to find good street manners and solid off-road traction? What witches brew combos have you tried that worked out well?
    • By Nate J.
      Here's a little edit of the first trail ride I took the Tenere on after installing my first set of Heidenau K60 Scouts. Tons of fun! This is climbing Bald Mountain in the Oquirr mountains just West of Salt Lake City Utah.

• By Eric Hall

I figured now we have a bike, I'd put this thread here.
      What we have is a 2011 KTM 990 Adventure with just 3,000 miles!  It's very clean and has never even been off road before.  We hope to change that!
      My objective is to have a bike we can bring to all our regional events that can showcase some of the best the after market vendor world has to offer.  It's purpose is to become a basis of discussion as to how these things make a difference in our riding.  One of the reasons I picked a 990 is primarily because we couldn't get a new bike donated!  It's also because there are a lot of people making stuff for the 990 and it has a lot of good real estate on which to put custom graphics wrap on.   Besides, the 990 also happens to be a great bike in the dirt.
      It's also important to note here that none of this stuff is "free" that we're getting just because XLADV is so awesome.  This bike came out of my pocket and most of the aftermarket parts are being provided at simply a discount.  I'm happy to showcase these products and put sponsors' logos on the bike for their efforts.  That's one thing I wanted XLADV to stand out for and that's a solid partnership with the v