Rainier_runner

Instagram

104 posts in this topic

That video was funny!!!  I did some looking to find it (because I don't have FB) and found it was made in 2012.

Some interesting aspects of IG that I had no clue about until this thread.  There are tools to get, check, verify, etc followers.  I had no flipping clue about any of that and am realizing many use IG as somewhat of a business tool of sorts.  Yes social media is the way to go currently and it is what it is.  I'll still be that nerd w/o a ton of followers who doesn't post quite enough to garner millions more but enough to make myself smile!  Oh and yes sunsets, feet in the sand, plane wing and so much more inline with the video!

2 people like this

I actually sometimes feel it is all kiddies bullshit. But as you say, for businesses unfortunately it is invaluable. I creamed myself laughing the 1st I saw that clip a few years ago. And it was due to that clip that I stayed away from Instagram. ;):D

2 people like this

narcissism-paris-hilton-vanity-narcissim-demotivational-posters-1342582652.jpg

Shame on me.

You know that old saying "fool me once, shame on you... fool me twice, shame on me?"

Playing on Instagram has been a lot of fun for me.  I really do enjoy finding these riders from across the globe with maybe a few hundred followers but stunning photos, stories and personality and then watching them explode in popularity.  But it hasn't really been all sunshine and lollipops.

I noticed recently that one of these riders whom I've helped out in quite a lot more ways than just reposting has ceased tagging us.  Whether someone tags us or not (#xladv) really doesn't concern me (although our tag count is upwards of 60k right now) one way or the other except that I see this particular one as an intentional slight on their part, based on something they said to me which was "why should I tag you if you're not actively reposting my photos?"

Are you kidding me?!!!  So who's the one person most responsible for your rise in popularity?  Who's the one who's gotten you the most sponsorships?  Trips?  Help fixing your bike?  Finding you employment, etc...?  I told them that I was still reposting them but when I see they get more likes on their post than I do, it's apparent they no longer need the boost I provide them.  They've made it.  They've arrived.  You're welcome!  Besides, a few people had messaged me saying they were getting tired of seeing that person's photos get reposted so much.

So had this person joined the forum and made a contribution to the community here?  Had this person written product reviews for the gear they'd received and leveraged our social media as a way of thanking their sponsors and repaying the value of what they received?  Nope.

So this is just reason #1237 why I've made the shift in how/what I post on our Instagram feed.  Feeding narcissism doesn't build community.  If you want the world to bow at your feet and worship you then you're simply not wanted here.

2 people like this

It is really a pity to hear this Eric. Amazing how a bit of exposure can turn seemingly ordinary people into fake celebs with overinflated egos. But in your case with XLADV I guess your game will be different to the us as you are a sharing page. Many would start to think you are their gateway to fame and you will get more them in the future for sure. 

In the last 15 years I have seen so many shooting stars in the Adv community. Big show-offs start fast and furious wanting to be know and then burn out and disappear after a few years. But a few famous adventure riders are the same as your example. As example I asked some old hand famous adventure/overland bikers to add a quote to our page but it is for fun and no moneys involved. Many of them did not even had the common decency and manners to reply and tell me to p-off. And they did get my mail and Faceook messages. 

Funny thing about all this, is that our niche of adventure riding is still small and will always be. Thinking people will become rich from chasing fame on social media is a pipe dream. In our case being famous on social media is like winning at monopoly :D

I still believe the person you mention will be in the minority, I think most still are just going about this for fun. 

This old Windhoek lager adverts  from South Africa is so fitting :D

Edited by michnus
1 person likes this