10th Annual High Sierra 2021

• Administrators
Hi all, unfortunately I won’t be able to attend this event due to last minute home construction schedule conflicts.  Will I be able to get a refund?

Typically I don’t do refunds 2 weeks out (listed that up front) but no caterer this year so much easier for me. If you’re WK then I already refunded you

On 8/26/2021 at 1:36 AM, motochefarwi said:

Great, yes I believe Eric does have one that had been color coded with the ABC routes.  some of us have been fortunate to ride many of the tracks already (over several years) and are beginning to explore other areas as this is a good foundation from camp.  you will find out that there is just never enough time to ride all the routes and it will keep you coming back for more.  The High Sierras is really a great place for us to unwind and use our bikes for what they were meant for.  

I downloaded this from my Garmin Base Camp.  In Base Camp it is color coded.  But when I transferred it to Google it may have been "lost" in the translation.  Try to view it in Garmin and open and "view detailed data list".  They are labeled A,B,C in there. 

Hope you dont mind a few more questions..I have the tracks and waypoints in Basecamp. I manually changed icons and colors (I assume the A routes are easiest and B and C progressively harder) with A in Green and C in red ?

When I transfer the files from Basecamp to my USB connected Zumo XT, nothing is preserved, not the track names, colors or waypoint icons.

Is that normal ? If not, any clue as to how I should export/import them ?

Thanks !

• Like 1

Hope you dont mind a few more questions..I have the tracks and waypoints in Basecamp. I manually changed icons and colors (I assume the A routes are easiest and B and C progressively harder) with A in Green and C in red ?

When I transfer the files from Basecamp to my USB connected Zumo XT, nothing is preserved, not the track names, colors or waypoint icons.

Thanks !

Correct. About the ABC’s
Mind you the terrain changes every year. Be on your toes. Going into new areas is part of the adventure! Buddy up with some always, carry more water then you need 3-4 liters, extra gas too!

For the tracks and routes.

I don’t know the reason for the transfer not being translated. May need to check the actual format it is in before it goes.

I suggest loading up your phone and your gps to have both. Also a good paper map is not a bad idea.

Hope this helps.
Maybe someone else who has the same gps may be able to help?

May be a trip and error.
  • Like 1

• Administrators
10 hours ago, StephanSF said:

Thanks !

I haven't posted any yet and I can't know which tracks you have  A or red is typically the hardest.  I'll post them Mon or Tue.

Correct. About the ABC’s
Mind you the terrain changes every year. Be on your toes. Going into new areas is part of the adventure! Buddy up with some always, carry more water then you need 3-4 liters, extra gas too!

For the tracks and routes.

I don’t know the reason for the transfer not being translated. May need to check the actual format it is in before it goes.

I suggest loading up your phone and your gps to have both. Also a good paper map is not a bad idea.

Hope this helps.
Maybe someone else who has the same gps may be able to help?

May be a trip and error.
Thanks for the help, I have the tracks in my GPS and in gaia as well, so I should be good, just having a hard time figuring out my new GPS unit, but I can make it work.

My bike has a range of over 200 miles depending on how I drive but I guess I'll get one of those red fuel bottles..

Im a little nervous about this trip, I won't lie. Hope I meet you there. Thanks again for your help.
  • Like 3

Thanks for the help, I have the tracks in my GPS and in gaia as well, so I should be good, just having a hard time figuring out my new GPS unit, but I can make it work.

My bike has a range of over 200 miles depending on how I drive but I guess I'll get one of those red fuel bottles..

Im a little nervous about this trip, I won't lie. Hope I meet you there. Thanks again for your help.

Anytime. You are among a good bunch of fellas. Relax, enjoy the ride, enjoy the laughs, have fun. And most importantly ride your own ride. No questions are dumb, on the forum or at the rally. That’s how I learned.
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Eric Hall said:

I haven't posted any yet and I can't know which tracks you have  A or red is typically the hardest.  I'll post them Mon or Tue.

Oh sorry, that post was to motochfarwi who had linked me to the 2016 rides which are color coded green blue and red and labeled A, B and C etc. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
Its going to be cold in the mornings.  Mammoth lakes weather is reporting 35 degrees.  It might get colder out at camp.  
http://cdn.xladv.com/uploads/monthly_2021_08/image.png.8368b2aa3dc917f4fd39d43ec2064af0.png

Thank you Jason!

Very important to understand that the campground is in the long valley caldera at a low point where all the cold air settles. Mammoth may be 35 and camp with be 20! Ive seen it as low as 18 but it’s usually 25. Not that cold at bedtime but very cold right before the sun comes up.

Come with a summer bag (35-45 degrees) and you’ll be sorry! Use an insulated pad too. I had a $10 Target air mattress and it felt good but sucked all the heat out of me.

A head cover of some kind is good too.
  • Like 1

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Barry Michael Wehrli said:

@Eric Hall Don't see my name on the list of attendees, but I am coming... unless my father-in-law takes a turn for the worse.  Temps noted, thanks.

@motochefarwi @Jason R  I assume there will be plenty of space around to park my truck with you guys.  I plan to arrive around 2 pm on Thursday.

I don't see you have registered yet