10th Annual High Sierra 2021

7 hours ago, StephanSF said:

I totally forgot about basecamp LOL.. I imported the tracks Erik posted earlier into basecamp and your map is a lot nicer than what I see, you have a lot more detail.

Oh right. I have the 24k topo map. That's likely the difference you're seeing. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StephanSF said:

I totally forgot about basecamp LOL.. I imported the tracks Erik posted earlier into basecamp and your map is a lot nicer than what I see, you have a lot more detail.

Oh right. I have the add on 24k topo map. That's likely the extra detail you're seeing. 

1 hour ago, greedyg said:

Dude, you just described this whole crew....

That KLR has a decent range right?

Haha, fair enough!

With the stock vacuum petcock it would vacuum lock around 110 miles, I swapped it for a manual petcock and am supposed to be able to hit about 200mi on the 6 gallon tank. Most I've done so far on it is about 150mi, but yea...I can ride. Plus I'll bring a 1 gallon Rotopax as a backup. I won't let a little distance stand in the way of a good time.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Trailzrider said:

No I have not. That is what I am trying to plan. Not sure if any intermediate riders would be willing to give it a go this trip.

I have some old tracks from years ago.  I remember there being a bridge that was out between Aurora and Bodie, but we were able to circumnavigate.  #treadlightly

• Like 1

@Trailzrider

There is only small sections of the railway that are rideable IIRC. There is still railroad ties on the ground in a bunch of places. The rail was abandoned in Sept of 1917, because they built that hydro plant on Green Creek south of Bridgeport, they didn't need the same amount of wood to fire the steam engines anymore.  My route comes in to Bodie from further east than the railway route.  Actually from the Nevada side of the border. I rode right by the Aurora cemetery.

I recreated the ride in REVER from memory, it's pretty close I'm sure 🤔

https://a.rever.co/rides/2634564

Here's the old railway route.  Look close you can still see the RR ties:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1ZEO7Gb5xO4Fimq0YSn2-eKgB6Q4&ll=38.067934839635825%2C-118.91479321532951&z=11

Edited by greedyg
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, greedyg said:

@Trailzrider

There is only small sections of the railway that are rideable IIRC. There is still railroad ties on the ground in a bunch of places. The rail was abandoned in Sept of 1917, because they built that hydro plant on Green Creek south of Bridgeport, they didn't need the same amount of wood to fire the steam engines anymore.  My route comes in to Bodie from further east than the railway route.  Actually from the Nevada side of the border. I rode right by the Aurora cemetery.

I recreated the ride in REVER from memory, it's pretty close I'm sure 🤔

https://a.rever.co/rides/2634564

Here's the old railway route.  Look close you can still see the RR ties:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/embed?mid=1ZEO7Gb5xO4Fimq0YSn2-eKgB6Q4&ll=38.067934839635825%2C-118.91479321532951&z=11

ok I remember this track!  must have been some 4-5 years ago.  It was gnarly two track (from the 167 up to the base of the first way point) and I believe I was with Jonathan and Dennis.  the sand was so silty we didnt even make it up a the first section from the north side of the Mono.  If I recall we tried to start from the 167, but ended up double backing.   Then I saw a dude on a 990 riding solo and he ripped right past us.  ahhhhhh the memories.  2021 is a new year and let see what it holds for us!  maybe North to south will be a good option?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, motochefarwi said:

ok I remember this track!  must have been some 4-5 years ago.  It was gnarly two track (from the 167 up to the base of the first way point) and I believe I was with Jonathan and Dennis.  the sand was so silty we didnt even make it up a the first section from the north side of the Mono.  If I recall we tried to start from the 167, but ended up double backing.   Then I saw a dude on a 990 riding solo and he ripped right past us.  ahhhhhh the memories.  2021 is a new year and let see what it holds for us!  maybe North to south will be a good option?

Sounds like the kind of adventure riding we all (deserve) want 😉

• Like 2