Motopreneur

What makes an adventurebike?

3 posts in this topic

So not too long ago I bought the R1150GSA, but before that I rode a Ducati Multistrada 1000DS. And I rode it pretty much as an adventurebike for as much as it would allow me.

Since I posted images of this on Instagram quite often, I'd get the occasional 'disapproving' comments mentioning either outright or between the lines it's not an adventurebike. Probably won't have to tell you the motorcyclejournalists didn't seem to think so either, seeing the pretty much all write the same thing: It's called Multistrada, but you better just stay on tarmac and it's a great bike. And even the guys at an organised offroad event openly questioned my sanity as I drove up on the Multi.

Back to Instagram, I've been seeing quite a few images on adventurebike-dedicated accounts of for example the Kawasaki Versys 1000, which seems to be considered an adventurebike At least by those IG-accounts. 

So all this made me wonder; why is the Multistrada often condemned as being a longlegged streetbike even though it has more groundclearance than the Versys and roughly the same suspentiontravel? Same goes for e.g. the Vstrom1000 (earlier models). I agree that the wider tyres on the Duc are definitely more road oriented and it will never be able to do the same things offroad as a KTM/GS/AT, but still... Keeping in mind that when the first GS's arrived on stage, the journalists didn't think much of it either.

17626329_1373671832695315_2559800727294456156_n.jpg.5338773b3c64dd84827bd567919e7e12.jpg

My previous Concours 14 was an adventuring sport-tourer. :D Defining a sport-tourer can be convoluting as defining an adventure bike. Both are clearly different from each other, but uses merge. So, it almost would be easier to describe what an adventure bike is not. I think... :unsure:

Riding up the Moki Dugway in Utah in 2016.

50_Moki_Dugway(pano).jpg

3 people like this