10th Annual High Sierra 2021

On 8/22/2021 at 8:41 PM, StephanSF said:

I'm totally new to gps.. I bought a zumo xt specifically for this event.. Hoping someone there will be able to assist a little. Also when are the tracks available? I'm. Looking for the least difficult ones.

This is all new to me too. Did you get help setting up your XT. If so can you share it with me. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Hall said:

Most Garmin’s can share tracks via Bluetooth now

I have a Garmin Montana 700 that can share wirelessly with other Garmins....just not the Zumo for some bizarre reason.

My buddy has a Zumo and I tried to share with him and it didn't work. So weird. You've got to use a laptop or email them to yourself, then download them to your phone. Use the Zumo app and wireless transfer from your phone. But it won't share between devices. 

Just my experience FWIW. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CJ Spinn said:

This is all new to me too. Did you get help setting up your XT. If so can you share it with me. 

I ended up resetting my XT, or at least I think I did, the reset procedure sais hold the power button for 20 seconds, it didnt give me any kind of reset message.

Apparently the EXPLORE app causes issues. After I reset the unit, the EXPLORE came back with a prompt to sign into the account. WHen I declined and loaded up the GPX file, the tracks went into the TRACKS app and the waypoints into the SAVED items area... which is kind of what I thought it should be doing.

However the whole thing is not very intuitive (why is there a TRACKS app, but not a Waypoints app, why are the items in different parts of the XT). Also, the icons you can assign in Basecamp to waypoints dont carry over to my XT. Also if you have items in a list in basecamp, you dont get a similar list in the unit, so there appears to be no way to organize your content on the unit itself.

So the short answer is I muddle my way through it and I now have the waypoints and tracks Erik posted, but the whole process is not very clear and the end result on the unit is not ideal. Im bringing a tablet with gaia on it and I may activate a Rever Pro subscription just to have some backup.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:07 AM, OnlyOneKenobi said:

Oh right. I have the 24k topo map. That's likely the difference you're seeing. 

Thats an extra cost item, right ? Is it worth it you think ? I thought my XT unit came with all kinds of maps, but when I was recently offroad here in vegas, I didnt see the trail I was on, which I thought was the whole point of the XT unit, that it was offroad capable and had the requisite maps.

1 hour ago, StephanSF said:

Thats an extra cost item, right ? Is it worth it you think ? I thought my XT unit came with all kinds of maps, but when I was recently offroad here in vegas, I didnt see the trail I was on, which I thought was the whole point of the XT unit, that it was offroad capable and had the requisite maps.

I didn't get the tracks loaded on my ZUMO. I'll follow you. I'm not looking to ride the A or B tracks.

• Administrators

Spoke with Justin the HD tour manager and he says all those trails se of camp towards Bishop like Casa Diablo, Chidalgo and Fish Slough are open. Those are safer non-forest areas to ride.

We will also do a ride to Bodie Friday.

I’d like to ride to a hot springs in NV Saturday.

So the short answer is I muddle my way through it and I now have the waypoints and tracks Erik posted, but the whole process is not very clear and the end result on the unit is not ideal. Im bringing a tablet with gaia on it and I may activate a Rever Pro subscription just to have some backup.

@StephanSF

If you do the rever Pro, don’t forget to download the off line maps. Much like google. Good you tube tutorials on the FAQ pages.

7 hours ago, StephanSF said:

It is. The 24k topo maps are around $100. It's silly. But there are lots of other places you can get free maps too. I would suggest checking out sole Zumo XF videos on YouTube to get a walkthrough of how to setup and use your model as they're all a bit different and slightly quirky. 

• Administrators
Is there a meetup spot or time? Trying to find out the plan for today. 

Rides are all self-organized and with so few areas to ride this year your choices are a bit limited. There’s a big group up at Bodie now. I’m at June Lake Brewing doing a bit of work.

Ride south to Crawley Lake or down Casa Diablo or Chidalgo canyon.

2 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

Rides are all self-organized and with so few areas to ride this year your choices are a bit limited. There’s a big group up at Bodie now. I’m at June Lake Brewing doing a bit of work.

Ride south to Crawley Lake or down Casa Diablo or Chidalgo canyon.

Sounds good thanks. 

• Administrators
Did the winners get picked/announced for the raffle? Paul said we didn't have to be present to win. We had $200 worth of raffle tickets purchased. Hoping me or my buddy got something. Just curious if the winners got posted somewhere?

We had a “Chris Ramey”(?) win three prizes: Sena dual pack 50s, GIVI card and some Maxima Racing Oils