Shinko 804/805

shinko

shinko804805_big_block_adventure_touringshinko804805_big_block_adventure_touring

What is the deal with this tire from Shinko?  I've been seeing more and more of it lately with lots of good reports.  I checked the reviews at Revzilla and it's rated 4.9/5.0 with 27 ratings!

I only heard one bad report from a guy whose name I can't recall down in San Diego who is a helicopter pilot; he said the rear tends to hop and skip around in gravel.  But then Brent Smith just ran them on his 990ADV up to Idaho and back to Park City and he loves them.

As to price, an 805 rear in 150/70/18 (my size) is just $141.76.

But what I found really interesting was last night on Instagram, whoever manages the Shinko account for Australia chimed in with this:

The continental is built in the same factory as the 805. They share the same carcass construction, same rubber compound and a slightly different tread pattern. Although there is usually a large differential in cost depending on where in the world you are

If you have tried them, please leave a review here

Installing it on my bike (trying to) as we speak...I'll report back soon.

Installing it on my bike (trying to) as we speak...I'll report back soon.

what's your experience?

what's your experience?

I've had good dirt time with it and about 400 highway miles with it.

The tire is a solid choice.

Pros:

-Super great dirt hook up. That rear is practically a paddle tire compared to what I'm used to. New Years Day after the rain I putted around and almost got caught in some very loose dirt/grass, but with some throttle the bad boy hooked it up with a rain of traction and dirt flying. 

-Good braking traction descending in dirt.

-Excellent road manners. I'm no knee dragger but they give me confidence, are smooth at speed and planted...no vagueness.

Cons:

-Wearing somewhat quickly like an 80/20 would...so it's not really a con, but I'll just mention it here. I'd say it has another 2k on it I'm guessing.

-Slippery a bit on road reflectors at slow speeds....but it could be just me.

-Under 10mph they are bumpy...but I can't tell if it's the TKC80 up front which is just terrible for street IMO.

I could easily use this rear all the time...it shines in dirt and is very polite on the road.

Edited by ewxlt

you mind posting that here?  Thanks!

I see Revzilla has my size on sale for just $113.37 but out of stock :(

I want to try to get a better idea of mileage on the rear.  My benchmarks are the TKC-80 of which I'd get ~3200 miles on the GSA and 2600 on the 990.  Brent claims he's getting double the mileage of a TKC-80 on the rear so that's promising.  I hope to get a set soon and see for myself.  As I said above, they're on sale at Revzilla meaning you could get a set for under $200.

Curiosity got the best of me and I sensed a good story (what other topic generates more discussion?) so I got me a set of these to try on the #xladvproject990.

Dealer locator you can find here but got mine from BikeBandit for basically $200 ($75 front; $125 rear).

IMG_9764.JPG

Looks good! Interested to see how they run vs. the TKC80 (what I'm running).

I've had great results with the 805, if fact I'm running my second 805 and decide to run try the 804. The first 805, I got roughly 3500 miles on with no issues. I rarely run a tire down to the wear bar though. Initially I thought the rear tread looked too block like and used a grooving iron to split the center lugs to look more like a TKC80. However, since I started running a second one I decided not to alter the tread at all just to see if it was even necessary. So far I can't tell the difference between the two.

Prior to the 804 I ran a Dunlope D606, maybe due to tire pressure the D606 didn't last very long, it cupped so bad that I changed it roughly 2200 miles. So far I've been thoroughly impressed by both the 804 and 805. 

Both times I purchased them on Amazon, about $190 to my door in less than 2 days from Chaparral. 

Initially I had zero expectations, they were so cheap compared to the other tires I figured I could burn through one just in time to make to put good tire before the KTM Adventure Rally in South Dakota. Surprisingly, it was still in good shape and I ran it. Having nearly zero seat time ridding in mud, I felt that it did just fine. I was probably the only guy there not running a D908. 

Image.jpg

The sticker on the rear tire says: "mount balancing dot on sidewall adjacent to valve stem.  The red dot is the lightest point of the tire"  But there's no red dot! :(

Also, the recommended pressure on the side of the tires says 33 psi rear and 41 front!  That surprised me a bit.  I usually go about 38 front, 34 rear on highway then about 28 front/rear off road.

Have you been checked for color blindness? ;)

4 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

The sticker on the rear tire says: "mount balancing dot on sidewall adjacent to valve stem.  The red dot is the lightest point of the tire"  But there's no red dot! :(

Also, the recommended pressure on the side of the tires says 33 psi rear and 41 front!  That surprised me a bit.  I usually go about 38 front, 34 rear on highway then about 28 front/rear off road.

My front was also missing the red dot. 

Fun with tire pens
IMG_9766.JPG

Looks really good Eric! Pretty easy to paint on? Never used that stuff...

yeah super easy.  just have to color within the lines.  Can you recall how to do that from grade school?

You got me! I looked on the Shinko site at the tires and saw yours with the colours on them and thought, oh he must have some new prototype ones!

RPM

14 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

yeah super easy.  just have to color within the lines.  Can you recall how to do that from grade school?

Sorta... Is the stuff like paint? Or more waxy? Never used the stuff...

It's more like paint.  It flows out on an applicator and you kind of dab it on carefully so as not to let it drip over the side of the letter.  They say let it dry for 12 hours.

Put the new shoes on today
final.jpg